THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Skyshield Landing Pad

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Skyshield Landing Pad Empty
PostSubject: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 13:49

This is listed in the Fortifications section of the rulebook (page 115). This says:

Quote :
Units on top of a shielded Skyshield Landing Pad have a 4+ invulnerable save against enemy Shooting attacks
Under cover saves (page 18), fortifications are shown as giving a 3+ cover save. Assuming I have the model of the landing pad with the side panels 'up', like this:

Skyshield Landing Pad M210081a_99120199016_Skyshield_445x319

If I place a model on the pad and it is 25% or more hidden from a unit firing at it, can I choose to take a 3+ cover save instead of the 4+ invulnerable?

The answer to me seems to be a straightforward "yes" but I'm sure I will encounter arguments so just wanted to sound out some other opinions.

Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 14:08

I would have to say no.

Specific rules always over-ride general ones. Much like an Aegis defense line, which is also technically a fortification, only gives a 4+ cover save.

Personally I have found that there is almost no scenario when you'll get the 3+ save other than a "purpose built fortification" that you and your opponent agree counts as such.

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 14:18

I see what you're saying but the Skyshield rules make no mention of invalidating cover saves. They give you an invulnerable but why would that remove a cover save that, in any other situation, would apply?

Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 14:41

Oops! I hadn't looked at the words closely enough to see that it was a 4+ invulnerable save rather than a cover save.

You have given me pause for thought. I suspect you'll get arguements to say that it is effectively a battlement from a cover save persepective rather than a fortification cover save. But that said I do think you'd have a viable arguement to the contrary.

Very interesting. I am going to have to discuss that one with my gaming group as there is certainly merit to your position. We've been struggling to figure out when the 3+ cover save for fortifications in the book would apply, and this may be a valid example.
Back to top Go down
ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 15:18

that sir...is a really good question lol i have no clue

Archon Atersol of the Kabal of the Ebbing Sun
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 15:32

I suspect the 3+ fortification is actually a copy paste from 5e. I mainly want to know because a) 3+ is obviously better than 4+ unless you're up against Ignore Cover weapons and b) you can't got to ground with an invulnerable but you can with a cover (2+ cover save in this case).

ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 15:42

i guess id go with both until someone can prove otherwise

Archon Atersol of the Kabal of the Ebbing Sun
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 15:47

I've e-mailed the GW gamefaqs address so maybe they'll answer in the next FAQ.

Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14 2013, 14:36

personally I would say no, as the 3+ fortification rule is from 5th and what the model is. Its basically if you arent using one of GW pieces of terrain and need to give a piece of terrain a numerical cover save. Its like saying that the ADL is a fortification and gives you a 3+ coversave due to that rule.

Although I would say its GW's terrible writing at work, I dont think you get both.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skyshield Landing Pad
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA