THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12

Go down 
+7
GAR
Archon Levitas
Foo
Nomic
Vanq
speedfreek
Sith'ari
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Sith'ari
Hellion
Sith'ari

Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05 2011, 12:54

Hey!

So I've been working on my Dark Eldar since they were launched waaaay back in November and so far... well to be honest I havent got much done. Thats why I'm setting up this blog - to keep myself inspired and on target (and to hopefully pick up some tips along the way! :Cool )

I choose to theme my army on the Last Hatred (as featured in Decembers White Dwarf) primarily because their background was so damn creepy (even by Dark Eldar standards!) but also because their colour scheme was really striking.

So here's what I have done so far (apologies for the bad pics!):

a Talos
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 SS850578

a squad of Wyches
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 SS850553

a Raider
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 SS850552

and finally a squad of Warriors
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 SS850556

Currently I'm working on a Haemonculus and another Raider, which I hope to have finished by the end of the week.

So thanks for looking all and as always C & C is most appreciated! Cool

Cheers!

Last edited by Sith'ari on Fri May 25 2012, 16:59; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
speedfreek
Sybarite
speedfreek

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05 2011, 13:51

Really nice and clean edge lining on everything.
Perhaps it could benefit on an even sharper and lighter high-light as well.
Back to top Go down
Vanq
Hellion
Vanq

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05 2011, 23:06

Very nice scheme, love the shockwhite on the Talos helm Very Happy

Hellion
Sith'ari

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08 2011, 17:29

Thanks guys!

speedfreak wrote:
Really nice and clean edge lining on everything.
Perhaps it could benefit on an even sharper and lighter high-light as well.
Yeah I have been wondering lately whether the purple needs another step. I'll experiment on my Haemonculus when I get back from work and let you know how it turns out!

Vanq wrote:
Cheers! I find that the white really does stand out with such a dark scheme. I may have to use more 'blank helm' heads on my next unit of Wyches just so I can paint more of it! Very Happy

So I've almost finished my first Haemonculus, I just need to work on his fleshcoat and he's done! Cool

Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08 2011, 17:55

You should totally get some zombie models (and convert them with 40k bits) to use as Wracks. Cheaper than finecast ones and it would totally fit the theme (these are the Kabal that practices a form of necromancy and binds the souls of their captives to their bodies after their death, aren't they?).

Vanq
Hellion
Vanq

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08 2011, 23:58

Sith'ari wrote:

Vanq wrote:
Cheers! I find that the white really does stand out with such a dark scheme. I may have to use more 'blank helm' heads on my next unit of Wyches just so I can paint more of it! Very Happy

So I've almost finished my first Haemonculus, I just need to work on his fleshcoat and he's done! Cool

Looking forward to it...I like your white Talos helm so much I nicked it for mine, hope you don't mind Laughing

Hellion
Sith'ari

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11 2011, 18:18

Vanq wrote:
Looking forward to it...I like your white Talos helm so much I nicked it for mine, hope you don't mind Laughing
Hehe! No worries! After all thats the Dark Eldar way right! Laughing

Nomic wrote:
You should totally get some zombie models (and convert them with 40k bits) to use as Wracks. Cheaper than finecast ones and it would totally fit the theme (these are the Kabal that practices a form of necromancy and binds the souls of their captives to their bodies after their death, aren't they?).
You've read my mind Nomic! Laughing Although after thinking about it a bit more at work today, I'm actually not going to use the corpse's as Wracks. I'm going to attempt something a little bit bizarre, but it should hopefully work. Watch this space! Cool

Hellion
Sith'ari

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14 2011, 20:28

So my first Haemonculus is 99% done - I just need to get some more static grass and he'll be complete.

Once again please forgive the bad pictures (my camera is pretty old and needs replacing pretty sharpish!)

Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 SS850586

Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 SS850587

A couple of things to note. The highlights have virtually been wiped out by my bad photography, particularly on his face and hand. Secondly (and most annoyingly) one of his finger's have broken off - that's gonna be a pig to replace!

Next on my painting table is a small unit of Mandrakes which I hope to have done sometime next week.

Cheers!

Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14 2011, 20:49

I love the leather of his coat. Can you explain your technique there? What colours did you use?
Back to top Go down
Archon Levitas
Slave
Archon Levitas

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29 2011, 12:13

Reading this WIP blog (plog? thing??? whatever) was quite disturbing for me as we have chosen the same kabal, same units to paint first (wyches, kabalites, raider, talos), our Hekatrixs and sybarites look almost exactly the same (we both did those arm swaps) and our raiders look near identical. wow. Great minds think alike huh?

Blood Runs. Anger Rises. Death Wakes. War Calls!"

(Eldar Codex, Pg 21, last 2 lines)

Kabal of the Last Hatred: We will bear a grudge.
Back to top Go down
Sith'ari
Hellion
Sith'ari

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04 2011, 01:00

Wow sorry guys! I thought I'd replied to you a both a while back but it looks like I hadn't. My apologies.
Foo wrote:
I love the leather of his coat. Can you explain your technique there? What colours did you use?
Cheers! The coat was done by following UK White Dwarf's Mandrake tutorial. Essentially its Tallarn flesh, 50/50 Tallarn/Dark flesh and 50/50 Tallarn/Snakebite painted like a patchwork quilt over the coat. Then wash the recesses with watered down 50/50 Dark flesh/Liche purple. Then paint 50/50 Tallarn/Rotting flesh in 'streaks' down the coat (its best to have the paint quite thin here.) Finally do the same again with thinned rotting flesh.

I hope that makes sense. If not I'll try and find the article online somewhere for you. Smile

@Archon Levitas: Lol! Thats kind of spooky! It's almost like that film The 6th day... wait are you my clone?! Suspect Laughing

Anyhoo, it took a while but the Incubi are all done bar the bases - I need more snow dammit!

Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 SS850633-1

Now that I've done some fun stuff It's back to more warriors, which hopefully should only take a couple of weeks.

C&C most welcome!
Cheers!

Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08 2011, 16:13

The Haemi is very nice. its making re think my own, who coat was not going to be flesh, but a black fabiric.

The incubi are also very nice. Simple and very well executed. Those will look great when they get on the table and starting collecting tokens!

Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Sith'ari
Hellion
Sith'ari

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19 2011, 15:24

Thanks GAR! Here's hoping that when I finally play a game with my DE, the Incubi show the lesser races whose boss! Cool

Well work has gotten in the way this past week and I haven't been able to do as much painting as I liked, but I do have 5 warriors done bar the bases. When I get back tonight I'll post some pictures up.

However, my main reason for posting today is the new Ur-Ghul model - I really cant stand it. I absolutely love the rest of the court but he looks like a bloody Scooby Doo villain! Does anybody have any idea's for a suitable replacement?

It doesn't have to be a GW model as let's face it, they wont be out of the cabinet very often! Very Happy

Cheers!

Hellion
Sith'ari

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07 2011, 00:33

Ok It's update time! I've taken on some extra work lately so I haven't been able to do as much painting as I would like. However I have finished the second warrior squad and finally based the Incubi and Haemie:

Warrior Squad Two
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 SS850719-1

Incubi
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 SS850717-1

Haemonculus
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 SS850725-1

Next up, will be the second Raider which should be done by Sunday (if I can stick to a dealine for once! Laughing )

Cheers for looking and as always C&C is greatly appreciated!

Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07 2011, 17:38

Good to see the update!

I like what you have going here. Colors are nice and clean.

Only critique is the skin on the warriors seems very flat. I think its the camera and not real life, but from the images the skin looks like it could use some shading.

Minor quibble.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Sith'ari
Hellion
Sith'ari

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25 2012, 16:57

Wow! So long time, no update! I really need to get better at this plog malarky! Very Happy

So I've slowly been painting through my stuff in the eight(!) months since my last update and I've even managed to play my first game with them! Most of the following models are in varying stages of completion with the vast majority only needing some snow on the bases and apologies once again for the bad pics.

So first up is a Ravager. He's complete barring a design on the sail:
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 Ravager

Next, the second Wych squad:
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 Wyches

Here's my second Talos, inspired by a piece of Warmachine art:
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 Talos1

A better look at the actual Talos:
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 Talos2

Some Trueborn...
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 Trueborn

...and their obligatory Venom.
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 Venom

I cant help but feel that their is something missing from the Venom. Any thoughts on how I can jazz it up a little?

And finally some WIP Raiders. Most are done bar the crew and sail designs:
Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 Raiders

So all thats left now is another Venom, 2 Haemies and my Archon and thats 1850pts fully painted!

Cheers for looking and as always C&C most appreciated!

Craig

Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25 2012, 17:12

Re: what's missing from the venom, most schemes seem to go with some kind of runes or patterning on the main body of the vehicle. You've not done that on your raiders and I can understand why because I don't think they need it with the way you've highlighted them. The venom has larger areas of plain black though, and could perhaps benefit from something (not too much, I'd say keep it a more subtle shade of the purple you've used to highlight the edges)

All in all though I'm really impressed, it's a really well executed paint job with crisp highlighting and creative use of white, in fact your incubi have inspired me to paint the pectoral plates and helmets of mine white.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Sith'ari
Hellion
Sith'ari

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27 2012, 16:49

Cheers!

Thats a very good suggestion about the Venom! I'm thinking maybe, two jagged lines that start from the two tips on the nose, that intersect near the canopy. Possibly in a pale blue to tie it in with the rest of the army, since the hull itself is actually a very dark purple that doesnt really show up on camera.

What do you think? Too much maybe?

Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27 2012, 22:16

Two jagged lines could work, though be careful not to curve them if you're using a jagged theme. Don't be afraid to do something off-centre either, the model doesn't have to have a symmetrical paint job. What you could do is pick a rune for your kabalites, one for wyches and one for your coven etc. My Incubi venom is just going to have the one rune, curving around the canopy and down one side.

The blue would contrast nicely and tie the venom into the larger army theme you've got going, you'd just need to be careful not to overpower the more subtle paint job you've already got going with too much bright blue. If you're struggling for inspiration there's nothing to stop you copying the design off a raider prow you're not using.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Sith'ari
Hellion
Sith'ari

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08 2012, 18:15

Just a quick update whilst I'm supposed to be working. lol!

I played my second game with my Dark Eldar the other day and managed to scrape through another narrow win in what was a very close and enjoyable game! I'm starting to understand how the army works as a whole and I'm having a blast(er) whilst doing it - man the Dark Eldar are fun!

I've also managed to paint the second Venom and I've painted some markings on the first. I'll post up some pics later on tonight once I've snuck out of this place!

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09 2012, 04:32

Stuff looks great. I am loving the purple edging on everything, I have always had a thing for purple. Your stuff just looks menacing but in a bright in your face way.

Hats of for nicking the Nightmare pose for the Talos, well done.

Gub
Back to top Go down
Eldur
Sybarite
Eldur

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12 2012, 09:34

That little girl in the Talos base is going to die horribly. Or worse... to horribly not die.

Eldur project log for Dark Eldar and Eldar
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 12 2012, 10:30

Lovely work. I chose a simialr colour scheme for my own Kabal so it's nice to see how your models look.

Sith'ari
Hellion
Sith'ari

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14 2012, 13:00

Cheers for the comments guys!

@Gubnutz: Despite not really liking the model, the idea behind Nightmare is great, plus his artwork is badass! I just had to squeeze a little homage to it in my army somewhere! Laughing

@Eldur: Yep, things aren't looking too good for the kid. I am a massive optimist though so who knows!

@Count Adhemar: Cheers! Great minds think alike! Cool

The lights been pretty poor around here for the past few days, so I havent been able to take any snaps of the Venom's. I'm hoping I can grab some later today if the weather holds, so watch this space!

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12   Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Last Hatred *Big update 25/5/12
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: