THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Help me fix my Baron conversion!

Go down 
+3
spellcheck2001
Saintspirit
Exort1
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Exort1
Hellion

Help me fix my Baron conversion! Empty
PostSubject: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05 2013, 19:57

Hello comrades, I recently converted a Baron Sathonyx model, the skyboard I used the back part of Raiders/Ravagers to make it bigger, but I'm not much of an expert at using green stuff.. Sad

Is there any way I can fix the mudiness of the green stuff (either by resculpting or painting)?
I apologize for the very bad quality of the pics.

Help me fix my Baron conversion! 5kqb

Help me fix my Baron conversion! Du6h
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05 2013, 20:41

Taking a little water on the fingers and the GS makes it considerably easier to work with - it have at least done so for me so far.

edit: Woot 900th post! affraid 

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05 2013, 21:06

Post drying i would suggest going over the surface with a sharp knife to bring it nearly down to surface level with the plastic then file/ sand until all is level. Liquid greenstuff over the top to hide the sanding marks and then give it a final sand with a very fine sandpaper. I

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Exort1
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05 2013, 22:01

spellcheck2001 wrote:
Post drying i would suggest going over the surface with a sharp knife to bring it nearly down to surface level with the plastic then file/ sand until all is level. Liquid greenstuff over the top to hide the sanding marks and then give it a final sand with a very fine sandpaper. I

Thank you for your response, I've tried thinning it as much as possible but I'm afraid if I thin it anymore the outside parts of the board (raider bits) will fall off.

I'm pretty new at converting and such, when you talk about "sanding" you mean using citadel sand with PVA glue? I've never used it like this. You would use it to cover the already dry green stuff?
Also, what does "file" mean and what's a "sandpaper"? Sorry, English is not my native language Sad

Thank you for your help Smile
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05 2013, 22:32

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandpaper

Sanding is the act of using sandpaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_%28tool%29

A file is another abrasion tool.

Back to top Go down
Exort1
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05 2013, 22:41

Thanks thor Razz
I suppose I only need to use one of the two (file or sandpaper)?
What tool would you recommend and what brand? Or grits in the sandpaper's case?
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 05 2013, 22:47

Files are good for flat surfaces while sandpaper is better for rounded or uneven surfaces. I'd indeed try to do both on your model since you have a lot more control with the sandpaper. Put it over your finger and rub the spot you want to sand gently .

I'd do the rough shape with a knife, but for smoothing the thing out do a 400 grain at least (depending on if you're measuring in cm or inches).
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06 2013, 14:01

Sand paper will sort it mostly I expect. In future, working with green stuff try Vaseline or similar. So long as its water based it will make the GS less prone to sticking to the sculpting tool and easier to work

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06 2013, 14:22

Massaen wrote:
Sand paper will sort it mostly I expect. In future, working with green stuff try Vaseline or similar. So long as its water based it will make the GS less prone to sticking to the sculpting tool and easier to work

Vaseline is petroleum based.  

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06 2013, 14:33

That's why it burns awesome.

But does it work with GS - in what way compared to water?

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06 2013, 14:38

Thor665 wrote:
That's why it burns awesome.

But does it work with GS - in what way compared to water?

I assume it's to stop the GS sticking to your sculpting tool. Maybe use KY instead...Razz 

Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 06 2013, 23:34

I use regular hand lotion to "unstickyfy" my tools. Has worked well so far, is definitely water based and as a side effect it keeps the skin on your thumb smooth Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07 2013, 06:44

Might be different here in Oz but mine is water based

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me fix my Baron conversion!   Help me fix my Baron conversion! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me fix my Baron conversion!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: