THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Shattered Tower

Go down 
+9
the_dukes_scion
Nullus
Lord_Alino
GAR
LSK
Ben_S
Herbert West
Darthvegeta800
Trystis
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Trystis
Kabalite Warrior
Trystis

Kabal of the Shattered Tower Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21 2013, 08:41

I have been slowly building my Kabal, and decided to start a project log. I'm not a very good painter, and I can't take pictures. So here is what I have so far. I'm currently working on some more Reavers, and finishing up a Ravager. I need to finish the guns for most of the models, and I haven't based them yet. If you guys have any ideas for how to base them please let me know. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

My archon
Kabal of the Shattered Tower A12" />

Harlequins
Kabal of the Shattered Tower H10" />

Warriors
Kabal of the Shattered Tower V211" />

Kabal of the Shattered Tower R211

Razorwing
Kabal of the Shattered Tower Rw10

Last edited by Trystis on Sat Dec 21 2013, 09:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Darthvegeta800
Hellion
Darthvegeta800

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21 2013, 13:13

Looking great so far!
The bone/sandy/yellowish colors seme to be having a distinct rise in popularity.
In any case quite the effective colorscheme!
And I would not belittle your paintingskills. They're well beyond adequate. In fact i'd call them very good! Great job!
Back to top Go down
Herbert West
Kabalite Warrior
Herbert West

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21 2013, 14:45

Looks really clean ! the use of bright colors in a monochrom scheme is really difficult and original.

"not a good painter" ... ooookay... if you want. ^^

Kabal of the Shattered Tower 000311
Back to top Go down
Trystis
Kabalite Warrior
Trystis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23 2013, 23:12

Thanks for the feedback! There are a lot of black and purple dark eldar locally so I wanted to paint mine differently. When I was looking around for ideas I saw some dark eldar that were painted like bone, but with parts painted as exposed muscle. It was really cool. I also liked the deathwing color scheme so I kinda used it. I choose yellow because it has an exotic feel to me for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24 2013, 00:41

The warriors look a little unfinished to me. I know you say you still need to finish the guns, but at distance I think the yellow doesn't provide enough contrast with the bone to make them 'pop'. If you like them as they are then of course don't change for my sake, but if they were mine I'd be tempted to try a stronger contrast colour.

You're a far better painter than me though. And the Harlequins especially are really good.
Back to top Go down
LSK
Kabalite Warrior
LSK

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24 2013, 07:02

Ben_S wrote:
The warriors look a little unfinished to me. I know you say you still need to finish the guns, but at distance I think the yellow doesn't provide enough contrast with the bone to make them 'pop'.
To me, yellow is ok and also an original choice.
The finishing touch that could make them shine: basing! a good base is what brings a miniature to life Smile
Back to top Go down
Trystis
Kabalite Warrior
Trystis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26 2013, 08:38

@Ben_S I can definitely see what your saying. LSK has a similar scheme, but used red. It came out really well, and made me a little jealous. Ultimately I'm really happy with the yellow though.

@LSK I really want to get them based! I'm just at a loss for what to do for the base. I will keep thinking about it while I finish up my reader squad.

Kabalite Warrior
Trystis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04 2013, 13:36

I finished the other 6 Reavers. I really like the way Dark Eldar bits can be used across the range. When I started putting the riders together I raided my bits for CCW weapons for a couple of them. It's a fun way to personalize the models a bit. I do wish I had thought more about which ones had special weapons before I finished so that I could of made it easier to differentiate. Oh well...

Kabal of the Shattered Tower Rv210

Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04 2013, 14:21

I highly approve.

They could, in my opinion, use stronger shading to add more depth and definition. However, they are very neatly painted and love cohesive and uniform across the army, so as an army, these will look rather good.

You will get a lot of compliments on your army once it is complete and you start to play it. I started my own Black Halo almost 3 years ago and it never fails to draw attention. They are desert themed and use a gold color.

Kabal of the Shattered Tower Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Herbert West
Kabalite Warrior
Herbert West

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04 2013, 20:53

Nice Bikers !

What's next ?

Kabal of the Shattered Tower 000311
Back to top Go down
Trystis
Kabalite Warrior
Trystis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19 2013, 01:11

Thanks for your encouragement! I have been working on my shading with mixed results. Sometimes it seems like it comes out well and other times it looks like I spilled a jar of wash on my models. Hopefully I can figure out how to do it consistently. One thing I have noticed is I need to get a better place to paint.

I have been working on a Talos, but took a break from it to make a Haemonculi. I should have the Talos finished soon, but here is the Haemonculi.

Kabal of the Shattered Tower Hae11" />

I went with something a little different for him than the rest of my Kabal. When I read the Path of the Renegade and the Path of the Incubus I noticed the Heamonculi are really in their own system so I painted mine in different colors than the rest of my forces. I plan on merging the two color schemes in the rest of my coven forces to show somewhat dual allegiances. Hopefully I should finish my Talos in the next week to have an example. After that I plan on basing my army... hopefully...

Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05 2013, 04:38

I like the haemonculi, I will name him Francis.

Very nice models you have here, I really like them
Back to top Go down
Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06 2013, 12:55

Loving the paint scheme you've chosen. Works very well and the paint job is very neat. I have always found that if you can paint neatly you can paint well. There is no real need for any fancy techniques.

Really nice job, especially on the bikes.

the_dukes_scion
Hellion
the_dukes_scion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07 2013, 04:07

haemy does make a nice contrast and will stand out amongst all that bone. White or shades of are very difficult to get right and smooth. This is a nice job. And who doesn't love the riot of colour that are the harlies? If I could make a suggestion, a spot colour is a good way to get that contrast without changing your scheme. The hair on wyches and hellions is good for this, giving you a nice contrast without comprising the cohesion of your scheme, for example.

Basing is really subjective. Some like the idea of basing to a battlefield. I have a predominantly green/brown game board, so the bases were made for that. Does it look odd on a desert base, yes, but it is all the same and therefore less noticeable. A good way to start is to pick a colour to paint your base (brown/green/black/grey/white even). This may give you the idea then of what sort of base. A rocky base could be brown or grey, a city ruin grey or black, snow in white and so on.

Hope that helps. I also like tufts and left over bits sticking into the base, like knives, guns, ruins, skulls, whatever really. Personal preference but adds to the feel. The colour scheme here may benefit from a contrasting, darker base to make the light colours vibrant.

Kabalite Warrior
Trystis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21 2013, 09:43

Lord_Alino wrote:
I like the haemonculi, I will name him Francis.
Henceforth his name shall be Francis! He looks like a friendly chap who wants to give you a hug and a present.

@Nullus Thanks! The bikes are one my favorite things to paint, and I'm tempted to get some more. I decided to work on some other stuff instead.

@the_dukes_scion Thank you for the compliments, and especially for the advice. I think you'e right and I may paint my witches/hellions with yellow hair to help unify them with the rest of the army. I'm kinda impulsive so we will see what happens when I get some.

I have gone back and based some of my models with a dark grey. I think I will add some stuff to it like you mentioned (I have some bits that I could add to a couple of the bases at the very least), but I think they look at lot better even with the simple job I have done so far.

I finished my Talos a while back, but have been to busy to do anything to complicated (which gave me time to start basing). I really like how he came out for the most part. I kinda painted my self into a corner with how to paint bone thats bone since my armor is bone colored so that bone rack on his back and his tail are not as nice as I would like. oh well...

Kabal of the Shattered Tower Ta210

Next Incubi!

Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21 2013, 13:59

Good job on the color scheme, I'ld love to see a yellow themed Dark eldar force like your talos. Good thing you made it work and look well! Perhaps you should repaint everything more yellow? :p

Cult of Bladed Violet & Kabal of Violet Storm - DE army

The Ovatan Dynasty - Necron army
Back to top Go down
Trystis
Kabalite Warrior
Trystis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23 2013, 08:37

@facelessabsalom Thanks! Maybe I will do some Iyanden allies using the same yellow. Probably not though because I don't want to be to tied to the existing fluff

I finished some Incubi going with a pretty standard color scheme but using yellow on the cloth.

Kabal of the Shattered Tower I10

Hellion
MordredBloodyhand

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24 2013, 06:01

I really like your colour scheme and you painting looks clean and good. The Talos looks great!
Back to top Go down
LSK
Kabalite Warrior
LSK

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30 2013, 12:13

excellent! yellow works well with darkoutift. It has good contrast, and it is still in line with teh rest of your army

Trystis
Kabalite Warrior
Trystis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21 2013, 09:50

I painted a Death Jester up for my Harlequins. I tried to do it completely in grey, black, and white. It didn't come out as well as I thought it would in my head. I still think someone with more ability could make it work though.

Kabal of the Shattered Tower Dj10

I have also finished some Craftworld allies/side army, but don't have any pictures. I will post some eventually probably.

Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21 2013, 10:33

I really like it almost like a pencil drawing come to life, though I think it might look better if the white was less... white... more like an incredibly light shade of grey.

I say that as its all excellent tones of grey, even the black doesn't look pitch black but a very dark grey if you see what I mean? And the bright white makes that look more fuzzy.

Good job anyway!

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
Trystis
Kabalite Warrior
Trystis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15 2014, 10:00

I have been busy lately so I haven't had much time to paint I finished up some CW eldar as allies though. It was nice to work with some different colors.

Farseer
Kabal of the Shattered Tower Fs10

Counts as Avatar
Kabal of the Shattered Tower Av11
I don't know how to make the picture load correctly and I don't care enough to try.

Dire Avengers and their Wave Serpent
Kabal of the Shattered Tower Da10

I'm not sure what I'm going to work on next, maybe some Rangers. I kinda want to go back to working on my DE though so who knows.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 12 2014, 00:32

How do you do the checker patterns so small. I want to get some harrlequins cuz I love the models but I don't know if I'd be able to do that!

I love the paint scheme on your Avatar and Talos.
Back to top Go down
Trystis
Kabalite Warrior
Trystis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeSun May 18 2014, 08:20

@Tittliewinks22 Patience is the biggest trick to painting the checker pattern. Just pick a place and paint one diamond, and then try to match it exactly next to it. You will probably mess up, but then you use the other color to fix the edge to where its the right size. Then just repeat. There is probably a better way to do it honestly, but it worked out ok for me.

I finally added some wytches

Kabal of the Shattered Tower W11

Kabalite Warrior
Trystis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06 2015, 03:35

I mostly painted some wracks. I wanted them to have a flayed skinless look, but it was harder to pull off than I thought it would be. Im still ok with the results though. Still need to finish the guns, as usual...

I should have a Chronos finished soon to use in a dark artisan formation. Then I will be free to work on some more harlequins which I'm pretty excited about.

Kabal of the Shattered Tower Image11

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Shattered Tower   Kabal of the Shattered Tower I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Shattered Tower
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: