THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

New Dark Eldar - only a year away?

Go down 
+28
Skulnbonz
Widowlander
Talos
Barking Agatha
DingK
Sky Serpent
Dirtydeeds
Cavash
KiriONE
GrenAcid
Expletive Deleted
Jehoel
Elzadar
Gobsmakked
Dogmar
Crazy_Ivan
Nappen
Bibitybopitybacon
The Red King
MurDok
Azdrubael
Evil Space Elves
Fidra
Count Adhemar
Thor665
Cavalier
Siticus the Ancient
Panic_Puppet
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Panic_Puppet
Wych

New Dark Eldar - only a year away? Empty
PostSubject: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21 2013, 10:14

Just stumbled across this over on BolS:
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/11/40kwfb-rumors-2014-schedule.html

Nutshell for those that don't want to/can't click the link:
Q1 Dwarves, IG
Q2 Wood Elves, Orks
Q3 WFB 9th, Brets, SW
Q4 Dark Eldar, ??

Came with the caveat that each quarter is less reliable than the one that precedes it, but it seems like a reasonable release schedule based on age/playability of respective books (if it was down to me, I'd flip Q1 and Q2 but that's just me). Food for thought!
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21 2013, 11:13

Rumours are rumours, but I do wish for our most favourite spiky elves to get an update. This might go hand in hand with the rumours of GW trying to get rid of Finecast until 2015 - Wracks, all the beasts and Incubi are quite popular.

Of course, that also means we should be seeing a second wave for Eldar, because they have finecast, well, everything!

Cavalier
Wych
Cavalier

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 21 2013, 13:35

Ooooh man. If this is true I'd be so stoked! The cool thing is model wise the DE are loaded with great current sculpts... my money is on some awesome new units. Also...I've been calling this for awhile but I'm calling Wyches getting their dodge save against overwatch. Calling it!

Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22 2013, 03:13

I will be over here with my head-sized grain of salt...

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22 2013, 07:55

If, and it is a big if, GW keeps up the current rate of 40k codexes then I'd expect a new DE codex before the end of next year. I suspect however that the next edition of WFB will slow things down so more like 18 months is my best guess.

Fidra
Hellion
Fidra

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22 2013, 12:20

I'm taking everything with a grain of salt till I can be sure Phil Kelly is working on the next book.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22 2013, 14:22

HUGE grain of salt for me as well. The current dex is 3 years old this month, it's a xenos army, and it still pretty well holds it's own....I just don't see it.

But I sure would love it Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23 2013, 03:51

Depends, a codex change is not always a good thing.
Heck, I'm still smarting from some of what we lost from the last dex shift.

Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23 2013, 05:43

Quote :

Depends, a codex change is not always a good thing.
Im totally with you. I see no problems in our codex that arent meta depended. Our codex is really solid piece of work, im not so sure next will really be on this level of quality.

I still remember awfull old 5th edition Chaos Space Marines and Tyranids.
Well, new CSM arent good as well, only so much Flaming Space Dragons around. DOnt even actually see marines themself.
Back to top Go down
MurDok
Kabalite Warrior
MurDok

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23 2013, 11:40

All I'm saying is a nice 3+ sv on our jet bikes would be nice.... I mean come on our jet bikes look identical to our kin.

Adeptus Mechanicus - Taghmata Omnissiah & Legio Cybernetica
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23 2013, 12:54

MurDok nailed it. My friends look at me funny when I tell them that unlike my eldar bikes, I have a 5+ save and can't capture objectives. I guess that's what they get for drilling holes all in their bikes, but then what is a reaver without scary bike flying noises lol

Hellion
Fidra

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23 2013, 14:47

Azdrubael wrote:
I still remember awfull old 5th edition Chaos Space Marines and Tyranids.
Well, new CSM arent good as well, only so much Flaming Space Dragons around. DOnt even actually see marines themself.
Imagine if they just decided to break the codex into three, have a seperate codex for covens, cults and kabals... In theory it almost sounds good, but in execution it's bound to be a terrible mess! As the age-old wisdom advises; if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(The forgefiend and hellkite are also completely abysmal concepts imho. I hope nothing of that ilk befalls our range of models.)

Back to top Go down
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25 2013, 07:11

If the new dex really is coming out in about a year it could explain where that voidraven we have been waiting for ended up. When they finally got it done they figured that the new dex was only a few years off so they may as well just wait and release it with the new dex to maximize sales.

They only need to change a few things to make it a competitive dex again (Str3 vehicle explosions, Wyches getting dodge in the assault phase and doing something to the mandrakes so they are passable.) Basically it can be done easy and fast.

The model range is the best one that they make. If they want to sell those beautiful models (and this is GW so of course they do) then it is only logical they release a dex that makes them competitive again.
Back to top Go down
Nappen
Kabalite Warrior
Nappen

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25 2013, 12:31

I am hoping for no new dex...all they can do is screw it up at this point.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25 2013, 12:50

If there will be codex we will get Eldar tratment at best. Some units will be nerfed, 1 or 2 will be over the top. Mandrakes will be even worse. Thats a design vision of infiltrate worth.

We will probably have some situationall to worthless warlord traits, like Combat Drugs for Kabalites.

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26 2013, 03:56

I will say, Mandrakes have gotten progressively worse thus far, why buck a trend? Wink

It's an interesting thought about units getting 'nerfed' because that would mean some of our units are 'overpowered' or, at least, considered overpowered right now. I'm curious what that could be.

Beast Packs?
Venoms?

That's literally about the sum total of the list I can think of for 'overpowered' units in the DE dex.
Maybe at a squint and a stretch you could toss in Trueborn too.
I'd love to see Wyches be the next 'broken' unit though.

Back to top Go down
Crazy_Ivan
Wych
Crazy_Ivan

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26 2013, 07:47

Webway portals need fixing, if they make them play like they do in apocalypse I would be a happy bunny!
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26 2013, 21:22

I think it's very easy to come up with a list of things that are not strong in the Dex - Mandrakes, WWPs, Scourges, The Court (oh dear gawd, The Court), Lelith, Draz, Decapitator, the Cronos, Shredders, most of the missiles, the electrocorossive whip, mindphase gauntlets, Wych Weapons, Retrofire Jets, Chain Snares, Envenomed Blades, no shooting upgrades possible on Sarges of shooting units (Kabalites/Trueborn/Scourges/ect), no assault upgrades for Sarges of assault units (Mandrakes/Wracks/ect) the list is pretty extensive and easy.

I'm more interested in what is considered perhaps OP for the DE.

Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26 2013, 22:02

I honestly can't think of anything besides the venom being labeled overpowered. And that said I don't consider our Venom as that overpowered since it's insanely fragile and for that matter expensive enough. It also has no means of being used against vehicles, so for basically 12 bolter shots at 36" I'd say it's fair... sure Tyranids cry against us, but that has always been the case and to fix that they'd have to take away poison entirely from basic units.

As for the beast pack, it's certainly a powerful unit when combined with the Baron and a Farseer, but it's stuch a huge investment I'd hardly call it broken. with the right kind of shooting dedicated to it it's relatively easily dealt with.

Honestly, I can't think of anything extremely overpowered in the dex. We do have the opportunity to "spam" things, but we're far from Wave Serpent level here, we do more target saturation. Thus we naturally have to have more similar units on the field. This is also a disadvantage at Killpoints.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26 2013, 23:52

Dogmar wrote:
Honestly, I can't think of anything extremely overpowered in the dex. We do have the opportunity to "spam" things, but we're far from Wave Serpent level here, we do more target saturation.
^ this, and given what has arrived with recent army updates, I wouldn't call anything in ours overpowered. I wouldn't have in the past, and certainly not now.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Elzadar
Sybarite
Elzadar

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 27 2013, 23:40

I think the venom losing its flickerfield would be fair though. And we can certainly use an upgrade for our vehicles that denies the enemy's overwatch like in the Chaos book.

Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 28 2013, 08:41

With the way DE  close combat works now, that isnt that big nesecity.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 28 2013, 09:05

Azdrubael wrote:
With the way DE  close combat works now, that isnt that big nesecity.
Not sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate? Something like a Dirge Caster would be a HUGE benefit to a unit like Wyches who are so vulnerable outside of combat.

Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 28 2013, 10:00

Units that are extremely vulnerable overwatch (wyches) right now cant take on fearless or atsknf big units head on. They are not effective as a killing power in 6th ruleset and works good only with shooting support. And overwatch from small size unit isnt scary and well mitigated by fact that we can now shoot before assault.

This upgrade will be a waste either way.

Thats a big topic about assault itself, I want to start a new a thread where I can explain in details what I mean.
Without Fearless wounds from 5th there is little point in taking wyches in a killer configuration ( haemy, heka, agoniser ) that was popular before.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 28 2013, 10:20

Azdrubael wrote:
Units that are extremely vulnerable overwatch (wyches) right now cant take on fearless or atsknf big units head on. They are not effective as a killing power in 6th ruleset and works good only with shooting support. And overwatch from small size unit isnt scary and well mitigated by fact that we can now shoot before assault.

This upgrade will be a waste either way.
I can see what you're saying but that really comes down to the fact that we can't benefit from most of the weird combos that many other armies use due to our extremely limited ally selection and general lack of USRs, which is another issue altogether. I still think that a means of bypassing overwatch would result in more DE assault options being used in games, which can only be a good thing.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar - only a year away?   New Dark Eldar - only a year away? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Dark Eldar - only a year away?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next