THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Harlequin Fluff Army

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Laetur
Slave
Laetur

Harlequin Fluff Army Empty
PostSubject: Harlequin Fluff Army   Harlequin Fluff Army I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10 2013, 22:24

Greetings Archons of the whole Eldar race!

Please excuse that my english isn't perfect. I'm from germany and kind of new here. And i believe its the first time i write something in english into a forum. Smile

I don't know how to explain it, but right now i'm stacked. I started to play Warhammer in 2009 and found my love in the new Dark Eldar Codex. But it didnt stopped there... i noticed there is more behind the ones who live in the shadow: The Harlequins!
I love the whole lore around Harlequins, i mean... is there something more awesome as clowns! in the year 40,000 who fights against the chaos and wants to union their race!? Clowns! Freaking awesome clowns! Very Happy You notice, i love them... Wink

In 5th Edition i tested out the Fritz Harlequin List... 30 Harlequins, Pathfinders and 3 Wraithlords. I won every game with this list, but it was - boring. So i created a Webway list in my own style and it was close to perfection until 6th Edition arrived. In 6th everything changed and the Webway wasn't competitive anymore. I tried it out, and even won some games, but it is not a good way to go.
So i tried out the Stealth+Shrouded Harlequin Star with doubled Archon's on higher points. A funny list, but kind of cheesy too. Specially with a Farseer. I tried out some other things, even mechanized, and found a dirty tournament list that works for me. But it is mechanized and i don't like mechanized lists, because they aren't fluffy enough. Venom works, but i can't imagine Raiders and Ravager in a Harlequin Troupe.

And now there is the new Eldar Codex and everything changed again. I'm completely confused right now, because i don't know what to do.
Everything would be easy, if the Elite-Harlequin's unit would stick with Stealth+Shrouded... but its back to the old Veil-of-Tears and i even have to cast it with LD9! So it may fail and isn't up in the first turn. Also i'm going to use those rules for the Dark Eldar Harlequins, because it will be FAQed sooner or later anyway.

The Mantle of the Laughing God is more as interesting. Tried it out on a Farseer and was amazed of the capabilities. Fluff wise i should use it on a Autarch, so i have a nice Solitair on the field. Should work like a scalpel Smile A model/unit that perfectly fit my aggressive, kind of suicidal, play style.
But at this point i have no clue what i should field. Nether with Eldar, nor with Dark Eldar. I don't know which of both races should be my primary detachment and which of them my secondary. Also i have a lot of restriction's of units i can't use: Haemonculi+Wracks are out (i use Wraithlord conversion for Taloi), Raiders are out, not sure about Beasts, all Eldar Vehicles, the Wraith-Stuff (except the Lords/Knight? who can count as a Marionette )and i don't like the Warwalkers model. Also i'm fluff wise unsure about flyers, but i need some anti air. Specially since the Helldrake is hard to handle.

So far it is a long text and this leads me to my final and only question:
How can i build a competitive fluff list with the new Veil-of-Tear Harlequins?
Any good ideas so far? Smile

Thanks and Greetz,
Laetur
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Fluff Army   Harlequin Fluff Army I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11 2013, 13:18

first off fluff is all in the eye of the beholder. Remember things like mimes and harlies that haven't been soul bonded yet go around with the troupe. These members can be represented by kabalites, wyches, or guardians (actually wyches would be a nice idea for mimes... just saying) Also with raiders and stuff like that, these people need ways to get around. Ofc they really use venoms, but I can see them getting other crafts that go well through the webway (meaning any tank that CWE or DE use).

As for the fighters, there is a C.S. Groto book that the harlies used bother a raven and a nightwing against people... but again that was C.S. Groto... so...

I do think you can build a fluffy list around harlies. You have two whole codex's at your disposal to build a decent list. the problem is which to be your primary... personally I would say CWE due to the farseer being a decent high warlock, and the autarch being either the high avatar or the solitaire.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Laetur
Slave
Laetur

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Fluff Army   Harlequin Fluff Army I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11 2013, 21:27

EDIT: It's a long Post again. Have fun to read :)Probably this post is only there to sort my thoughts. Oh and please excuse my mistakes Smile

Yeah i know, i can bound the fluff the way i want to. But there are limitations in my mind Razz
I call those "not soul bonded" Aspirants. Kabalite Warriors for example are a good way to field Aspirants. Or Dire Avangers, Windrider Jetbikes, Guardians... there are couples of ways to field Aspirants. Also i love the idea about Scourges modeled as colorful hummingbirds in my army.
About those Tanks... Venoms have a clear big yes. They do use them. But i don't believe that a complete Troupe has the time and the personal to maintenance many tanks. They are traveling through the Webway most of the time. So that's why i don't want to field this stuff.

Today at work i thought about some stuff and i have a small clue now with what i want to go, but don't know how to make a list out of it. Eldar has to be the primary detachment, because otherwise i can't field a high Shadowseer together with a Solitair.

The only thing that is pretty clear right now is the HQ section:
HQ Section
Code:
Farseer (with Eldar-Jetbike)
+ Soulestone of Anath'lan
 - - - > 115(130) Points

Pretty minimalistic. He is only there to cast psipowers and i don't believe he need much stuff. With jetbike or without depends on the unit he should go in. And right now i don't know where to put him into. For 15 points those Soulestone is a great item and let him cast nearly as much as Eldrad. And Eldrad costs far to much points to buy him as a HQ in my list.

Code:
Autarch with Eldar-Jetbike
+ (Mandiblaster)
+ (Fusion Gun)
+ Impulselance
+ Mantle of the Laughing God
 - - - > 135(155) Points

He is there for fluff reason. Finally i can field a real Solitair and don't have to use something like Kheradruakh or Solo-Duke (oh my, Solo-Duke is fun!). Only Weapons which ignore cover may kill him and if i get into close combat with the wrong unit. So he is the nasty scalpel in my army. The Mandiblaster und Fusion Gun is optionally, but i believe they are worth their points. The Mandiblaster is actually a second Hammer of Wraith. I believe it could be worth it points, if i can afford enough to buy it.

Code:
Baron Sathonyx
 - - - > 105 Points

If i want to field Dark Eldar as allies he is the only character that comes into my mind. So i could go with Hellions as troops or Beasts. The Farseer on a Jetbike could join both units without problems too. Out of tactical reason i prefer the Beasts, but that feels kind of unqueeny. But why couldn't Beastmaster become Harlequins? Also they field Webway Beasts... and who is traveling the whole time through the Webway? Smile
By the way: My Beast-Baron Mastermime uses an advanced clone field technology that creates up to 5 "real" clones of him Wink
The other HQ choice i prefer would be an Archon... but to field this i need a way to field Harlequins. And they don't look competitive to me anymore. Right now i noticed that the Shadowseer isn't allowed to field a Harlequin-Kiss anymore O.o Phil? Why Phil? Why did you pushed them through the FAQ so much and why do you nerf them so much now? If you don't get the first turn and if you fail the LD test for the psipower they are dead in an instant. And they are far to expensive to die so fast. Invisible Queens are still nice... but what if i don't get the first turn?

The Dark Eldar Allies
I would like to go with some units i already use in my regular Dark Eldar List. I know how to use them, and i know which job the can do and that this build works. The problem is still the primary detachment:

Code:
3x(4x) Kabalite Trueborns, 3x(4x) Blaster, Haywire Grenades
+ Venom, Dual Splinter Cannon
 - - - > 152(181) Points

Fills up the Elite Slot, gives me some AI and some AT. Trueborns are the way to go in this slot, because i can use them as Deathjesters.
Another way to go would be 3x Trueborns with 2x Dark Lances. Its cheaper, but i still like the Hay-Blaster-Borns, because there aren't much tanks that they can't take out.

Code:
5x Wytches, Haywire Grenades
 - - - > 125 Points

5x Wytches, Haywire Grenades
 - - - > 125 Points

With 2 of those i have 3 Venoms on the field. So some nice AI and i love Haywire Grenades :)Also Wytches fill up the role of Mimes. In 5th i used 30-45 of those out of an Webway.
The other way to fill up my troop choice is to use 15-20 Hellions. It saves a lot of points for the primary detachment, but i will lose those Venoms and anti tank power. I could also go without Venoms, use Hellions and Lanceborns only. But i'm quite unsure about it.

Code:
5x Beastmasters
+ 5x(10x) Khymeras
+ 8x (6x) Razorwing-Flock
 - - - > 240(270) Points

I know it's expensive. But there aren't much unit stronger in close combat as this one. Specially boosted with Psipowers. 15 Hellions+Helliarch would be around 250 Points too. So if i drop the Wytches i would save 250 points.

The primary Detachment.
And now i'm on the point where i dont have any ideas anymore what i can field. The HQ section uses up 390 points, the Dark Eldar allies another 642 points with Trueborns, Wytches and Beasts. 336 Points if i use Lanceborns and 15 Hellions. So i have between 468-774 points in a 1500 point game to spend on Eldar and 500 more in a 2000 point game.
Dire Avengers would be a good way to field Aspirants. So 2x 10 would be a way to go, but thats already 320 points... a Wraithlord would be nice too, so my Troupe owns a Marionette. But one will go down fast, so i probably need 2 and this is expensive again.
I like the artillery, but the D-Cannon is short in range and i know that i need range. So a Vibro Cannon would be a way to go and i could field a Aegis+Quadgun and place the Artillery behind it. But Harlequins and an Aegis? Quite unsure about it, but could model a mobile version out of Jetbikes or Weapon Platforms. Also Vibro Cannons are cheap.

Another thing is that right now i dont make use about the reserve manipulation rules of my Autarch. The Crimson Hunter makes use of it. So instead of an Aegis i could field this to take down flyers. Specially because you can't protect the Quadgun and if the enemy field flyers he will take down the Quadgun pretty soon.
That leaves two slots free in the Fast Attack choice which benefits from the reserve manipulation: Swooping Hawks and Warpspiders.
Swooping Hawks, modeld as Hummingbird-Painted Scourges would look more then awesome. But i'm completely unsure about the synergy. Warp Spiders have the scattering problem, and i have very bad experience with deep striking and scattering in the wrong directions. But all in all, except the random movement, warp spiders seem to be far better as scourges. They can shoot down nearly anything and cost only 3 points more. By math 6 or 7 of them is enough to bring down nearly every vehicle up to AV13 in one round. And 114/133 points isn't so expensive. But it is only 96 for 6 Hawks...

I'm completely confused right now again and will stop here.
I hope here is someone that can help me to fill up my primary detachment and bring synergy into my ideas Smile

Greetings from Laetur

PS: The whole "List" so far all together:

Code:
***************  2 HQ  + 1 Allie ***************  
Farseer with Eldar-Jetbike
 - - - > 130 Points

Autarch with Eldar-Jetbike
+ Mandiblaster
+ Fusion Gun
+ Impulslance
+ Mantle of the Laughing God
 - - - > 155 Points

[DarkEldar] Baron Sathonyx
 - - - > 105 Points

***************  no Troops + 2 Allies ***************  
[DarkEldar]5x Wytches, Haywire Grenades+ Venom, Dual Splinter Cannon
 - - - > 125 Points

[DarkEldar]5x Wytches, Haywire Grenades
 - - - > 125 Points

***************  no Elite  + 1 Allie ***************  
[DarkEldar]3x Kabalite Trueborns, 3x Blaster, Haywire Grenades
 - - - > 152 Points

***************  no Fast Attack  + 1 Allies ***************  
[DarkEldar]5x Beastmasters
+ 5x Khymeras
+ 8x Razorwing-Flock
 - - - > 240 Points

1032 Points
Back to top Go down
Laetur
Slave
Laetur

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Fluff Army   Harlequin Fluff Army I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14 2013, 17:21

Soo... having my 'Core-Build' in mind i tried to put in the Heavy Support, but failed totally. Only with dropping all Dark Eldar Units and fielding only Baron+Hellions i could do 2x Wraithlords and Dark Reapers. But then i noticed something:
Artillery is more awesome as i thought! It's 90 Points for 12 T7 wounds! Its equivalent to 4 Taloi, except that artillery can't move and can't do anything in close combat. But who cares? It's 1/4 of the points. The Vibro Cannons shooting output is nearly the same as for a Ravager, for less points and higher durable. You need to strip down 5 wounds, until one gun is removed. Then another 3 until the next gun is gone..
So i came up with this list:
OnlineCodex wrote:
***************  2 HQ  + 1 Ally ***************  
Farseer, Eldar-Jetbike
- - - > 130 Points

Autarch, Eldar-Jetbike
+ 1x Fusion Gun, 1x Impulslance, Mantle of the Laughing God
- - - > 145 Points

Warlock Council
+ Warlock
+ Warlock
+ Warlock
- - - > 105 Points

[DarkEldar] Baron Sathonyx
- - - > 105 Points

***************  4 Troops + 2 Allies ***************  
3x Windrider Jetbikes, 1x Shuriken Cannon
- - - > 61 Points

- - - > 61 Points

- - - > 61 Points

- - - > 61 Points

- - - > 125 Points

- - - > 125 Points

***************  no Elite + 1 Ally ***************  
[DarkEldar]3x Kabalite Trueborns, 3x Blaster, Haywire Grenades
- - - > 152 Points

***************  2 Fast Attack  + 1 Ally ***************  
6x Warp Spiders
- - - > 114 Points

6x Warp Spiders
- - - > 114 Points

[DarkEldar]Beasts
+ 5x Beastmasters
+ 10x Khymeras
+ 6x Razorwing-Flock
- - - > 270 Points

*************** 3 Heavy Support ***************  
Vaul's Wrath Support Batteries
+ 3x Shadow Weaver
- - - > 90 Points

+ 3x Vibro Cannon
- - - > 90 Points

+ 3x Vibro Cannon
- - - > 90 Points

*************** Fortification ***************  
Aegis Defense Line with Quad Gun
- - - > 100 Points

I had to drop the Mandiblaster from the Solitair and 2 Warp Spiders, but can now field 10 Khymeras.
The shooting output of the artillery is high enough, that the opponent can't ignore it. And it will take some time to get rid of it. Problem is the 5+ armor save save of the gun crew. So i had to switch out the Crimson Hunter for an Aegis and i don't like the Aegis, because you can focus the Quad-Gun.
But this frees enough points to field 3 Warlocks and those will stick with the Artillery. They can use the Quad-Gun and may try to shroud the artilleries for a 2+ cover save. The problem is the LD8 and if i get a peril one warlock is dead. But it's also possible to shroud the beasts in first turn, so they won't take much casualties until they arriving close combat.

The biggest problem is still the troop choice. Two units of suicidal Haywire-Wytches and 12 Jetbikes. I hope the thread of the other unit's is big enough so that at least some of the Troop Choice may survive and i can still reserve some Jetbikes.

The other thing i thought about is fielding D-Cannons instead of Shadow Weavers or a Vibro-Cannons. D-Cannons behind the Aegis would give me total control over the middle battlefield. But it needs another 75 points and i'm not sure where i can free them up.
Any ideas for the D-Cannon and an alternative for the troop choice?

Greetz, Laetur
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Fluff Army   Harlequin Fluff Army I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17 2013, 15:40

I enjoy the list. I think it will be a fun army to play.

As for options for D-Cannons, I would maybe drop the trueborn and take them instead. If you really want dark lances then, you can drop the wyches for some warriors instead.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harlequin Fluff Army   Harlequin Fluff Army I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Harlequin Fluff Army
Page 1 of 1