THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
knifeknuckle
Slave

550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?  Empty
PostSubject: 550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?    550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?  I_icon_minitimeSat May 25 2013, 22:01

Me and a friend are having a game soon , I haven't played for a very long time and could use some advice please.

I have used my 550 points thus which has been updated after going through this forum today :

HQ - Succubus with agoniser and splinter pistol

8 Wych - no upgrades

1 Hekatrix with Phantasm grenade launcher

Raider - Dark Lance and Night Shield

10 x Kabalite - no upgrades

Raider, Dark Lance, Night Shields, Splinter Racks

Ravager - DL's and night shield

total 550 points

Questions - is the PGL a waste of points for the defensive save it gives which i hoped may help against over-watch ? Would this be better spent on a Splinter Canon for the Kabalites ?

Should I be putting disintegrators onto the Raiders now I have a Ravager ?

Would a FF be better on the Wych and Succubus raider ?

any help appreciated

my rough plan was to use the ravager and dl's of the raiders against any tanks and any other ranged units like heavy support squads, then when his range has gone kite his las gun squads with the kabalite raider , get the wych's into CC, keep sniping with the ravager

Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: 550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?    550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?  I_icon_minitimeTue May 28 2013, 14:38

the PGL is a great way to soak overwatch shots. What you do is you charge the wyches through cover (which you should get off because of fleet) and with the stealth that is added due to the defensive grenades, you get a 3+~4+ save against all overwatch other than flamers. Pretty decent buy if you ask me.

As for the list, if you want a slight more damage output, and get a splinter cannon on the warriors, drop the Agoniser for a venom blade, a venom blade on the Hekatrix, and a splinter cannon on the warriors. It should help you overall even with the loss of AP3

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
knifeknuckle
Slave

PostSubject: Re: 550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?    550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?  I_icon_minitimeWed May 29 2013, 07:03

Thanks for the advice - this sounds like a much better use of points to me I made the changes. Looking forward to seeing how it works out Smile
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: 550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?    550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?  I_icon_minitimeWed May 29 2013, 08:09

I would agree with what shadows revenge has said, regarding your other questions, disintegrators are great against marines, particularly terminators, but unless you're likely to be facing termies (unlikely I'd think at 550 points) then stick with the lances, it gives you more flexibility if your opponent brings multiple vehicles, and can instant death many characters they might bring if you can isolate them.

As regards the flicker field vs night shields argument, it depends on your deployment, night shields can keep your raider safer than a flicker field will if you're far enough away, and you can then move and turbo boost to get yourself in charge range the next turn whilst bumping your jink up to 4+. The downside is that if you don't get the first turn you're still likely to be in range of AT weapons, and you won't have moved, but good deployment can alleviate this to a degree.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
knifeknuckle
Slave

PostSubject: Re: 550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?    550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?  I_icon_minitimeWed May 29 2013, 23:58

Thank-you for the help. I will be thinking very carefully about making use of cover on deployment and boosting out of LOS hopefully to some cover that the Wyches can assault from after that turn.

I will keep the DL as you suggest, I guess maximum removal of his range and transports has to be a priority in my first turn.

I appreciate the guidance in helping me to think about where I start from and make the best use of terrain to give me a chance. I am ahead on assembling and painting so I think I have 2 weeks to wait before we go , very much looking forward to it Smile

Let's see how it goes I think that starting with so few assets is tricky but I like the idea of having to think about what I do can't wait to get on the table tbh

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?    550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

550 point skirmish against Imperials - PGL a waste of points ?
Page 1 of 1