THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

mandrakes

Go down 
+23
Balisong
that 9uy
csjarrat
Erebus
The Shredder
Tiri Rana
Plastikente
Creeping Darkness
cymera
Eldur
Orthien
Barking Agatha
Azdrubael
sgb69
Gobsmakked
DominicJ
Shadows Revenge
Brom
Crazy_Ivan
AvInNebr
Silverglade
Count Adhemar
kingc1313
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kingc1313
Hellion
kingc1313

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29 2013, 19:03

does anyone use them the best way to use them seems to be to infiltrate them then run a haemy up to them so they can do something first turn
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29 2013, 19:05

kingc1313 wrote:
does anyone use them

No

kingc1313
Hellion
kingc1313

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29 2013, 19:06

ok well don't get any more straight forward than that

Wych
Silverglade

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29 2013, 19:35

Count Adhemar wrote:
kingc1313 wrote:
does anyone use them

No

LOL! That's hilarious! cheers

The only thing I have ever used them for is to deny my opponent an ifiltration spot (so take the minimum mandrake squad).

That said, I've since stopped doing so as it is only useful when you 'know" that your opponent will have infiltrators that are a lynchpin to his strategy. I did it much more in 5th ed when my main gaming buddy playing tyranids liked to drop in genestealers infiltrating within charge range.
Back to top Go down
kingc1313
Hellion
kingc1313

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29 2013, 21:01

so all in all mandrakes are basicly out of date now with 6th but it seems to go across the board with all cc infiltators

Hellion

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29 2013, 21:06

I've got a "tryout" list that I'm wanting to use that has a squad in there ... but I'm still not sure how I'd want to use them honestly. They have no ranged attacks until you get a pain token but their special rules you can't use if you start them with a Haemy (infiltrate, etc...), then they aren't that good in CC to begin with and where I mostly play against SM I don't really see where they are going to have any success. I'm very close to just pulling them out of the list but want to see them being useless in game before completely (as opposed to nearly completely) writing them off.

The list also has wracks and grotesques, two units I haven't used before, as well as Urien as one of the HQ choices. I don't expect great things from the list but wanted to see them in play before returning to a more regular list...
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Ivan
Wych
Crazy_Ivan

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29 2013, 23:30

I'm a massive advocate for wracks and grots they should serve you well.

Mandrakes are well, rubbish until they get a pain token. Starting them in a raider with a haeme may be fun though.
Back to top Go down
Brom
Wych

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30 2013, 03:10

Actually I was recently thinking of scouts as a counter to ravenwing scout moves.. Mandrakes would do similar though. Standard if devastation ravenwing plus MMABs and black knights make for a very nasty alpha strike. If you face something like this mandrakes might be worth considering.
Back to top Go down
kingc1313
Hellion
kingc1313

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30 2013, 03:52

the sad thing is i rally like the models

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30 2013, 12:38

kingc1313 wrote:
the sad thing is i rally like the models

I think most of us do and I really wish the rules gave us a chance to use them. Sadly, they are utter crap in 6e and you would be better served spending points on almost any other unit.

Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30 2013, 13:32

they were as bad in 5th when they came out as well...

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30 2013, 15:19

All they seem to offer is infiltrate and a 5++ in an army built around fast skimming transports and 5+ (or 4+) cover saves....

Maybe a WWP army could use three big blobs to provide a turn 2 charge or a distration to get the WWP in position, but then you would want your Elites to bring incubi or grots through the WWP.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30 2013, 22:35

There was an extensive discussion of Mandrakes not so long ago, definitely worth checking out:

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t3614-mandrakes

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
sgb69
Kabalite Warrior
sgb69

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31 2013, 05:25

Point for point they're the worst infiltrators in the game.

That said, in fun games they're kinda alright. Either Infiltrating them up to threaten something early on, or claiming a piece of terrain then stepping up several turns later.

The reason for the delay usually is to give you an opportunity to kill off dudes with flamers or anti-infantry weaponry.

Incubi
Azdrubael

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31 2013, 08:11

They would be at least half (maybe quarter) decent if they could assault first turn. But, no, by some miracolous reason they have to wait a turn of shooting. Thus disallowing the only maybe use of them - tie up something in close combat until target (or more likely mandrakes) is dead.

That would be at least something decent for 150 points. But no - 6th edition rules robed them of even this.

Barking Agatha
Wych
Barking Agatha

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31 2013, 17:21

Don't forget that according to the DE FAQ Mandrakes now count as daemons, but only for purposes that would hurt them and not for any purposes that might benefit them. As if to discourage the last few people who were still hoping to find a decent use for them!
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02 2013, 06:52

I am one of the few people that actually uses Mandrakes here I think.
Sure they are not an ideal unit choice and take abit of work to make viable at all but I have never had a game that I was dissapointed in them.

For my games I cough up 325-355 points to use them but that gives me 8-10 Mandrakes, Hammy with LQ or HR, 3 Troop Wracks in an extra Raider and an ADL which can be given a Quad-Gun for 50more if your expecting flyers.

I put my ADL with Mandrakes right on center deployment and first turn bring the Hammy with the Wracks up to drop him off for the Pain Token.

You now have a unit with 16-20 Baleblasts and LG or HR that has a 3+ CS (2+ if you go to ground) and FNP that ties up center map on ether a flank or mid field.
Not only can they soak some good fire but they put out some support fire or Melee if your near by and often deter the enemy from a spot on the board.
You also get another DL or Dissy, a scoring unit with FnP, another Vehicle to saturate AT choices and the option to take decent AA if needed.

As others will point out there are better units for all these things, but I feel Mandrakes do them all very well and have never let me down in doing it.

Kabalite Warrior Helm Project Log: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t5342-real-life-kabalite-helm
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 02 2013, 09:25

That does seem like a good way to use them,

Eldur
Sybarite
Eldur

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03 2013, 17:13

I recently thought on a potential use for Mandrakes:

I usually roll for Strategic Traits with my Archon, but one of the rolls is quite annoying for me: the one which gives Acute Senses to a flanking squad, which is absolutely useless for my army nowadays.

Then I asked myself: why don't you get Mandrakes and use them only as a disruptive squad (and for disruptive I mean that they will only distract my enemy from actually important things)??? And then, when you get that Strategic trait roll, you can join them with your Archon (and probably an Haemonculus too, leaving from one of my wych units) and make a nasty surprise for your enemy.

Mandrakes make an undesirable option if we look at other units from our codex (and even from our Eldar allies codex). But if you look at them as a tactical variable, changing their role between each battle in order to acquire local or even global advantage over your opponent's army, they are not that bad.

Just my opinion but... Subdue your minds to it!! pirat

Eldur project log for Dark Eldar and Eldar
Back to top Go down
cymera
Slave
cymera

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03 2013, 22:54

I really like that idea of using them with the ADL - seems like it would work really well in a WWP list. With the haemie as the WWP bearer you're not really even repurposing a unit solely to get the mandrakes a PT. To top it off you have cover for your portal, and some distance firepower on T1 with the quad-gun (otherwise lacking in a Talos-heavy WWP list)

Back to top Go down
Creeping Darkness
Wych
Creeping Darkness

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04 2013, 02:09

I also like the idea of the advanced ADL with mandrakes, its a nice use of their (few) abilities.

I've also considered running a bastion on the halfway line with some (3 - 5) mandrakes on top to use the gun. The main benefit of course is that you have a piece of LOS-blocking terrain that you can place anywhere up to the halfway line. Mandrake Air Traffic Control denying landing permission to opponent's jets is a bonus if it happens.

Unfortunately I don't have a bastion or ADL to try it out with yet (and only the old 3rd ed mandrake models, so the worst of both worlds Laughing). When I do I will report!
Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
sgb69
Kabalite Warrior
sgb69

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05 2013, 00:19

I'll have to give Mandrake Air Traffic Control a shot when I get that Bastion put together.

Doesn't it run the risk of the other guy deploying infiltrators into it though?

Wych
Creeping Darkness

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05 2013, 01:02

sgb69 wrote:
I'll have to give Mandrake Air Traffic Control a shot when I get that Bastion put together.

Doesn't it run the risk of the other guy deploying infiltrators into it though?

No, enemy infiltrators aren't allowed to deploy in your fortifications, wherever that fortification happens to be. Also, if I remember correctly there is a special exemption that your own infiltrators can deploy into your own fortifications regardless of how close to it the enemy are, so no blocking either.

Of course, once the game is underway they can wander through the door like anyone else. If the mandrakes are on the roof I don't think they can stop some enemy scouts setting up camp inside. But since part of the fun is having some LOS blocking terrain in the middle of the board, you should have a Raider full of dudes next to that door pronto, no?

Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05 2013, 08:52

Creeping Darkness wrote:

No, enemy infiltrators aren't allowed to deploy in your fortifications, wherever that fortification happens to be. Also, if I remember correctly there is a special exemption that your own infiltrators can deploy into your own fortifications regardless of how close to it the enemy are, so no blocking either.

Do you have a reference for that? All I can find in the FAQ and the BDB is this, on p.121:
Quote :
an enemy fortification is only considered to be an enemy unit if it is occupied at the time of redeployment.
So that would mean that if the enemy deployed his infiltrators first, and you didn't have any units within 12" of your fortification, he could deploy inside it as his unit would be out of sight.

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05 2013, 14:46

Your opponent can't deploy inside your fortifications.

BRB p. 121 wrote:

Units can never deploy inside an enemy fortification, nor can they use pre-game abilities (like Scout redeployment) to embark in enemy fortifications before the first turn begins. Once the game begins, units are free to move into or out of any fortifications, friendly or enemy, following the normal rules.

But being inside a fortification or building only counts as being out of sight, so infiltrators can't be deployed inside it if there are enemy troops within 12".

BRB p. 38 wrote:

Infiltrators can be set up anywhere on the table that is more than 12" away from any enemy unit, as long as no deployed enemy unit can draw line of sight to them. This includes in a building [...], as long as the building is more than 12" away from any enemy unit.

Sponsored content

mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: mandrakes   mandrakes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mandrakes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: