THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Real life Kabalite Helm

Go down 
+6
The Eye of Error
The New AIDS
Shbur
Vishuss
Rauky
Orthien
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

Real life Kabalite Helm Empty
PostSubject: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 03:50

This thread will be the home of all info, pictures and project updates as I work to create a scale wearable of the below Kabalite Warrior helm.
Real life Kabalite Helm Dark_eldar_warriors_head_3_large

The build will be a multi-step process starting with creating some full scale Blueprints, then making a Master copy with MDF, insulation foam etc, next the Master will be cast in Silicon and a Urethane hollow helm cast from the mold before finally being painted, lite up and made wearable.

If it all goes well then I could potentially use the mold to create copy's of the helm for sale should others want to skip the more difficult first build steps.

The obvious main issue with something like this is that the helms we paint are very small and as such they have some design flaws and sculpting issues that while not noticeable on the minis are quite obvious on a full scale replica. One of the biggest examples of this is all the rounded edges that would most likely come to a fine point.

Find bellow the potential front view of the Blueprint. There have been slight modifications to it to fix the issues mentioned above.

(Old image removed. See below)

How does it look to every one? Close enough to the original mini?

Kabalite Warrior Helm Project Log: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t5342-real-life-kabalite-helm

Last edited by Orthien on Tue Apr 23 2013, 01:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rauky
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 04:33

looks good, and i would like to get a helm once you are done
Back to top Go down
Vishuss
Slave
Vishuss

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 04:59

This sounds like a very cool project! I think the WIP blueprint looks good so far, especially like how you've cleaned up the eye/lens area. Did you have a color scheme in mind already? I'm also curious regarding the choice of urethane as a mask material, Did you ever consider resin at any point? I ask as I've actually helped my wife with a couple halloween masks she sculpted in clay that we cast in hydrocal and molded in latex. We have not attempted any other materials yet but would like to eventually and was hoping for a little insight regarding material selection. Regardless, we had a lot of fun and it was all her little art supplies lying around that gave me the inspiration to finally pursue my longtime, unfulfilled fascination with wargaming. Please do take lots of photos as you go along, I will be following this with great interest!

Last edited by Vishuss on Thu Jan 24 2013, 05:02; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar!)
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 05:34

Vishuss wrote:
especially like how you've cleaned up the eye/lens area.
Thanks, this area took the most work so far thanks to how the models edges are actually rounded and have no points to the spikes bellow the eyes.

Vishuss wrote:
Did you have a color scheme in mind already?
Not particularly. I am partially temped to follow the same colors I use for my army which is a quite Dark Royal Purple with Green lenses but part of me is considering the standard black too.

Vishuss wrote:
I'm also curious regarding the choice of urethane as a mask material, Did you ever consider resin at any point?
It will be a Urethane resin slush cast through the mold to make the hollow helm. The limitation will be on what product I can use as you can't just head to a hardwear store here and buy it as its not as common as the States.

Kabalite Warrior Helm Project Log: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t5342-real-life-kabalite-helm
Back to top Go down
Vishuss
Slave
Vishuss

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 06:22

Orthien wrote:
I am partially temped to follow the same colors I use for my army which is a quite Dark Royal Purple with Green lenses but part of me is considering the standard black too.
Purple/green sounds pretty sexy to me!

Orthien wrote:
It will be a Urethane resin slush cast through the mold to make the hollow helm.
Ah, I believe I misunderstood exactly what kind of material urethane resin is. I was thinking it was quite rubbery, similar to latex but in fact it is quite a bit more rigid than that. After a little research that makes a lot more sense and sounds like it should make for an excellent mask.

Orthien wrote:
The limitation will be on what product I can use as you can't just head to a hardwear store here and buy it as its not as common as the States.
Haha! Possibly a little easier to get here but not quite that easy. We had to order most of our materials from the other side of the country, usually at exorbitant shipping rates Very Happy

Anyways, best of luck to you, definitely looking forward to more!

Back to top Go down
Shbur
Hellion
Shbur

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 06:34

Would you ever consider making an entire kabalite suit? Would this helmet creation work the method which entails thick bond stock paper w/schematics drawn on, and built up layers of paper mache, similar to how some people make Master Chief suits (I think that's the process, but I could be totally wrong).

Sybarite
Orthien

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24 2013, 20:05

A full suit would be quite an undertaking and not really something I would do right away. If the helm works well then I would be doing a few little projects before attempting anything of that size.

It would kind of work the same. Its just a different way of starting and different materials mostly. The main difference is they need to build it all in 3D software first which requires more detailed images than what I can get for the mini's helm. With my method I will also be able to alter features on the master as I see fit before the final castings where a last minute change on the pappakura models may require a reprint/assemble.

Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25 2013, 03:34

Here we have the current WIP shot for the side elevation. There is some tidy-up to do on it and it still does not quite match the front elevation completely but it will give you an idea of how it looks.
I have a feeling these helms will be very unforgiving on the nose.

Last edited by Orthien on Tue Apr 23 2013, 01:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31 2013, 00:39

I am still trying to work around the irregularity in the two images. Seems I just need to sit down with the mini in hand and freestyle something up.

Here is the two beside each other with reference lines to show how nothing lines up.

Last edited by Orthien on Tue Apr 23 2013, 01:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The New AIDS
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31 2013, 06:06

The one facing us is tilted forwards. You'll have to tilt the sideways helm to the left slightly to get them to line up.

"Oh, these things? They're your sister's face."
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31 2013, 08:13

How have I been staring at this for days and not noticed that.

You sir have just made my hours of headach look very silly.

Thank you.

Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

PostSubject: Blueprints revised   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23 2013, 01:32

Its been a while since I started this thread and its probably time for an update.

After realizing what was wrong with the last images and deciding I wasn't happy with what I had done to that point I started fresh.

Once I was back from holiday I got hold of the camera myself this times so I could take the pictures as I wanted.

Taking piles of photos I started the process again this time using Inkscape to get the lines accurate and smooth. With the front and side views done I started the process of aligning the two and editing to make the helm resemble the form it would take in real life.

Here below is the surrounding views all polished and matching perfectly. I am not 100% sure on the eyes as those took a bit of work and still didn't seem quite right.

Any critiques on making this more like the model before I scale them up?

Hopefully this weekend I will print a test negative on cardboard as to figure out how the heads actually going to come in and out.

Real life Kabalite Helm Blueprinttest

Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23 2013, 15:31

I am very excited to see the progress on this Helm Smile

Looks great so far!

Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28 2013, 02:50

put razorblades in the helmet's horns (or knives, of um... what ever) XD
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29 2013, 03:43

The original helm shown in my previous post is the helm as designed, which un-suprisingly is made for the Dark Eldar skull structure which is slightly narrower front to back than a human head. The helm is also designed to be a tight fit all around which doesn't give room for padding and any joins I may need to make down the sides.

I have tinkered with my plans further to increase the helms size a little, extend the back out and bring the eyes closer so I can still see in it while keeping the overall look with some creative editing.

Here is the new, made for human helm.

Real life Kabalite Helm Blueprintfinal

Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeThu May 02 2013, 22:14

the designs are looking great, i rather like the detail you have on it.
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeFri May 10 2013, 02:57

As the guys in chat know, I have been tweaking my Blueprint further after doing a full printout and considering the mechanics of the actual build and final helm. I have added sectional lines for where the helm is to break in half as well as tabs for the Blade connections and sections for the mdf subframe to assist in shaping. I have also altered the thickness of some sections very slightly so they can easily be made out of available mdf thicknesses.
Finally I also made a few additions and corrections to the helm shape itself.

Here is the revised print I will be working off.

Real life Kabalite Helm Blueprintv2

As of tonight I will be picking up the mdf and some supplies and as soon as I have free time and some decent weather I can finally start on actual physical work and get to posting pictures.

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lord 73
Hellion
Tyrant Lord 73

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeFri May 10 2013, 03:02

I can't wait to see the results of your work. This looks like it's going to be awesome Smile

See the Scything Tempest in action
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeSun May 19 2013, 22:34

I have finally managed to spend a weekend working on the helm.

This is the progress after 5 hours work on Sat(+3 hours of glue drying)
Technically the first image is from the first cut that I scrapped for being the wrong thickness of mdf, but I did not take one of the new cut and the shape hasn't changed at all just the width.
Real life Kabalite Helm CrossSection
Real life Kabalite Helm FrontDay1
Real life Kabalite Helm BackDay1
Real life Kabalite Helm WholeDay1

And for 2 hours on Sunday(+3 more for glue drying)
Real life Kabalite Helm BackDay2
Real life Kabalite Helm WholeDay2

I still have a few more sections to add in mdf, then the jaw line and underside of jaw to add with Styrene before I can begin adding foam and shaping.
Next week is our own mini con, Armaggedon so I am unlikely to get much time to do more work but hopefully I can get a few hours to finish the mdf work.

Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeMon May 20 2013, 00:08

Yay for progress! Off to a great start.

I can't wait to see more.

Khain mor
Sybarite
Khain mor

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeMon May 20 2013, 00:59

Was hoping it would be wearable : (

The Biggest Kabal ever, be sure to check it out if you haven't, old and new units.
The Biggest Dark Eldar Apocalypse force you'll find on the net.

My Eldar Facebook Page, feel free to join. All Eldar factions allowed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeMon May 20 2013, 01:46

Khain mor wrote:

It's mentioned in the thread that It will be. This is the master before he makes a mold and recasts in urethane resin.

Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeMon May 20 2013, 03:36

Khain mor wrote:

Eye beat me too it.
The final result will indeed be a hollow, wearable helm but it would be impossible or at least very improbable to make a hollow helm with the kind of curves this will have right from the beginning.

Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2013, 13:15

More progress photos.

Day 3 saw 5 hours put into mostly the front half but I also did a piece for the back that wasn't fitted. I also brought a Dremel which with the sanding head has made the concave curves much easier to get looking nice.

Real life Kabalite Helm FrontDay3

Day 4 again saw 5 hours on the job sans glueing. This time I fitted the piece cut on day 3 to the back and added the flat under-chin panels with 1.5mm plasticard.

Real life Kabalite Helm BackDay4
Real life Kabalite Helm FrontDay4

The halfs slipped a little from the clamps holding them so they are not lining up 100% perfect in these shots but they give you a good impression of the whole.
Real life Kabalite Helm WholeDay4
Real life Kabalite Helm WholeDay4-2

On day 5 I didn't have a lot of free time so I spent an hour wrapping the two halves in clingwrap and masking taping the whole thing to get a test fit of the final product.
Heres me wearing the test shell.
Real life Kabalite Helm MaskingTapeFront
Real life Kabalite Helm MaskingTapeSide
Real life Kabalite Helm MaskingTapeIso

I also started work on the blades which look fantastic and will hopefully be able to do a lot more on them this coming weekend and get pictures up after that.

Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2013, 20:36

very nice work so far, and GREEEEEEENNNNNNNNNN LLAAAAANNNNNTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEERRRRRNNNNNNNNNN SHIRT!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Real life Kabalite Helm   Real life Kabalite Helm I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Real life Kabalite Helm
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: