THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Modular Cityscape

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ollelta
Kabalite Warrior
Ollelta

Modular Cityscape Empty
PostSubject: Modular Cityscape   Modular Cityscape I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21 2013, 00:59

Hello all,
I've been distracting myself to excess with this project, and the board itself, while not nearly finished, is getting to a point where I'm reasonably happy with how it's looking:

Modular Cityscape Img_2310 Modular Cityscape Img_2311

However, I'm just getting back into the hobby and I really don't have anything by the way of area terrain or buildings.
While the board has a reasonable amount of cover on it from the trench style layout, It would still be nice to have something to make it feel a little more lived in. I'm not really digging the GW building sets, so can anyone suggest anything they think might fit in with the look of this board?
Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

Modular Cityscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular Cityscape   Modular Cityscape I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21 2013, 09:55

That's some great looking city terrain! It already LOOKS good, and the low walls and different surfaces give nice variation to movement and partial cover; the one thing I would say it is lacking for 40K needs (and other games I expect) is large, Line-Of-Sight blocking terrain.
Armies like Dark Eldar and Tyranids need solid terrain to hide behind if they are to survive the first few rounds of shooting, so I think you need to incorporate some buildings that fit in the gaps. GW's buildings might be a bit too Gothic to match your board nicely, but what about:
http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/antenocitis/governance-of-technology-got-scenery-1.html
There are a lot of independant mfrs doing laser-cut MDF, molded or cast future-city scenery that I think would suit your style well, be it buildings (which might be tricky to fit in the gaps without looking too small), or shipping containers, Industrial plant, or advertising hoardings.

Another other thing I saw at a convention yesterday is big chemical fires: a 6" wide 6" high 2" thick block of blackened cotton wool, with several flickering orange LEDs as it's base, could count as a ruptured pipe, impassable and impenetrable.
Back to top Go down
Ollelta
Kabalite Warrior
Ollelta

Modular Cityscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular Cityscape   Modular Cityscape I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21 2013, 10:36

Cheers Commandersasha, some very excellent stuff on that site. I think this sort of thing: http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/pump-station-sci-fi-terrain.html
would fit right in, though I'll have to get my tape-measure out to check the dimensions. Sadly a lot of it seems to be out of stock at the mo, so I guess I'll be checking back and keeping an eye on it...
I'm in two minds about the MAS flatpack buildings, but it may just be the style of the paintjob in the promo shots that isn't meshing with me. Still, being able to open them up and have room to room skirmishes sounds entertaining..
Do you remember who was producing that chemical fire cloud? Sounds rather spectacular. I'll only really be going for small games (due to space and financial considerations), so I'd like to get them feeling as cinematic as possible.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Ivan
Wych
Crazy_Ivan

Modular Cityscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular Cityscape   Modular Cityscape I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 27 2013, 07:47

The buildings on this site look like they would fit pretty well n your board.

http://www.miniaturescenery.com/CategoryPage.asp?CODE=CAT_SCI
Back to top Go down
Ollelta
Kabalite Warrior
Ollelta

Modular Cityscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular Cityscape   Modular Cityscape I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 27 2013, 10:38

Thanks Crazy_Ivan, that's a fantastic find, I guess I should stop restricting my searching to uk and eu... can't believe I've not come across them before. I think my bank account may be suffering in the near future...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Modular Cityscape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular Cityscape   Modular Cityscape I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modular Cityscape
Page 1 of 1