THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

oil painting

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ebonhart
Kabalite Warrior
Ebonhart

oil painting Empty
PostSubject: oil painting   oil painting I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14 2013, 17:35

tonight i come to my fellow archon's with a problem my haemonculus is having. i found a very shiny metallic gold paint that looks really good, but the problem with it is that its a oil based paint. i know one other person in my lsg has used them(don't want to talk to him about it as hes a black cloud of manpain and pessimism) to great effect. so i was wondering if anyone knows of any good tutorials on the subject, or has first hand experience with it. i need the whole 9 yards, i've never worked with oil before.
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

oil painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil painting   oil painting I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14 2013, 21:22

Howdy.

I'll share what I know.

Oils are not terribly different than acrylic. The major differences are in the time it takes for the paint to dry and the clean up.

Oil paints don't dry when they are cold, and one thing many oil artist do is put their paint and brushes in the freezer to keep the paint moist.

The paint can be thinned using mineral spirits or oil paint thinner, but it needs to be used carefully. The same stuff is used to clean the brushes, but it can be very hard on acrylic brushes so you will want to invest in oil paint brushes. I don't know exactly what the difference is, but there is a difference.

If you want to use oil and acrylic, one thing to keep in mind is the waterbased paints don't stick very well to the oil paint, so you will need an intermediate sealer so the acrylic has something to stick to.

You will also need to be aware of the kind of primer you use. Your type of paint will dictate the kind of primer you use. In general, the automotive primer, which is what I use the most is just fine, but the more common game store variety which is water based may not work as well.

oil painting Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Ebonhart
Kabalite Warrior
Ebonhart

oil painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil painting   oil painting I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14 2013, 23:55

good to know, does oil paint stick to acrylic well?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

oil painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil painting   oil painting I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

oil painting
Page 1 of 1