THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
shinkageryu
Slave

Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison Empty
PostSubject: Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison   Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28 2013, 00:10

So as a new raider and not familiar with the Kabals as I want to be I started to do some research and was watching some battle reports on Youtube I had an epiphany.

It boils down to a variation on Trueborn Venom Spam and I was wondering if this is legal or not because as the options in the army selection are vague I look at the 3 Trueborn unit with a Dracon and 2 Splinter Cannons for anti infantry duty with the Dracon taking one of the cannons to take advantage of Precision shooting.... yep with 6 shots at 36 inches you should be able to take out pesky Sergeants, Nobs, Brood Lords, Aspiring Champions or special weapons or ability troopers. Coming from the Space Wolves I know what this means (Mark of The Wulfen, Wolf Standard, Power Weapons and Plasma Flamer Melta weapons or picking off the wolf guard)

I know that this is a sneaky low down tactic but wait a moment we specialize in sneaky low down tactics.....
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison   Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28 2013, 01:00

Doesn't work. A Dracon's wargear is a splinter rifle and kabalite armor.
A Dracon has no ability to upgrade to a s.cannon.
You *could* take a Trueborn, give him an s.cannon, and then declare that this particular Trueborn is the one you are upgrading to a Dracon.

He would then become a Dracon with the default Dracon wargear and no s.cannon even though you had paid for it.

Notice how some options in the Trueborn unit listing on pg. 88 list 'any model' and some list 'Kabalite Trueborn' and some list 'Dracon'

These are all specific word choices and do effect which models can be changed.
At any time you change a model into a new unit type it loses all past wargear and becomes the new unit type with the new unit type's wargear.

That all said, I don't think you're suffering much. S.cannons are good due to weight of fire forcing armor saves - not for managing to score one hit on a given model.

Back to top Go down
shinkageryu
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison   Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28 2013, 01:29

Oh darn well I guess that it was worth the asking any who.  Still this is the set up I have been seriously eyeballing.  

3 Trueborn
2 Splinter Cannons
Dracon with Phantasm Grenade Launcher and Shardcarbine.

Venom with 2 Splinter Cannons and Night Shield

I was thinking about 2 of these bad boys for anti infantry purposes, with the 2 Units focusing on 1 target that is 48 shots at 36 inches depending on movement and other factors, this will be devastating to most things.
Back to top Go down
Shadowharte
Hellion
Shadowharte

PostSubject: Re: Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison   Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28 2013, 01:38

I run the 3 man splinterborne often, but I would never pay for a PGL or shardcarbine on that squad. I have never used the Dracon with them either. My reasoning for the lack of PGL and shardcarbine is you do not want the unit within 18in of anything let alone assault or be assaulted to make use of the PGL. The stealth effect given from the defensive grenades only comes into play at 8 in anyways. I use 2 of these squads and almost always will have at least one deployed into terrain outside of transport so they can make use of extra shots from sitting still.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison   Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28 2013, 02:48

Also, the new rules of 6th made the Shardcarbine kind of...suck.

Here's the breakdown - you are paying 5 points to get +1 shot and -6" range.
Whoo-hoo.
The only reason they are remotely worthwhile anymore is if you intend to assault.
Hint: Trueborn are not very good in assault.

I'll probably never pay for a shardcarbine again until the next edition is released, and then I'll reassess.

Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison   Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28 2013, 10:53

Nightshields on a vehicle with 4 cannons means you want to spend the whole game 35" away from your enemy. Dump the PGL, heck, dump the Dracon! 3rd Trueborn stares out the window, wondering why he was invited!
I use Lanceborn, the third man stands just in front of the two guys with guns, shouting "shoot me first!"
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison   Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28 2013, 14:27

I think the OP got the idea of the splinter cannon on the sargie from an Ork player. Basically the idea of this came from the Ork FAQ where it says an Ork Boy can exchange his choppa and slugga for a shoota, and then be upgraded into a Nob. Sadly this seems to be the only exception to the rule, but others have tried to stretch it to other armies as well. Here is a link to an old thread about the topic

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison   Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28 2013, 15:12

Yeah, that stretch never works though, because the Ork upgrades are worded differently.
As an easy example, go compare the differences between Wych and Warrior entries in our Codex. One Codex, two alternate wordings, thus making a rather large difference as far as which model can equip what wargear.

Back to top Go down
shinkageryu
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison   Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30 2013, 02:03

Speaking of the Devils Orks are a major player in my meta, along with both flavors of Marines. I just want to drown them in Armor Saves.

I intend to pick up a Ravager for Anti Armor and have a couple more units in raiders for last minute shenanigans.

Actually I got the idea after re-reading the 6th Rule-Book and seeing as how characters get Precision shooting & strikes. There are a lot of CC monsters out here in my meta and honestly I would rather spike them from the get go so that way I do not have to deal with them on their terms. I look at this army as the one where I really have to be on the offensive. I feel that I want to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible. I look at these small units as a means to the end.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison   Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions of Dracons, Splinter Cannons and filling your enemies with poison
Page 1 of 1