THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

WIP Salamanders army

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Grub
Wych
Grub

WIP Salamanders army Empty
PostSubject: WIP Salamanders army   WIP Salamanders army I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 11:34

The past few weeks I have been painting up a 3000 point Salamander list after acquiring a job lot of marines on the cheap! Most of the painting has been done, need to think about bases and a little tidying up on the details!
Here are a few of them, any tips or suggestions are welcomed!

WIP Salamanders army Dsc00610

Some thunder hammer termies (tried to give the hammers a small glow)

WIP Salamanders army Termin11

Green-stuff Vulkan (avoiding paying GW any more money!)
WIP Salamanders army Vulkan10

WIP Salamanders army Vulkan11

WIP Salamanders army Vulkan12

And the vehicle scheme:
WIP Salamanders army Predat10

Not sure what to do for the bases, Lava would be an obvious but typical choice and although would look good on the shelf might not fit in well on most boards!
Back to top Go down
Lord Valestrane
Slave
Lord Valestrane

PostSubject: Re: WIP Salamanders army   WIP Salamanders army I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 14:05

That captain looks like a boss!

Nice work. Is that greenstuff on his tabard and cloak? Im rather envious.

I do agree with the lava base dilemma, maybe a suitably dark volcanic grey as a counterpoint to the lively green?
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: WIP Salamanders army   WIP Salamanders army I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 15:14

Thanks thats really appreciated, yeah, all the extra stuff you see on it is greenstuff on a standard marine. Took about 3 days to do but I was chuffed with my first proper green-stuff excursion!
Back to top Go down
Lord Valestrane
Slave
Lord Valestrane

PostSubject: Re: WIP Salamanders army   WIP Salamanders army I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 16:09

Well it looks ace. I painted up 500 points of salamanders about 3 years ago.... they look truly awful! lol.

Nice work anyways!
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: WIP Salamanders army   WIP Salamanders army I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 16:27

Nice work. The Thunder Hammer glow works well, as does Vulkan.

I thought the 'traditional' Salamander green was darker than this, unless it's just the lighting, but obviously you can do whatever you like anyway.
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: WIP Salamanders army   WIP Salamanders army I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 16:32

Yeah I didn't like the dark green as much, wanted them to be much more vibrant and not just another dark angels force with flames. I experimented with the darker colours but just didn't think it stood out enough, scorpian green followed by biel-tan wash then sunburst yellow drybrush and highlights on the other hand made them a bit more striking!
Back to top Go down
Lord Valestrane
Slave
Lord Valestrane

PostSubject: Re: WIP Salamanders army   WIP Salamanders army I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 16:40

Too right. I found that exactly the same! my first three armies were all dark, Templars, dark angels even tyranids! I was hopeless! but nowadays I go for bright colours like yourself. They just look better.

My DE are basically a rip off of the Obsidian rose technique. not too mention different colours of the reavers, wyches, and up coming coven lot.

But yeah those salamanders are wicked. you going to do more object source lighting on them?
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: WIP Salamanders army   WIP Salamanders army I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 16:44

The devastators with Plasma cannons have some pretty contrasting source lightning- blue glow at the back. One of the upsides to doing a lava base is that I could do is some "off base lighting on all the models from below" which could look good but again the issue of lava arises again!
Back to top Go down
Lord Valestrane
Slave
Lord Valestrane

PostSubject: Re: WIP Salamanders army   WIP Salamanders army I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22 2013, 16:58

That would look good, Blue/ green, Mind you, you could dull down the lava effect, more a reddish/slight-bit-of-orange glow. The broken Cork board effect (buypainted tutorial) is immense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WIP Salamanders army   WIP Salamanders army I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WIP Salamanders army
Page 1 of 1