THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Inquisition detachment?

Go down 
+4
Bugs_N_Orks
ligolski
Deamon
DrakeHarkonnen
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DrakeHarkonnen
Hellion
DrakeHarkonnen

Inquisition detachment? Empty
PostSubject: Inquisition detachment?   Inquisition detachment? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20 2013, 04:25

With the release of the Inquisition codex and the introduction of the Inquisitorial detachment has anyone toyed with bringing a detachment?

I considered bringing just a Coteaz to sit behind some LoS terrain to help guarantee/secure the alpha strike, although also squeezing in a vect was really tempting. Hopefully winning first turn, deferring to my opponent and then having a rerollable 4+ to seize.

Aside from taking vect, it also gives us access to land raiders and Valks. Current brainstorming with a few of my buddies is leaning towards a psyker squad (enough for a s10 ap1 large blast) with a single acolyte for when they perils and Coteaz in a Chimera with heavy bolters and psybolt ammo. Roll divination on coteaz for prescience for rerolls on the template.

Though about making him the warlord because he will be more out of the way than Baron but was not sure.
Back to top Go down
Deamon
Sybarite
Deamon

PostSubject: Re: Inquisition detachment?   Inquisition detachment? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20 2013, 11:49

I didn't read the inqui codex but can an Inquisitor really be your warlord? HQ from normal ally detachment can't.
Back to top Go down
ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: Inquisition detachment?   Inquisition detachment? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20 2013, 13:20

Here are my thoughts that I posted in the blog:

So I've also have been looking at the new Inquisitor Dex and I like what I see. There are some really cool wargear options that can make an inquisitor pretty fun. I'm already thinking of trying to make a mini deathstar using an inquisitor, deamonhosts, and priests. Truly meant for close combat in what I'm thinking. However, the deamonhosts simply add the a better toughness to the unit and some neat abilities, all of which are nice in the right situations. The priests first ability to reroll all armor and invulns in CC is wonderful. I know everyone in their grandmother wants Coteaz but I like to do things my own way most of the time. I'm thinking Ordo Xenos to get a hold of rad grenades and psychotroke grenades to boost my CC and then use a power sword. My other thought is to use Ordo Malleus and use a deamonblade...because its hilarious thats why. Either way would be a lot of fun.

As an alternative loadout (but not deathstar) I could take Malleus and take a hellrifle and take a bunch of pychics...hide them behind and aegis or in cover and munch up stuff using 36" weapons that have the power to be quite devestating. If you went psychic and got lucky on your roll and got ignore cover in divination, you could reap terrible terrible havoc. This would actually be fun using Tiggy as well if you wished to buff the squad up to make it more durable. Furthermore, the Jakero guys can actually affect the psychic power since witchfire attacks are counted as assault weapons. You could potentially have a 48" super blast being shot out each turn. This does have some serious hitches though. The psykers' LD blows and you could easily lose the entire squad in one turn. But hey it could be worth it. 50 points worth of psykers is pretty cheap for such a powerful attack. Perhaps add in 1 more to get the AP1 if you want to go after tanks. Ultimately, you don't need an inquisitor to baby sit this unit if you don't want. I'd say spending 95 pts (6 psykers and 1 jakero) or 120 (6 psykers and 2 jakero) would be pretty fun to sit down range and blast stuff apart. Your inquisitor could join them or go for the CC route like I suggest above.

As a last thought I want to briefly discuss acolytes. They are pretty neat in the versatility in wargear they can take. Of course if you start loading them up they can get expensive, but there are some good choices here that you can make. You can make them 3++ tanks by taking storm shields on 3 of them. Or you can take special weapons on 3 of them. Furthermore, they all have access to some more basic weapons...which includes hot shot lasguns. You can essentially make storm troopers minus the special rules for pretty cheap. Heck you can even give them power armor if you want, though I'd only go to carapace to get around the large amount of AP5 out there. Add in a jakero or two if you want and now you have some decent AP3 fire power.

Inquisitors can be used with DE though are desperate allies I believe...I'd be hard pressed to add them because of this. But hey its possible!

Archon Atersol of the Kabal of the Ebbing Sun
Back to top Go down
Bugs_N_Orks
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Inquisition detachment?   Inquisition detachment? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20 2013, 18:30

Briefly read through the book and my impressions are:

The priests ability is obviously very powerful but is balanced a bit by their fairly high cost and their low Ld 7, meaning their powers only work 58% of the time.  I didn't catch if they were characters or not, but if they're not ICs they can be sniped relatively easily.

An interesting thing I noticed was that psy-shock looks like it got nerfed a bit.  The OSR psy-bomb now needs to cause an unsaved wound, not just a hit.  Which is a shame because that's one of the few things I was looking for out of this book (to deal with jetseer councils).

Another draw of taking a standard Inq over coteaz is the Liber "something", similar to a puretide chip but with different powers and you need to pass a Ld 10 check to use it.  It can give scout pregame, which combined with 2-3 jokeros, and 3 acolytes with flamers lets you put a lot of wounds on anything deployed too close if you've got 1st (and they might be rending wounds from the monkeys).

Something that might get overlooked but is actually really good is the ability to get servo skulls (also from a stock Inq.).  Being able to guard a big chunk of the board from enemy infiltrators and scout moves is huge against ravenwing/khan bike lists and khorne dogs (among other things).
Back to top Go down
Mayk0l
Hellion
Mayk0l

PostSubject: Re: Inquisition detachment?   Inquisition detachment? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22 2013, 10:15

Of course the Inquisition brings us units and options we didn't have before, but in what way do they synergize with what we already have? In what way will our army work better the way it's supposed to, when bringing Inquisitors?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Inquisition detachment?   Inquisition detachment? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22 2013, 12:06

Well it gives us access to a decent flyer and AV14 if we want.

DrakeHarkonnen
Hellion
DrakeHarkonnen

PostSubject: Re: Inquisition detachment?   Inquisition detachment? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23 2013, 05:37

It also gives us access to a s10 ap1 large blast
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Inquisition detachment?   Inquisition detachment? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23 2013, 20:12

And depending on how you intrepert the rules, some reserve manipulation. The Inqusitor's psychic communion power doesn't target any unit, you just cast it and receive +1 or -1 to reserve rolls, and I don't think it works only on the reserves form the inquisition army, so you can arque it affects all reserves in the army.
Servo skulls are also nice, for 3pts prevents infiltrating near them. Will also block our infiltrators, since non-battlebrother allies are treated as enemies, but not DE (except Mandrakes) unit infiltrates anyway.

Balisong
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Inquisition detachment?   Inquisition detachment? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 24 2013, 04:34

Psychic Communion is pretty sneaky, as you can use it mess with the opponent's Reserve rolls too...

Blessing last until the start of your next turn when they have to be recast.

So it's in effect during your opponent's turn as well.

The key being the ANY in "If successful, you can modify any Reserve roll result by +1 or -1 (choose after each dice roll is made)."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inquisition detachment?   Inquisition detachment? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inquisition detachment?
Page 1 of 1