THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

DE vs. tau and chaos marines

Go down 
+2
lobo60
Vanzahn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Vanzahn
Slave

DE vs. tau and chaos marines Empty
PostSubject: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10 2013, 17:34

I am newer to DE and am having trouble getting tactics down right when facing tau and chaos marines. any advice would be very much welcome. right now I'm running a squad of ten kabalites, a squad of whyches and a haemonculus with a raider transport. if any of that is pertinent.
Back to top Go down
lobo60
Hellion
lobo60

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18 2013, 21:47

I would add a ravager, another squad of kabalites (possibly in a raider or a 20 man squad), for heldrakes you'll want a razorwing w/ 2 dark lances. Scourges are cool for anti tank but against tau I find a squad of 6 reavers with cautops or whatev is nice by turbo boasting over them.
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18 2013, 22:14

It would help to have an idea of the size of the game and what your opponents are running or what you have trouble with in particular. If what you list is all of your army, then it sounds like a very small game. Are you up against tanks? Heldrake? Riptide?
Back to top Go down
Vanzahn
Slave

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19 2013, 00:19

the size is at 500 right now, but we are planning to increase that soon. the only armor I'm up against is a chaos walker. the tau's "jump shoot jump" ability tears holes in my strategy of waiting for the enemy to come to me.
Back to top Go down
panic
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19 2013, 09:56

1 monc 50
5 warriors in venom extra cannon x2 220
Ravager night shields x2 230

Warriors stay out of venoms and focus on securing objectives... FNP from monc + go to ground on objective

Ravagers will crush the walker and crisis suits.. just approach carefully and premeasure! Keep venoms away from crisis suits and walker and max range on the other units then pepper him with poison and they will go down.. I find the tau die very fast and you can use ravagers on the marines when walker dead so they get no armor save
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19 2013, 10:14

500 points is tricky, since it doesn't give you a lot of options. I'd drop the Wyches though - their best use is hunting tanks with HWGs and from the sound of it you're not up against any tanks. Even our Warriors should beat Tau in CC.

If you're playing small games on a small board (4x4) then the Talos is pretty useful, since its lack of speed is less of a factor.

Last edited by Ben_S on Wed Jun 19 2013, 13:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vanzahn
Slave

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19 2013, 12:56

okay, thanks for the help. i will definitely try these ideas and see how it works. any more suggestions would be welcome.
Back to top Go down
panic
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19 2013, 12:58

How big is your board and does it have much line of sight blocking terrain ..high enough for our skimmers and reavers
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19 2013, 22:17

Vanzahn wrote:
the tau's "jump shoot jump" ability tears holes in my strategy of waiting for the enemy to come to me.

That's a strange strategy for Dark Eldar - we live (and kill) by our manouvrability. Get more transports, use them to frustrate your enemy by getting where he doesn't want you, keeping out of his line of sight and ganging up on isolated parts of his line.

And you can't go far wrong by adding a Ravager - even at 500 points you should be able to squeeze one into your list.
Back to top Go down
Vanzahn
Slave

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20 2013, 14:10

the board we have just recently started using is 60" by 60". and as far as my strategy i do more than just sit and wait, but when the enemy is approaching my troops i try to keep them out of line of sight until i am able to charge. that's what i meant by that waiting for the enemy, sorry for any confusion.
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20 2013, 16:46

Thing is, as a Tau player, I would never approach your troops. I would sit at max range and pick you off with pulse weapons or jump-shoot-jump battlesuits. You are never going to out-shoot Tau, so you need transports to get close to him to stop him doing this.
Back to top Go down
Vanzahn
Slave

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 22 2013, 00:19

okay, thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
Snakeman
Slave

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25 2013, 08:20

I'm a fairly new player too but have just started getting some wins. The key was mobility and that means getting lots of cheap vehicles.

The enemy will never come to you, you are evil space elves and everyone is scared silly of you - and rightly so.

Reavers are great for first blood, contesting late game, and getting line breaker, but one of the best things about DE is that there are so many different ways to play and win. Try reading some of the batreps in this forum and you will get some great ideas

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DE vs. tau and chaos marines   DE vs. tau and chaos marines I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DE vs. tau and chaos marines
Page 1 of 1