THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Would you laugh these Wracks off the table?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? Empty
PostSubject: Would you laugh these Wracks off the table?   Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05 2012, 04:12

I threw together some homemade wracks tonight for what would be a mostly wrack/haemonculi army list and I was looking for any input. They are pretty rough, and unfortunately so are the images. I just used modeling clay for the aprons and mask because I did not want to waste green stuff on an experiment.

Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? 2012_12_04_21_26_50

Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? 2012_12_04_21_27_19

The warrior to the left of them are purely for scale. The one to his right is made from a plastic necromunda ganger and high elf legs. The two on the right use Orc torsos, which makes them very bulky and hunched, as well as a goggled-gasmask head. Part of me thinks that they are too big and awkward to be Eldar. The other part of me likes the "Orkiness" of them, considering they have basically the same combat stats as an Ork boy anyway. Plus being hunch-backed fits in with the stereotype of the mad scientists' assistant.

I have the parts to literally make dozens of these, so they cost me nothing. The questions mount though..

Are these readily identifiable to you as wracks? Or do they just look like orks in aprons?

Any inexpensive ways to get or convert liquifier guns? There isn't much reason to use Wracks without their signature weapon.

I think I have some masks laying around from the Talos/Chronos kits somewhere. I don't think those leather goggle masks are going to cut it.
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Would you laugh these Wracks off the table?   Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05 2012, 16:57

I'd say they look alright for Wracks. I mean, if my kroot in tattered robes fly with people, I'm sure your guys will as well. For Haemonculi stuff, I'd say anything goes as long as it's well done and painted.

stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Would you laugh these Wracks off the table?   Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08 2012, 17:54

I appreciate the input but I decided that they just weren't up to snuff anyway. Instead I dug into my reserves and pulled up the 30 beastman gors I had been saving to make a chaos cultist unit out of. Considering the price of the new plastic cultists, I realized this would be a better use.

Below are some straight up Wracks with "bubble heads". I made some additional bubble heads by covering normal heads off the wyches sprue with putty and super glue. Those did come out alright but still need some sanding.

Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? 2012_12_08_11_52_56

There really isn't much to change besides replacing the heads. 1 out of 5 had a chaos symbol on his belt that was easily covered or filed down. I also did not like the wooden handles on the axes (or the fact they were axes at all), so I cut them down into cleavers which are more wrackish IMO. I also made a neat agonizer out of a Talos spine thing, but I forgot to photo it.

I was debating about filling all of their feet out with green stuff so they didn't have cloven hoofs. I decided instead that I kind of liked them; I mean we are playing Frankenstein (if not god) here anyway. I also really like the thick patches of fur, I think they fill the gnarlskin idea well. The best part of these though is that they are the same size as the other Dark Eldar models, as opposed to the kit-bashed orks which were huge relatively

The previous experiment with the ork bodies though did give me an idea for the liquifier guns. which I'll be using on my new versions. Here is one I might actually keep.

Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? 2012_12_08_11_50_58

I personally find the idea of firing corrosive fluids from the face/mouth makes much more sense to me. There is a pressure bulb on the other side of the gun you can't see from that angle.

These older gors included 1 large and 1 medium/ body per sprue of 5. I used some of the medium sized ones as Acothysts, and turned the rest of the medium and large into Grotesques. This is actually easier than the wracks since you don't need as many, and the extra talos arms/masks work for these purposes. They do look a little scrawny on the 40mm bases though.

Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? 2012_12_08_11_54_54

The largest one in the front will be my Abberation, but he is actually from the inquisitor 54mm line of models. He looks just about perfect as a grotesque though IMO. He's huge, but hunched over to the point that he's no taller than the rest. Unfortunately being metal means I couldn't get a picture where he wasn't reflecting the flash.

Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? 2012_12_08_11_55_07

It makes me sad that only 1 Grotesque per unit gets a liquifier. I need to do some wire and green stuff work on this one but you get the idea.

Anyway, thanks for letting me bounce some ideas off you Basketball
Back to top Go down
Sathonyx
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Would you laugh these Wracks off the table?   Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02 2013, 20:06

I liked BOTH your ideas for conversions, going with beastmen and orc torsos with the beastman bodies slightly edging out the orcs. Wracks are suppossed to be "muscled up" DE, so the orc "hunched over" look kinda gets away from that. I don't know how many "shredder to blaster" conversions you've done, but I'd try a cutting the barrel end off a splinter pistol and add a shredder barrel/muzzle. Then either green stuff or very flexible tube from pistol handle to source. I definitely liked the idea of fantasy elf chain mail lower torso and would even consider cutting the beastman torso at the waist to use it.
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

PostSubject: Re: Would you laugh these Wracks off the table?   Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04 2013, 11:05

I like the idea. Coven models are great because the fluff allows you to justify converting just about anything into one, as long as it looks a bit brutish when finished. I find the Talos/Cronos has plenty of spare parts that can be used to tie models in to the coven theme.

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you laugh these Wracks off the table?   Would you laugh these Wracks off the table? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would you laugh these Wracks off the table?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: