THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?

Go down 
+3
Vasara
Count Adhemar
ligolski
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ligolski
Wych
ligolski

Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? Empty
PostSubject: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 04:10

So I am taking a unit of wraiths as allies in my DE army and will be troops thanks to my spiritseer. The question is how do I kit them out? I don't want the axes because of the unwieldly rule. Also I will be putting them a wave serpent when I can. Template weapons are delicious, str 10 is awesome and I love some good assault guys.

My army is based around a high toughness core consisting of taloses, grots, a wraithknight and these guys.

I use the talos (i have 1 and will use 2 when i get my second) and my grots to assault stuff when I can and beat the crap out of things.

So the question I now face is what weapon set do I do?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 09:14

I love either the D-Scythes or the Wraitcannon but I'd give the swords a miss. Average WS and I and low number of attacks makes Wraithblades expensive but pretty average. Stick to shooting IMO.
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 09:38

I'll second that. And the lack of assault vehicles makes the desicion even more easy. Wraithcannons s10 is way to go.
Back to top Go down
ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 13:45

i suppose I could use more anti-tank...I don't have a lot of lances yet. The wraithcannons would certainly be a punch in the face against anything, MCs to tanks. Ill make them more apt to go after the tough crap I face. The wave serpent is going to be tooled towards anti infantry and light vehicle work using a s. cannon, scatter laser and shield.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 16:02

Vasara wrote:
I'll second that. And the lack of assault vehicles makes the desicion even more easy. Wraithcannons s10 is way to go.

I'd go with this as well. S10 is NICE Twisted Evil  D-sythes are absolutely ruthless, making them a damn-near unchargeable unit, but given the other expensive anti-infantry units that you are using (Grots/Talos) I would save the points and get some very reliable AT/monstrous creature killing Wraithcannons.
Back to top Go down
Finn
Kabalite Warrior
Finn

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 16:06

Wraithcannons. S10 works miracles in such numbers. If d-Scythes had torrent, it would be different story, but your wraithguard is going to be short range anyway.
Back to top Go down
Finn
Kabalite Warrior
Finn

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01 2013, 19:47

After rethinking the case, I'd go for the scythes. Sure, it's 50p more expensive in a 5 man squad, BUT...

1. They still have distort;
2. They are capable of generating a HUGE number of hits, while wraithcannons will usually score 3-4, even if you guide them;
3. Their short range is not an issue if you are using your guard out of a Serpent. The range difference is marginal;
4. They are one of the few ignore cover/AP2 weapons in game.

Still, wraithcannons are good. I'd choose them if I didn't have the points. I also wouldn't take 2 units with scythes.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02 2013, 01:07

Having used scythes myself, they are a truly horrific weapon. It gets around the bs4 in terms of to hit, generates a huge volume of hits and can ID things to boot. With a serpent the range issue is removed.
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02 2013, 10:11

Liquid death overwatch is nice too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02 2013, 10:32

I've only used D-Scythes once and they should have been utterly deadly. I managed to get into position to flame a unit of chaos terminators and got 11 AP2 wounds on them, including 4 instant deaths.

Killed 2 of them...
Back to top Go down
Finn
Kabalite Warrior
Finn

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02 2013, 10:45

Count Adhemar wrote:
I've only used D-Scythes once and they should have been utterly deadly. I managed to get into position to flame a unit of chaos terminators and got 11 AP2 wounds on them, including 4 instant deaths.

Killed 2 of them...
Which means that wraithcannons would have been much less effective, as you usually cannot go around inv saves.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02 2013, 11:17

Finn wrote:
Count Adhemar wrote:

Killed 2 of them...
Which means that wraithcannons would have been much less effective, as you usually cannot go around inv saves.

Yeah, the scythes were definitely the better option there. It was just incredible luck on the part of my opponents with his invulnerable saves. I nearly cried!
Back to top Go down
ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02 2013, 14:06

I plan on using my wraiths as tank hunters and MC hunters when needed. So I'll try out the cannons for now Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?   Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wraithcannon, D-scythe, or ghostblades?
Page 1 of 1