THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Blaster Archon

Go down 
+9
Siticus the Ancient
Mushkilla
CaGeRit
King Alacran
Seshiru
sgb69
DominicJ
Azdrubael
alexwellace
13 posters
AuthorMessage
alexwellace
Kabalite Warrior

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04 2013, 16:46

What are peoples thoughts on him. I find in small games it usually comes down to a haemonculi, but recently im finding he does NOTHING and dies in every frigging match. Since everyone is in a transport FnP matters little, small unit sizes means FnP does less and if im in liquifier range im doing it wrong. While the BlasterLord is more expensive it is practically a blaster that always hits, and maybe the blaster might acturally do something! I wouldn't go with the shadowfield because if im transport spamming do i have the points to spare when if he does get shot at, its because his venom is down. That means he can go to ground in the wreakage. Any way, here is the build.

Archon, blaster. Well that was easy, lets spice it up.

Archon, blaster and venom blade. Its 5 pts, why not?

Archon, blaster and Djin Blade. In small points (500-800pts) he can effectively chop up entire units after blaster shot.

I'd probabilly go with number 2, but 3 looks fun. Should he go with the blasterborn is that too many eggs in an armour 10 open-topped basket. He could go with a simple warrior squad but then is 2 blasters enough rather then 4? In larger games id usually go with the huskblade build and i was thinking is it worth a blaster in that build? It's an extra kill almost indeffinatly, or an extra wound in that MC or an open transport to charge the insides. Maybe set of the soultrrap before you even make it to combat! But it is an expensive build, when a ravager is more effective, but who doesnt want to see there archon tearing through units?
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04 2013, 17:01

Well, Archon + Blaster + Shadow Field + Venom Blade is a decent setup riding with warriors. We have to have a survivable HQ to not give away victory point easily.

He can be hideousely annoying. Its pretty easy to hide one model if needed be and he can pot shot with a deadly accuracy.
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04 2013, 17:51

I use mine as a dedicated combat monster.
Just with a splinter pistol and husk blade, he isnt very multipurpose, but he can smash.

sgb69
Kabalite Warrior
sgb69

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04 2013, 21:05

DominicJ wrote:
I use mine as a dedicated combat monster.
Just with a splinter pistol and husk blade, he isnt very multipurpose, but he can smash.

...and not even Ghostplate? That's pretty ballsy.

Wych

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05 2013, 07:40

He gets a shadowfield at higher pts, but at 500, his I is all thats going to save him.

Seshiru
Sybarite

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05 2013, 15:03

Haemies are good for 20 man warrior squads behind a defense line.
Baron is well....cheap and provides good support, he's got a shadow field and he can't get in a transport.
Mush uses a Blaster con is his latest builds of his black buzzards lists where you can see how he works in the raids section (battle reports of this forum).
I like my Archon melee built, used to go with wyches but now goes with Incubi.
Some one told me incubi are 1 trick, but I say making whole units disappear is a pretty good trick.

Slave
King Alacran

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05 2013, 17:46

i like the shadow field, blaster and a special cc with 3 blaster 4 man true-born venom squad it's pretty versatile throw the archon at anything that threatens the trueborn and get another turn shooting their blasters and have a good chance at destroying whatever the archon fights or at least mauling it, i do choose my target carefully though usually a flank my reavers or venom have hopefully cleared of dedicated cc. i only like this build when this archon isn't the warlord and its only the standard VP i stand to loose. i usually have the duke as my warlord

Sybarite

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05 2013, 20:12

If you take the Duke and an Archon the Archon has to be the warlord as you must choose the HQ with the highest leadership in your primary detachment

Kabalite Warrior
sgb69

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05 2013, 20:25

Seshiru wrote:
Some one told me incubi are 1 trick, but I say making whole units disappear is a pretty good trick.

That's a pretty good one. I'll have to steal it at some point.

While we're on the subject of Archons... I've been thinking about taking two. Currently I use an Archon and Succubus, both kept on the cheap side. At 1750 on up, the prospect of two cheap, killy shadowfields is rather tempting.

So, everyone, if you had 20-30 points of wargear to give an Archon, what would it be?

Slave
CaGeRit

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05 2013, 20:37

Here's a question, anyone have any luck with a dual blast pistol archon?
I know 6" vs 18" sucks, but can we make up for that with the speed of our venoms?
I'd still stick him with a unit of blasterborn in a venom. You'd have to get closer, but with the speed of the venom that shouldn't be a problem. You would still be striking at turn 2 soonest, unless you went first and your opponent has infiltrators in range.

Sybarite

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05 2013, 21:05

sgb69 wrote:
if you had 20-30 points of wargear to give an Archon, what would it be?

Assuming you already had the shadowfield paid for?
Venom Blade + PGL

Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10 2013, 19:41

Personally I think the main aim with a blaster archon is to have a HQ who you can play conservatively whilst still being effective. The main benefit is he doesn't go charging in and give a free warlord victory point to your opponent. Instead he hangs back patiently firing his blaster and acting as a would be deterant to any assaults with his shadow field and venom blade. In a pinch you can also use his shadow field to tank shots if need be, suddenly a unit of warriors that your opponent was assuming would ave gone to ground and taken casualties is unscathed and ready to dish out some rapid fire punishment.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10 2013, 20:31

Archon, Blaster, Shadowfield and Venom Blade clocks in for affordable 110 points. It might not always deliver, but it's great for an Archon that sits back, chills out on his boat with Kabalites and takes it easy in the backfield, where pesky enemies come to him. This isn't a front line gunner build, in my opinion, but more of an utility character that can keep an eye on that one troop choice you want to be sure to survive for longer than usual.

Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10 2013, 21:33

alexwellace wrote:

but who doesnt want to see there archon tearing through units?

That's how I see it. He is the archon and does what he pleases. and as my main archon is in the pirate business, it is just fitting for him to support up to 3 weapons. And it is just great fun when he activates his soul trap from afar.

Sláinte

Hellion

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11 2013, 00:41

How about 2 Archon with Blaster and some good equipment ?

They will shoot at 2+/5-6, wound at 2+ on almost everything. If the enemy charge, they will have to face 8 A at I 7 with the weapon you have chosen for them.

Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11 2013, 07:04

My go to blaster archon build is definitely: blaster, venom blade, shadowfield (110). In the four games I have been using him I have yet to lose him. A warlord that doesn't die is a good warlord in 6th. Very Happy

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11 2013, 07:50

I dont see the shadow field.
If he is going to sit back in a Kabalite squad he should have enough meat shields.

Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11 2013, 08:53

DominicJ wrote:
I dont see the shadow field.
If he is going to sit back in a Kabalite squad he should have enough meat shields.

We're talking about Kabalite warriors here. They tend to die to stiff breezes and their boats getting blown up. An Archon without a Shadowfield usually gets killed long before a raid to realspace.

Mngwa
Wych
Mngwa

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11 2013, 15:16

4x blasterborn with blaster archon could really be efficient. Have to try that sometime. And yes, I would take a shadowfield even if he tries to keep inside a venom all the time.

THE CULT OF THE BURNING LEAF

THE COVEN OF THE HOLLOWED
Back to top Go down
King Alacran
Slave
King Alacran

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 21:30

Dang forgot about Warlord LD i would still run it with the Duke but the warlord thing only works with Drazher. Shadow field seems like a insurance policy if your going to buy something really nice in real life you would buy insurance why not 40k.

Hekatrix
HERO

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18 2013, 23:50

When I take Archon, I almost always roll with Blaster. The threat range is just great, and you essentially get another Ravager if he rides with Warriors.

Blaster Archon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaster Archon   Blaster Archon I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blaster Archon
Page 1 of 1