THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Amanita
Slave

Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors? Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors?   Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24 2013, 18:04

I've decided on a modified version of the Kabal of the Obsidian Rose colors for my Kabal (Witch cults and Heamonculi will wear different colors, everyone will have bits of bronze-gold to bind the army together visually).
I want the brown-burned orange color for the armor plates, but with dark blue bodysuits underneath.

But I'm not sure which colors I need for the armor. I've been able to find one tutorial, but that involves a lot of paints by a maker I'm not familiar with, and wouldn't be able to get locally.

So if I want to do Obsidian Rose armor plates using only GW paints, which colors would be best?
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors?   Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors? I_icon_minitimeMon May 27 2013, 22:01

Howdy,

my thoughts is the armor plates would be:

Abbadon Black - base color
Mournfang Brown - 1 st hightlight
Mephiston Red - 2nd Highlight
Trollslayer Orange - 3rd highlight
Gitz Yellow as final highlight

Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors? Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Amanita
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors?   Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors? I_icon_minitimeTue May 28 2013, 04:07

Hmm..I've been using doombull brown, a nice reddish brown. I've got the other two colors, all I need is flash gitz yellow. I'll give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
Amanita
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors?   Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05 2013, 23:26

I think I figured it out! Yesterday I bought a few back issues of White Dwarf, including May 2011, which has a feature on Tomb Kings. In there was some nice painting info, including a rather striking crimson warsphinx.
Looking at it, it bore a very striking resemblance to the Obsidian Rose armor coloring. Now, I had to use the paint comparison chart since the tutorial was written using the old color range. But I did it on a couple of Scourges today and it looked amazing! I still need to add some final highlights, but I think that tutorial nailed it!

Here's the basic info:
Start with a black basecoat, and do your initial edge painting with Khorne red.
Give it two heavy base coats of Carroburg crimson.
Then do edge highlighting with a blend consisting of equal parts Mephiston red and Evil Sunz scarlet.
Finally, apply your finishing highlights with troll slayer orange.

This looked really good over the Kantor blue bodysuits I painted my Scourges wearing, and I think I've about nailed the effect. I'll have to try this on Hellion skyboards next!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors?   Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Obsidian Rose using GW colors?
Page 1 of 1