THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Questions on Corsairs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord Clazaryn
Kabalite Warrior
Lord Clazaryn

Questions on Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Questions on Corsairs   Questions on Corsairs I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05 2013, 01:31

Am I reading this right? I can take wraithgaurd with my corsairs (totally against thefluff) but not rangers (but probably the ost fluffy alliance ever)? It says any FA or HS options but rangers are troops for Eldar. But a battlescribe list says I can take them. Is this a mistake?

But even so, are rangers worth it with corsairs? I started collecting CWE because I hadn't heard of corsairs so I have five rangers (which have been a 120 point handicap every game I've played with them) so would they work? So far, their only use was scoring and as elites...

Also, I'm unsure of how to equip my corsair squads. I know the venom squads would be cool but I really don't want to buy a whole other armarda of venoms just for allies and they couldn't even fire their heavy weapons while moving anyway. So I'm thinking giving them corsair jet packs but what weapons would you equip them with. The fusion gun has a rather short range and they are fragile so is it worth giving them that or just sitting back with an EML and a flamer for assault deterrent and blasting away. Also, shuriken catapults or las blasters? I'm not liking that strength 3...

Can Void Dreamers swap for rulebook powers because their powers are kind of lame. The update insinuates not but really doesn't address it.

Is it worth putting holo fields on my warp hunter? I'm nervous it will suffer reaper syndrome (one weapon that can be destroyed easily).

And finally, is it worth putting shuriken cannons on the jet bikes?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Corsairs   Questions on Corsairs I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05 2013, 03:13

Let me try to address all of your questions (There's a lot to chew on here Shocked )
The FW FAQ states that you can take Rangers as an elites slot. Though they make total sense from a fluff standpoint, they decided to allow you to take them as the Elites outcasts slot. This means that you cannot take another CWE FA or Elites unit for that slot....and they aren't scoring...they blow for Corsairs.

You can take Wraithguard as the elite outcasts slot(though this makes no sense from a fluff standpoint). Take a Prince, use the deepstrike rule that the Prince that can give to 3 units, add 10 Wraithguard, and watch the wackiness ensue Razz . I did it once. Only because I could. Scared the bujezus out of my opponent who in turn totally overreacted to them and forgot about objectives.

I equip at least one squad with jetpacks and EML's. Nothing else. It's a good objective holder and general pain in the rear of your opponent with their jump-shoot-jump moves.
Venom squads should have at least a shuriken cannon in the unit. You can fire it if the venom moves 6" or less(shuriken cannons are assault weapons cheers ). I usually add a fusion gun too if I have the points, though I keep these units as far away from enemy units as possible and only use them to attack light flanking units. I prefer to use Falcons for the transports. They are resilient, have a great weapon in the Pulse Laser(at BS4), and can generally keep your fragile over-glorified Guardians alive to take objectives later. I always take las blasters for the simple reason that you don't want to be anywhere near 12" of an enemy unit(think T3, 5+ armor...)

The Void Dreamer can't take psychic powers from the book. Check the FW FAQ on psychers. It's pretty clear on that. Void Dreamers are a bit tricky to use as they aren't all that great(aside from the Withering psychic power which is quite the slice of awesome) I use him with a jetpackand neural shredder to accompany a Voidstprm Squad with two fusion guns. It's a great little distraction unit that your opponent can't avoid dealing with.

I usually don't take a Holofield with my Warp Hunters(I have two of them), though I can say that it would probably be worth it if you were taking only one in an allied formation.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS take shuriken cannons with your Corsair Jetbike squads. At BS 4, and with their Scout ability to outflank you can get rear/side armor shots galore cheers

hope this helps a bit. I play the Corsair list quite a bit and would be happy to help with any questions if you need it.

Cheers,
ESE

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Lord Clazaryn
Kabalite Warrior
Lord Clazaryn

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Corsairs   Questions on Corsairs I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05 2013, 06:02

Awesome ESE, that was exactly what I was looking for! Very Happy I was looking for the FAQ but u
I could only find 6th ed updates. A link maybe?
One last question, if I wanted a bladesworn retinue, would it be worth giving them power weapons? It would make them rather expensive for only T3 4+...

Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Corsairs   Questions on Corsairs I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05 2013, 06:40

Psyker update:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/p/Psykers.pdf

IA 11 Doom of Mymeara FAQ/Errata:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/i/IA11Q&A.pdf

I haven't used the Bladesworn yet, but I will be modeling them all with power weapons(2 lances, and axe, and maybe a maul) It's pretty much our only good melee unit aside from Harlies in Venoms. Pricey, but I think that they would be worth it.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Corsairs   Questions on Corsairs I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05 2013, 14:19

Speaking of taking Wraithguard as the Craftworld Outcasts unit, I think you could make some pretty cool fluff for that. Eldar typically consider use of wraith constructs as akin to necromancy, and believe it to be an abhorrent thing that should be only done when absolutely necessary. I could see a spiritseer who believes that the Eldar should make more use of them, on the grounds that it's better to raise the dead to fight for you than make the few living Eldar die in battle. Since rest of the Craftworld probably wouldn't be very responsive to the idea, he migth become an outcast. Meh, I just kind of like the idea of a creepy old Eldar necromancer and his bodyguard of Ghost Warriors.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Corsairs   Questions on Corsairs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions on Corsairs
Page 1 of 1