THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers.

Go down 
+2
Dark_Kindred
SERAFF
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SERAFF
Sybarite
SERAFF

Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers. Empty
PostSubject: Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers.   Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14 2013, 20:22

Let's imagine a situation, when during your shooting phase you inflict a penetrating hit on an enemy flier with a "stunned" result.
The flier can not turn nor change speed next turn. What if I measure the distance the flier moved last turn and place one of my units on the place the flier should be next turn (it could be a Raider moving flat out)?
The airplane during its movement phase can not be placed here or anywhere esle, so it counts as destroyed.
Cunning isn't it?
Of course it's quite a rare but very possible situation. And if circumstances permit you can try the trick. So you exchange one lance shot for one of the annoying flying parasites. There is a risk to lose a raider, but with 4+ jink save it is minimal.

...or does the opponent have a way to avoid the airplane crash?
Back to top Go down
Dark_Kindred
Kabalite Warrior
Dark_Kindred

PostSubject: Re: Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers.   Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14 2013, 21:39

Sounds legit to me--the back of the BRB says that the Flyer can only move 18" and cannot turn. You might not even need to flat out and there is a pretty good chance of not dying (scatter, STR 6 hit, and Cover Save). Extremely situational and would be driven by the type of flyer (Heldrake) as well as the mission (Big Guns Never Tire, The Scouring).

Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers.   Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14 2013, 21:59

SERAFF wrote:
Let's imagine a situation, when during your shooting phase you inflict a penetrating hit on an enemy flier with a "stunned" result.
The flier can not turn nor change speed next turn. What if I measure the distance the flier moved last turn and place one of my units on the place the flier should be next turn (it could be a Raider moving flat out)?
The airplane during its movement phase can not be placed here or anywhere esle, so it counts as destroyed.
Cunning isn't it?
Of course it's quite a rare but very possible situation. And if circumstances permit you can try the trick. So you exchange one lance shot for one of the annoying flying parasites. There is a risk to lose a raider, but with 4+ jink save it is minimal.
Yes that does work. It happened in one of Vasara's games.

Dark_Kindred wrote:
Extremely situational and would be driven by the type of flyer (Heldrake) as well as the mission (Big Guns Never Tire, The Scouring).
Sadly helldrakes ignore stunned and shaken results on a 2+ I believe due to the daemonic possession rule. Necron flyers also ignore sunned results on a 4+ I believe because of living metal. Though I don't have either codex to hand, so I could be wrong. Vendetta come with extra armour so downgrade all stunnes to shaken results. So it's even more situational than that! Still fun though, and something to watch out for with your own flyers! Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
SERAFF
Sybarite
SERAFF

PostSubject: Re: Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers.   Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15 2013, 11:59

How about entering into hover mode (for marines who spare points for extra armor)? I didn't find a rule that clearly says: "you can not enter into hover mode, when you are stunned"

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers.   Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15 2013, 12:25

SERAFF wrote:
How about entering into hover mode (for marines who spare points for extra armor)? I didn't find a rule that clearly says: "you can not enter into hover mode, when you are stunned"
It's a bit ambiguous but the stunned damage result says you can only move 18", which would not be possibly if you enter hover mode. There's also a FAQ answer regarding locked velocity which says you cannot enter hover mode but this doesn't specifically refer to stunned results. Would be a bit iffy IMO.

doomseer11b
Sybarite
doomseer11b

PostSubject: Re: Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers.   Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16 2013, 00:42

This has happened to me twice now playing necrons. I had locked velocity and move 18" both times. Landed on top of his units both times. Extremely irritating.

Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers.   Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers. I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06 2013, 12:58

This ended up working out for me last weekend!

Managed to take out my opponent's stormraven by going flat out with a venom into the appropriate spot!

So glad I had read this tactic before hand to know to think about doing it. The only downside was I had expected his deathcult assassins inside to all die in a ball of firey goodness too, but a good chunk of them made their invulnerable saves (the rules say you don't get armour saves, but say nothing on invulnerable saves, so he still got those).

But awesome tactic none the less
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers.   Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nasty trick against stunned enemy Fliers.
Page 1 of 1