THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

"...Iz Delishus."

Go down 
+11
Spanna uv Komor-AAAGH!
SinisterPlank
GrenAcid
abjectus
Local_Ork
Gobsmakked
Archon Farath Mure
Raneth
Fletch
Archon
Raucir Lustingclaw
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24 2011, 11:44

My reaction upon opening my very first Dark Eldar box ever: The Raider.

Yesterday I hit my local GW and got two raiders, a box of warriors, a Failcast Succubus and a bunch of purple and red paints. I also ordered an extra box of warriors and a box of wyches online. My wallet is still screaming and bleeding in my back pocket, but I'm happy.

As a long-time fan of the Dark Eldar who'd never actually laid a finger on one of their models before, this was a big moment for me.

And boy was I pleased.

The Raider options are fantastic - two sets of blades, aethersails and rams, loads of unneccesary yet beautiful gubbins ie chains, skulls out the wazoo, spears and riders. And the riders! They're so tiny! I'm used to painting Space Marines, but my last two projects were Rat Ogres and a Warp Lightning Cannon (which I am admittedly rather proud of), so seeing these gorgeously sculpted but weeny little dudes covered in every sharp implement from the universe's deadliest kitchen drawer was a bit of a thrill if I'm perfectly honest.

I get the impression that the Dark Eldar are going to be the most challenging but rewarding army I've ever had the privilege of owning, in both a hobby and gaming sense.

Nothing else to say apart from that, really. I just had to squee!

Oh, and thanks for putting up with me.

Cheers,

Raucir

Kabalite Warrior
Archon

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24 2011, 14:50

I have to agree with you, Raucir. The new models are fantastic!
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Kabalite Warrior
Fletch

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24 2011, 16:24

Yeah the new codex and models are just amazing. I'd focus on putting together the plastic kits first before going after your Finecast stuff so you don't get frustrated (or maybe you will be lucky and get one without any issues)

GW has been really good about not giving people grief when they come to exchange their Finecast, so if you find it not up to your satisfaction don't hesitate to exchange it.

"If 50 million people believe a foolish idea, it's still a foolish idea"
- unknown
Back to top Go down
Raneth
Sybarite
Raneth

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24 2011, 16:32

Raucir Lustingclaw wrote:
I just had to squee!

I know how you feel! Got a unit of Incubi and their Venom staring at me from across the desk. They're sooooo purdy. Laughing

Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24 2011, 17:32

I've had the exact same thoughts as the OP since last November.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24 2011, 17:38

Like everyone else Raucir, I couldn't agree more.

Quick hint for you - paint inside the Raider/Ravager hulls and underneath the mesh flooring BEFORE you assemble them. You won't be able to afterwards, and it will annoy you!

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread

Last edited by Gobsmakked on Mon Jun 27 2011, 06:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24 2011, 17:57

New models are indeed nice. GW was FORCED to make new sculpts and molds, not recycle old crap. Also, digital 3D prototypes of vehicles ftw.
Back to top Go down
abjectus
Kabalite Warrior

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25 2011, 11:33

The new models are much nicer then the old. The succubus may benefit from finecast, the metal one I have keeps having the head and spear arm falloff.
By forced to make new; do you mean they worn out the old using them for that many years, or something else?
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25 2011, 12:10

Something else: 12+ year old sculpts just woldn't cut for non-SM army (SM are mostly "chunks of plastic" and "PG choice" by definition so people don't quite care how they junk look... sprayed with primer IF actually painted) and GW know that. Especially if You would like to have new vehicles.
Also, they just don't work out with new codex... like Grotesques, Archon and few other things that get changes in wargear/rules.
Back to top Go down
GrenAcid
Sybarite
GrenAcid

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25 2011, 20:14

I personaly think Raider/Ravager is best vehicle model GW put for sale so far.
Lots of option,
lots of bits,
lots of details,
awesome look, I could go on with more but we all know its just....perfect.

I dont have new razorwing so far but Ill wait for voidraven with final decision.

Archon of All-seeing Eye Cabal.
Back to top Go down
SinisterPlank
Hellion

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 11:17

I wouldn't limit my praise to just the ravs and raiders for the praise. All the DE plastic kits are just spoilt for options. You get almost twice as many heads as you have models, once you've rolled up a few kits, you'll have variations of every wargear upgrade there is, and all the vehicle upgrades. Coming from Imperial Guard, where the only upgrade I generally got, was a grenade launcher, a flamer and a dozer blade, and the rest I had to fabricate somehow.
basically, I'm a kitbasher, and the DE boxes are a kitbashers dream!
Back to top Go down
GrenAcid
Sybarite
GrenAcid

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 11:59

SinisterPlank wrote:
I wouldn't limit my praise to just the ravs and raiders for the praise. All the DE plastic kits are just spoilt for options. You get almost twice as many heads as you have models, once you've rolled up a few kits, you'll have variations of every wargear upgrade there is, and all the vehicle upgrades. Coming from Imperial Guard, where the only upgrade I generally got, was a grenade launcher, a flamer and a dozer blade, and the rest I had to fabricate somehow.
basically, I'm a kitbasher, and the DE boxes are a kitbashers dream!

Thats the problem for me, I dont need 20 heads in box, I need left/right hand with blast gun/pw/ ect....
I dont say it isnt nice but there are options I would see before pile of heads instead.

Back to top Go down
SinisterPlank
Hellion

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 12:08

That I can agree with, Some variation on weapon arms would be favourable. though, this is not something tied to DE specifically. There are very few kits out there with weaponhand variations. Most stick to the left hand sword, right hand gun setup.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 14:33

Well, if GW would include double set of special weapons in Scoruges box instead of freaking CCW I would be pleased.
Back to top Go down
GrenAcid
Sybarite
GrenAcid

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 22:40

Local_Ork wrote:
Well, if GW would include double set of special weapons in Scoruges box instead of freaking CCW I would be pleased.

No chance mate. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26 2011, 22:55

They actually did that with Grey Knights recently. And with SM in past. No xeno love <| B
Back to top Go down
Spanna uv Komor-AAAGH!
Kabalite Warrior
Spanna uv Komor-AAAGH!

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27 2011, 05:32

Local_Ork wrote:
No xeno love <| B
The Stompa kit would like to disagree with you. Vehemently.

Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27 2011, 14:03

Hahah! Good to see so many people enjoying these lovely new models. I recently watched the Developers' Round Table interviews for a bit more insight into the aesthetics.

Oh, I received my second box of Warriors and a shiny new box of Wyches today, so I have even more toys to be excited about!

Regarding the Raider building - the blasted thing fought me every step of the way, but I've assembled it into four different sections before painting - the hull, the aethersail assembly, the Dark Lance and the Infantry (so pilot, gunner, passengers...). And there are so many bits left in the box!

Brilliant fun, can't wait to unwrap these wyches when I get home!

Raucir

Sybarite
Raneth

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27 2011, 17:01

Spanna uv Komor-AAAGH! wrote:
Local_Ork wrote:
No xeno love <| B

Orks aren't really Xenos. We all have a bit of green in us Very Happy

Xelkireth
In Exile

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28 2011, 01:41

Raneth wrote:
Spanna uv Komor-AAAGH! wrote:
Local_Ork wrote:
No xeno love <| B

Orks aren't really Xenos. We all have a bit of green in us Very Happy
I beg to differ. All Dark Eldar all the time.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28 2011, 11:45

GrenAcid wrote:
I personaly think Raider/Ravager is best vehicle model GW put for sale so far.
Lots of option,
lots of bits,
lots of details,
awesome look, I could go on with more but we all know its just....perfect.

I'd have to agree with this. The Raider is easily my favourite Dark Eldar model and possibly GW too.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
CDSzafraniec
Slave
CDSzafraniec

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18 2011, 16:09

I havnt been this impressed with a model range since the Orks. The amount of detail on a 6 pt model was astounding, the earrings, the gubbins, etc. Now I have Dark Eldar Warriors that are just jaw dropping. Honestly, im intimindated as hell about painting them Smile
Back to top Go down
ivaldir
Hellion
ivaldir

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11 2011, 19:44

I have no real expirience with the old models other than pictures on the internet.
But i like the new models more.

The only thing i don't realy like is the fact that you cant place units on the raider.
But there's nothing some converting can't fix, if I ever get to that -.-

Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12 2011, 11:14

ivaldir wrote:
The only thing i don't realy like is the fact that you cant place units on the raider.

Not the whole squad, no, but what you can do is glue the "plank" in place and fit a standard infantry-sized base on there quite easily! I'm going to install magnets on the bottom of each of my squad leaders and HQ choices to a corresponding magnet on the plank to show who's riding what.

Raucir

"...Iz Delishus." Empty
PostSubject: Re: "...Iz Delishus."   "...Iz Delishus." I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"...Iz Delishus."
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: