THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?

Go down 
+3
Shbur
Massaen
Aschen
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Aschen
Sybarite
Aschen

Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? Empty
PostSubject: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2013, 09:23

I was wondering if anyoen thought it would be a good or bad idea to run the Baron in a squad of Reaver Jetbikes
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2013, 11:36

The main issue is that they vary at speeds. The baron brings little to the reavers and slows them down. Did you have a plan in mind?
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Aschen
Sybarite
Aschen

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2013, 18:06

They dont vary that greatly at speeds, except for their turbo boosting. If you are using your bikes to shoot, you just shoot, and dont worry about the turbo boosting. If you need to turbo boost, detach the baron

As for what he adds. He gives a touch of added combat effectiveness, hit and run, stealth, a 2+ Invul to save on. Assault and defensive grenades.

He's also pretty dirt cheap for what he brings
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2013, 18:09

No eldar jetbike move though
Back to top Go down
Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2013, 18:14

I would say that Baron could be useful in a unit of Reavers, but he kind of hampers what makes them most useful, and that's bladevaning. I believe, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, you bladevane in your turbo boost move which is separate from movement. That's how Mushkilla does his "L" shaped blade vane moves. So, if you throw Baron in a unit if Reavers, you kind of turn them into glorified scourges because he can't turbo boost at all; imo that's not worth it.

Put Baron in a unit of Beastsmasters like Thor suggests and witness the destruction!
Back to top Go down
Aschen
Sybarite
Aschen

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2013, 18:16

I might have missed it, but I have been scouring the books, and I have not read anything denying a unit those special moves. I mean, the Baron cannot make the move himself, but as long as he stays in coherency, it doesnt matter. That limits it, yes, but with the right position, you can limit the effect it has..
Back to top Go down
Druchii
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2013, 18:33

I think it would prove difficult to move any of the reavers in a straight line over an enemy unit and still keep the Baron in coherency?
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2013, 18:35

Sorry but no. Your right that the unit can now have mixed speeds and so long as they maintain coherency when thy move its fine but things like turbo boost and the eldar jetbike move reference the 'unit' declaring it from memory. As the units models don't all have the rule you can't use it
Back to top Go down
Aschen
Sybarite
Aschen

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2013, 18:43

As far as I am reading, and I have the book right in front of me, it clearly says "Bikes and Jetbikes", and makes no mention of the unit at all.

Turbo boosting would be difficult, if you are trying to bladevain, yes. But using their Eldar jetbike rule wouldnt be too difficult, if you just keep the Duke where you want the jet bikes to end up.

THe only thing is that you couldnt run the Duke, so he'd be stationary during the shooting phase
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2013, 19:59

More trouble then its worth, imho.
Back to top Go down
Murkglow
Kabalite Warrior
Murkglow

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2013, 20:15

Agreed. I don't think Baron brings nearly enough to the Reavers to make it worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13 2013, 08:27

You mentioned putting Baron where you want the squad to go. So, basically if you think of a jetbikes movement like two legs to a triangle, and Baron's the 3rd leg. The only problem with this thought process is that the Baron has to maintain that 2" unit coherency throughout the move, so it isn't possible. If you take Baron in a unit with Reaver Jet Bikes, at most, they'll be able to Turbo Boost 2" away from Baron, which severely limits their awesome 12" + 36" threat range for blade vanes. Not worth it!
Back to top Go down
SleepyPillow
Kabalite Warrior
SleepyPillow

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13 2013, 10:22

They're able to turboboost as far as the baron will be able to run, as long as they stay in 2'' coherency.

nonetheless there's no much use for a baron in a reaver squad. On the other hand, I like my totally overpriced Shining Spears + Baron + Farseer unit. 2++ coversave anyone?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?   Baron and Reaver Jetbikes? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baron and Reaver Jetbikes?
Page 1 of 1