THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Bases for terrain

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Bases for terrain Empty
PostSubject: Bases for terrain   Bases for terrain I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23 2013, 16:54

I'm going to start making some terrain and wanted to know what people use to base theirs? I could get mounting board from a local hobby shop but wonder if that might warp when it's painted or has any sort of textured material on it? If so, what else would you suggest?

average joe
Kabalite Warrior
average joe

Bases for terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bases for terrain   Bases for terrain I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23 2013, 18:18

I use light weight plain plasticard for small terrain features such as trees and rubble. I like to use heavy weight plasticard that has a textured finish for my building and ruins bases. However I prefer to model these bases straight onto the table. I leave the large building/ruins sections loose so that they can be moved as needed while gaming. I've not found a suitably thin yet rigid material that can hold the weight of large terrain models without messing with the esthetic. I don't like my large and important terrain features to look like they are sitting on the table. You can get plasticard at just about any store that stocks model train supplies.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Bases for terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bases for terrain   Bases for terrain I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 09:14

Cheers. I was going to start with smaller stuff like some craters (with Raider and Venom wreckage). Have also bought some of these:

Bases for terrain BB544

So I thought I'd make some rocky area terrain sprinkled with some of the crystals. Will look into some thick plasticard and see how it goes.

average joe
Kabalite Warrior
average joe

Bases for terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bases for terrain   Bases for terrain I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 12:17

Post a photo or two and good luck.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

Bases for terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bases for terrain   Bases for terrain I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25 2013, 00:56

I tried plasticard, but I use a lot of non-plastic materials in my terrain and they wouldn't stick and hold.

So I use masonite, very cheap and available in large sheets from any hardware store. And regular construction glue will hold anything in place on it nicely. You just have to watch make the base piece too large, as the masonite can warp and is a bugger to get flat again without breaking some of the glue seals. There's some pics in the Distractions section, if you are interested.

On another note, Battle in a Box covers the base of their area terrain pieces, hills, etc., with felt. I find that a very nice touch that really helps keep pieces in place.

Good luck, and yes, post some pics.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bases for terrain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bases for terrain   Bases for terrain I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bases for terrain
Page 1 of 1