THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Best way to paint blood?

Go down 
+5
Tangentical
ravengoescaw
Kinnay
The Eye of Error
Sky Serpent
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Best way to paint blood? Empty
PostSubject: Best way to paint blood?   Best way to paint blood? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11 2013, 22:13

I'm looking for the best, most professional way to paint blood.

I've heard of a Tamiya paint being good, anyone have any experience with this?

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect
The Eye of Error

PostSubject: Re: Best way to paint blood?   Best way to paint blood? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11 2013, 22:17

I've heard the same thing about Tamiya, but have never tried it.

I tend to use Micro Kristal Klear mixed with old school GW red ink for a thick translucent globby blood.

Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Best way to paint blood?   Best way to paint blood? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11 2013, 22:27

Do you want to paint wet or dried blood?
For the former I suggest this tutorial that I have been following for years now. It looks suitably gory and brutal:
LINK

For the latter I suggest splashing and/or drybrushing a dark red colour (e.g. the old Red Gore by Citadel) and letting it dry. Then stipple a 60:40 mix of black : dark red onto the areas, paying attention to leave the edges brighter and irregularly shaped. Apply gloss varnish where needed. Smile

ravengoescaw
Heamonculi
ravengoescaw

PostSubject: Re: Best way to paint blood?   Best way to paint blood? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23 2013, 08:03

Tamiya color clear red x-27. that on top of brown, or scab red makes for a good blood effect.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12640-band-of-the-unbending-thorn#142250

Still fighting the world and saving damsels in distress. ~Raven
Back to top Go down
Tangentical
Hellion
Tangentical

PostSubject: Re: Best way to paint blood?   Best way to paint blood? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26 2013, 09:31

Partly depends on whether you want dried blood/gore, fresh blood/open wounds or a combo.

I tend to go combo on weapons starting dark (mournfang brown mixed with a black) then add a red colour progressively closer to the blade and the part of a blade which has most recently hit flesh.
I avoid a neat blend going for a more haphazard splatter effect by rough dry brushing as if you'd forgotten to take enough paint off the brush.

This look end up giving the impression of a weapon well used and uncleaned since a recent kill, particularly good for grotesque or wrack weapons and maybe wyches (though I prefer to think they take more pride in their weapons).

Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Best way to paint blood?   Best way to paint blood? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28 2013, 20:14

1:2 Black - Gory Red. Dip some Gloss Varnish there.

I heard one wierd advice - to use actual blood for it. You know, what better way to paint dried blood, then, well, with dried blood. Dont need to cut someone thou, just take some from butcher shop or anything like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDM3L0KAeoY Look for 36 min mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jpny1PeqEU 9 min mark.

Both videos are worth watching by themselves.
Back to top Go down
Khain mor
Sybarite
Khain mor

PostSubject: Re: Best way to paint blood?   Best way to paint blood? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29 2013, 16:32

I've tried the varnish method blood, by mistake, don't ask how lol, but it works I confirm. Fresh blood as result;
The black/brow gives the cloth effect, which happens very quickly in normal blood.

Colors aren't very important, they do matter to what type of blood you want, fresh or not, however it's the technique that does most of the real work.

You can use just one type of red ot create some dry blood, small quantity, however bigger stains need more , like blood cloths etc, or different types of red.

I used black or brown washes sometimes on the red to have better blood, depends on the surface I'm painting, whether I use paint or wash to do the black/brown cloths. you can also use the wet technique (put some brown while the red paint is still wet.

The varnish is used for fresh blood mostly, don't need it on older blood. It can also be used to seem like slime combined to blood, in the mouth of some predator, saliva mixed with blood, or some nurgle deamon, having some of his guts spilling out, some weird fresh blood spilling out.

The Biggest Kabal ever, be sure to check it out if you haven't, old and new units.
The Biggest Dark Eldar Apocalypse force you'll find on the net.

My Eldar Facebook Page, feel free to join. All Eldar factions allowed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
Balisong
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Best way to paint blood?   Best way to paint blood? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30 2013, 05:33

I use the Tamiya red x-27. It is fantastic for Fresh blood.

Swirl in a little a little of their X-19 Smoke color and it appears as if it's starting to congeal. Very convincing. I've had people mistake it for real blood.
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Best way to paint blood?   Best way to paint blood? I_icon_minitimeSun May 05 2013, 19:45

I use tamiya clear red and just a dash of black in it for the base colour. Add in a little UHU glue to the mix and you have very realistic blood. Go over the mix again with just clear red once it has dried and voila! Realistic gore and blood. Below are a couple of pics of where I have added it to my models ( though sadly no dark eldar at the mo)

Best way to paint blood? Image_zpsad384222
Best way to paint blood? Image_zpsf340f67a
Best way to paint blood? Image_zps2063416d

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best way to paint blood?   Best way to paint blood? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best way to paint blood?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: