THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Venom arc of fire

Go down 
+10
Gobsmakked
Orthien
Blind_Baku
Siticus the Ancient
Azdrubael
Dra'al Nacht
1++
Anggul
Darkgreen Pirate
Tony Spectacular
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony Spectacular
Kabalite Warrior
Tony Spectacular

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08 2012, 18:42

At a recent tournament, TFG raised a stink about my Venoms' arc of fire. He insisted that since there was no specification in the book, that both weapons were hull mounted (!) despite that obviously not being the case for the top weapon at least. The TO came over and ruled that both weapons had 360 degree arcs. The guy whined about it for the rest of the game, but I am wondering if the TO was right about the bottom weapon. I could see equal arguments for pintle or hull mount for it. Is there an official answer?
Back to top Go down
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite
Darkgreen Pirate

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08 2012, 19:51

I usually rule my bottom as hull mount and the top as pintle, after all a wych climbing on the canopy and shooting backwards just seems so darkeldar-esque.

I have had opponents give me a 180* on the bottom gun, they figure if a modern helicopter gunship can almost do it a 41st millenium space elf super boat ought to be able to as well.

I have not seen an official wording, but I suspect the TO felt the need for punitive measures vs TFG, so I wouldnt count on so generous a ruling in the future Wink AFAIK, the brb says to use common sense regarding arc of fire, if it looks like it could then it could, but as we all know common sense is often in short supply around the game table......

Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08 2012, 20:31

Yeah, the bottom gun is clearly not 360 degrees. Not that it would ever matter seeing as they're the same AV all the way around.

"Oh how awful, did he at least die painlessly? To shreds you say? Well, how's his Dracon holding up? To shreds you say? Very well then... Sad, sad, terrible gruesome news about my colleague Archon Mhu'bhutu." - 'The Feather', Dracon of the Bladed Lotus
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08 2012, 21:53

I play it as what you see is what you get; top is 45 degree arc of fire bottom has at least 180

Kabalite Warrior

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09 2012, 06:58

Did you mean top 180° and bottom 45°? They're the firing arcs we use anyway.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09 2012, 08:05

Why does it even matter?

You were doing some far fetched LoS hiding?

Last edited by Azdrubael on Sun Dec 09 2012, 14:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tony Spectacular
Kabalite Warrior
Tony Spectacular

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09 2012, 13:40

No, no shenanigans on my part. I had two venoms set up to target one unit, but due to some bad rolls on his part the first venom cleaned up the unit all by itself. So, I wanted to target a second unit which he now said was an ineligible target due to arc of fire.

Wych
Siticus the Ancient

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09 2012, 18:07

Top is pintle mounted, the same way that the Raider and Ravager front guns are, and like all Storm Bolters and Multimeltas on Rhinos/Land Raiders. Bottom can move 45 degrees to either side. That's how I've been using mine, anyway.

It's a shame that the 6e rulebook is supervague about this. Four pictures and that's it, as if every single vehicle was on a Rhino hull, but that's not really the case.

Tony Spectacular
Kabalite Warrior
Tony Spectacular

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09 2012, 19:02

I like 180 top and bottom, personally. I even said that when the TO said I could have 360. I wanted a fair ruling, not an unfair advantage due to TFG shenanigans. I feel that the gunner could move all the way to either side up top, but I think that climbing onto the canopy is a little ridiculous. Fluffwise I love it, but I can't see any way it's justified as far as the model goes. I could see a case being made for the bottom being 360, as there is nothing on the bottom of the Venom inhibiting its movement, but I think that 180 is a fair compromise, especially given the helicopter example above and that you have to assume that the pilot is firing, and can only fire at what he can see.

Wych
Siticus the Ancient

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09 2012, 20:24

Eh, the same argument can be made about Storm Bolters on Rhinos and Guard vehicles. It'd be hilarious to see a Space Marine stomping all over the hull to get a shot at the targets behind his Rhino, but sadly they'll have to remain in our imagination, as the models will always only stay in the pose they are glued in.

I wouldn't argue against 180 arc of the bottom cannon, though, for the very same reasons already stated.

Blind_Baku
Kabalite Warrior
Blind_Baku

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10 2012, 12:38

Had this discussion about raider's Dark Lance. The BRB does not give static Pintle = 45 or 360 anymore. it saus draw from the weapon. So... how far does it turn? thats your arc. If it is glued down, how far SHOULD it be able to turn? etc...

I'm a big fan of a rough 90 (45 to the left and right of center)
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11 2012, 20:26

I always assumed they were both 90°. Bottom was fixed and used the standard rules and the gunner can't physically move any more due to the railings etc without climbing on the sides. Keep in mind a venom would move quick and without hooks like the passengers have the gunner would not last long trying to fire backwards.

As for Pintle mounded on Rhinos I always assumed the whole mounting rotates turret style rather than the gunner moving around.

Kabalite Warrior Helm Project Log: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t5342-real-life-kabalite-helm
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11 2012, 21:41

Huh, I have always played the Venom's top cannon as pintle-mounted with 90 degrees to each side, if the gunner leans forward a bit (same with my Raiders & Ravagers). But the bottom one I have always played as fixed, forward-firing. I don't see what would allow it to swivel, plus the Venom is so maneuverable it wouldn't have to.

Orthien wrote:
As for Pintle mounded on Rhinos I always assumed the whole mounting rotates turret style rather than the gunner moving around.

^ this.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11 2012, 23:14

Orthien wrote:

This is how it works, and that's why the picture in the rule book shows a pintle mounted storm bolter as having a 360degree arc of fire. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
cammy
Hellion

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17 2012, 18:24

Just a query though, when putting together a venom the under slung cannon fit into a 'circle' holding with a square box to hold it in, if I replace this with a magnet it will rotate 360 degrees. The way it is modelled when putting it together to me implies it is a turret not a hull mount- and only by glueing it into a static pose is the reason it doesn't move.

Example - a predator turret is clearly a turret however if it is glues in place and doesn't move it still have the turret rules. Just because the venom cannon isn't a conventional turret to me shouldn't imply it is anything but.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Ivan
Wych
Crazy_Ivan

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 25 2012, 14:47

I have always played 90 degree arc on top and bottom guns, it would be nice if GW gave a definitive ruling on it though.
Back to top Go down
curebdc
Hellion
curebdc

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27 2012, 06:36

ive always assumed 180 on top and 90 on bottom but it seriously has never come up just because they get where they need to be anyway. Agreed with Ivan tho I wish there was a more definitive answer.

were long be-nightmared."
-Keats
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Venom arc of fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Venom arc of fire   Venom arc of fire I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Venom arc of fire
Page 1 of 1