THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

WWP Thoughts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ligolski
Wych
ligolski

WWP Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: WWP Thoughts   WWP Thoughts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29 2013, 18:15

Hello all,

So I was thinking about the WWP and this may have been covered else where or is a "no sh** dude of course that's what you do" kind of idea, but I was thinking of how to use the wwp.

With the advent of 6th edition, we lost the ability to assault from reserves thus limiting the play-ability of them. However, I think there is a new potential that hasn't really been explored according to my limited knowledge.

The idea would be to deploy an aegis line or skyshield landing pad foward of your lines. Maybe close to midfield or where you'd like to have some objectives or whatever. The idea would be to rush to that position and drop a WWP in the cover of the aegis or potentially more interesting would be the skyshield pad since it gives you an invuln. From here you can bring units onto the battlefield in cover...protected! This obviously would work well for coven units especially the talos I feel.

You now have a forward base and potentially some serious board control depending on what units you decide to bring out of reserve. Perhaps a 20 man blob of warriors would be helpful for AI control. The best part is that you have some protection and its more assured than worrying about what terrain may or may not be available to you.

Does this have disadvantages, of course but it presents an interesting option for those wanting to use WWP for whatever reason.

Does anyone have ideas on how to make this better, would like to refute this or have other ideas on how to make WWPs powerful?

Cheers,
ligs

Back to top Go down
SleepyPillow
Kabalite Warrior
SleepyPillow

WWP Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: WWP Thoughts   WWP Thoughts I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 29 2013, 19:15

The whole design of the wwp is terribad, are our high archons and ancient homunculi really so bold that they carry the wwp of their own raid deep int the enemies heart? Seriously? WP Kelly.

I really like what they did with the apo splinter raid force wwp tho and I would love to see it in our next codex too.

/rantout

I see no reason to use the current wwp. Which units do you want to pull out of it? Nearly everything playable in this codex is faster without a wwp and the only two units which are slower without are the Talos and Chronos. Hell yeah, gaining 6'' of movement for the risk of not showing up turn two on two of the only units that I like putting on the board turn 1 due to their ability to take a hit.

Not to mention what happens with our bold masters that carried the wwp in the shooting phase. :<

Mush used it in his early batreps together with a ton of reavers but I think he rejected the possibility to turboboost everywhere he wanted due to the cost of f***** up HQ.

I gues all of this isn't helpful, but I fear that there's nothing else to say about it.
Back to top Go down
Timatron
Sybarite
Timatron

WWP Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: WWP Thoughts   WWP Thoughts I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31 2013, 01:45

Check out my post in the realspace raids section: Hexrifles for the win!, to see how badly wrong the massed splinter WWP tactic can go. Honestly, that was an hilarious game!
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

WWP Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: WWP Thoughts   WWP Thoughts I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02 2013, 14:52

Honesty, I just don't feel the WWP is worth it in 6th.

For a start, it's a costly investment - 1 WWP is risky (especially if you don't get first turn), and 2 will cost you 200pts minimum (including the haemonculi). And, sine those two haemonculi have to disembark to drop the portal, they're unlikely to see another day. If one of those is your warlord (since not every list can afford 250pts of HQs), then your opponent can get Slay the Warlord, and possibly even First Blood in his next turn.

Now, in 5th, it could lead to a potentially high-reward strategy. After all, once they were down, we could move Beastmasters, Grotesques, hellions, wyches and even Pain Engines through and charge in the same turn. Considering the fragility of most of those, this was a considerable advantage. And, if nothing else, we could at least make the centre of the board a death-trap for enemy units, as long as we still had reserves (which could help force your opponent from objectives etc.).

However, when you can't charge the turn you arrive, the portal seems a lot less threatening. Before, it was a death-trap for our opponents - now it's a death trap for our own units. Once they emerge, they now have to sit through whatever rapid-fire, large blasts and flamers our opponents have handy. And, in the likely event that our reserves arrive at different times, our opponent can simply focus on eliminating a few units at a time, taking our army apart piecemeal.

I know there's the possibility of using the portal for shooting, but it seems like we don't have enough durable, mid-range stuff for that to be viable.

If we do get a 6th edition codex, I'll be interested to see what happens to the WWP.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WWP Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: WWP Thoughts   WWP Thoughts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WWP Thoughts
Page 1 of 1