THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?

Go down 
+7
wanderingblade
Azdrubael
Crazy_Irish
Super Dave
Plastikente
Thor665
Mushkilla
11 posters

Which rule should the game use for it's core mechanics?
6th Edition
Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? Voteba1342%Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? Voteba15
 42% [ 14 ]
Necromunda
Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? Voteba1358%Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? Voteba15
 58% [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 33

AuthorMessage
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? Empty
PostSubject: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18 2013, 15:54

So far there seems to be a lot of debate on which rule set to use for core mechanics. So for the sake of moving the project forward I made this Poll.

EDIT: Core meaning, for stats, cover, terrain, movement, etc. So how the models are moved, shoot, assault and so on. Nothing to do with the storytelling or narrative aspect of the game (skill charts, territories, gang advancements, etC)

Fellow Archons cast your votes!

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell

Last edited by Mushkilla on Sun Jan 20 2013, 09:39; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18 2013, 16:00

Define 'core mechanics'?

I sort of feel the agreed consensus is 'Necro with adjustments for 6th' personally - which option would that be?

Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18 2013, 16:05

Thor665 wrote:
Define 'core mechanics'?

I sort of feel the agreed consensus is 'Necro with adjustments for 6th' personally - which option would that be?

Core meaning, for stats, cover, terrain, movement, etc. So how the models are moved, shoot, assault and so on.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18 2013, 21:12

I have voted for Necromunda because taking a wound isn't the end of a model (as it is in 6th). I think that this is more suited to the small numbers of a skirmish game, but we could always just make a slight modifications to 6th to have the same affect. Using 6th does have the advantage that everyone is familiar with the ruleset.

EDIT: The advantage to using the stright Necromunda ruleset is that all of the advancement and skills tables are already developed to work with that game, so we wouldn't have to adapt or write our own.

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Super Dave
Hellion
Super Dave

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18 2013, 21:47

Creating the tables and charts and advancement trees ourselves would be fun and allow for our creative juices to flow freely. Plus anything we'd come up with would be loads more Dark Eldary than straight Necromunda.

First off, the question was for more just general game mechanics. I.e. - the movement phase, shooting phase, and assault phase being as they are in their respective books. Specifics, like if a model dies after getting his one wound taken away is something we can tweak.

I pulled examples from that Path to Glory game in the other thread, but I'll mention it here since you brought up the end of the model. In that game, if a model received enough wounds to remove it from a normal game of 40k, it is removed from play from that warband game. Then after that specific game has finished, a D6 is rolled for any model that was removed do to wounds. On a roll of a 1 they are removed permanently from the "game" as a whole, and are no longer in the warband so the player would have to recruit more. Any roll of 2+ and the model comes back for the next game just as if it was never wounded.

Add in some fluff for flavor where we want it, and something like that is taken care of.

Venom's been vandalized? Raider's been ransacked? Don't you worry your shriveled soul away! Come on down to Super Dave's Super Coups and Salvage! Skyboard bust a wing? We'll give you a Reaver! Jetbike won't start? We'll hook you up with one of our local... ~cough~ Professional mechanics ~cough~ and set you up in the transport of your dreams. Don't want to fly? Think walking around will suffice? We'll shoot you in the foot! So come on down!!!
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18 2013, 23:54

Plastikente wrote:
I have voted for Necromunda because taking a wound isn't the end of a model (as it is in 6th). I think that this is more suited to the small numbers of a skirmish game, but we could always just make a slight modifications to 6th to have the same affect. Using 6th does have the advantage that everyone is familiar with the ruleset.

EDIT: The advantage to using the stright Necromunda ruleset is that all of the advancement and skills tables are already developed to work with that game, so we wouldn't have to adapt or write our own.

Those are all things you would add, nothing to do with the basics core mechanics. As a necromunda player, I can also say that the tables are pretty terrible and not balanced. Though the community version of necromunda did a lot to fix this. However the whole fun is we would make our own.

But like I said this is concerning core mechanics, i.e how weapon skill works, how attacks work. The wound thing is a tweak, nothing to do with 2nd edition rules. Necromunda also works with to hit modifiers rather than cover saves and opposed weaponskill tests, movement values etc.

Maybe I should have phrased this better.

Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19 2013, 12:41

Well I must say I would prefer a system like the role playing games have. Sure it may be too complex for a skirmish, but it would fit the dark city.

Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19 2013, 16:49

6th is simplier then necromunda, and simpler is better if you wanna spread the game.

Latest x-com on pc shown how much fun and brilliant tactics can relatively simple system contain. I strongly advice looking at it, becasue it is contains the very essence of skirimish games.
Back to top Go down
wanderingblade
Kabalite Warrior
wanderingblade

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19 2013, 17:42

Mushkilla wrote:
Plastikente wrote:

Those are all things you would add, nothing to do with the basics core mechanics. As a necromunda player, I can also say that the tables are pretty terrible and not balanced. Though the community version of necromunda did a lot to fix this. However the whole fun is we would make our own.

But like I said this is concerning core mechanics, i.e how weapon skill works, how attacks work. The wound thing is a tweak, nothing to do with 2nd edition rules. Necromunda also works with to hit modifiers rather than cover saves and opposed weaponskill tests, movement values etc.

Maybe I should have phrased this better.

What Mushkilla said. For me, this could be rephrased "Do we base this on 2nd ed with adjustments for a skirmish campaign, or on 6th with adjustment" - if we pick 2nd, we use Necromunda as the base, as Necromunda is 2nd with skirmish adjustments; if we pick 6th, then we use sixth and add some adjustments.

I voted 6th, as that's what we've all got, but am happy enough with either - and there are enough differences in the mechanics that I feel this choice does have to be made.
Back to top Go down
dangerous beans
Kabalite Warrior
dangerous beans

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20 2013, 02:19

Sorry to say it but I'm kinda with crazy irish on this one and so haven't voted yet - if pushed then I'd prefer to consider a hybrid mesh of 6th with Necromunda (more weighted towards the 'storyitelling / narrative' element of Necromunda).

However my own personal (and hopefully humble!) opinion doesn't really gel well with the idea of this game becoming widespread - so if pushed for the 'making the game popular' route then I'd choose 6th as thats what most people have/are used to these days.

Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20 2013, 09:36

Right I think I need to rephrase this poll and start again, this is just about core mechanics, nothing to do with the storytelling element, territory, skill advancements or anything like that. People seem to be misunderstanding that. Sad

This Poll is just to do with how basic movement, shooting and assault work.

Back to top Go down
Dra'al Nacht
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21 2013, 01:31

I like the idea of using 6th Ed as a base, then adding elements of 2 Ed. For example, adding in shooting to hit modifiers for range, cover, movement etc. Also, for close combat you could keep the basic to hit system of 6th, then add to hit modifiers for charging into cover, enemy pinned, parrying etc. These modifiers could also have the knock on effect of making WS and BS increases more significant.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21 2013, 03:27

I would get behind that.

Back to top Go down
inorexia
Hellion
inorexia

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21 2013, 05:49

I voted for 6th. I think that porting over the Movement stat and armour save modifiers for weapons rather than AP values would be good though.

Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21 2013, 06:33

There's a lot of stuff that should come over due to the skirmish nature.

Frankly, the only big difference I see is that we're debating how assault is handled.

Back to top Go down
leinmann
Hellion
leinmann

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27 2013, 17:12

Thor665 wrote:
There's a lot of stuff that should come over due to the skirmish nature.

Frankly, the only big difference I see is that we're debating how assault is handled.

i'd say thats probably the real debate too. i think movement and shooting is similar between 2nd and 6th eds (2nd being the base for necromunda) and can just be modified as and when the rules are put into place but i think the assault system for 2nd is better as it can represent the speed of attacks by the dark eldar. for that reason i voted necromunda but the tables would have to be redone to reflect the nature of the dark city and its inhabitants. there is also a free pdf download for the necromunda rulebook on the GW site but i'll put a link at the end of this post anyway. i think a hybrid of the two is probably best though but the assault definately 2nd ed.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat480009a&categoryId=6700007a&section=&aId=21500022a
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27 2013, 17:19

If we are going to use necromunda we would use the community edition. As the original necromunda rules were pretty terrible in terms of balance and rule issues. The community edition fixed most of these (bad skill charts, tech being really abusable, poor gang roaster balance, weapon balance etc).

Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27 2013, 17:42

I don't think original 'munda was as bad as that. Really just tech and swords being the issue to my mind. That said, I agree that we should use the community edition as a basis.

Back to top Go down
leinmann
Hellion
leinmann

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28 2013, 18:26

is there a link anywhere for the community edition? is there much in the way of difference or is it just tweaks to certain parts?
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28 2013, 18:31

It's mainly rule clarifications and balance tweaks.

Community edition download

Yakromunda

Hope that helps. Smile

Back to top Go down
leinmann
Hellion
leinmann

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28 2013, 19:37

cheers mush. will give these a once over when they've finished downloading Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?   Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Commoragh the game: which rules for core mechanics?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

TEMPLE OF GAMES

:: Commorragh - The Game
-
Jump to: