THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

High majority toughness and instant death

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SERAFF
Sybarite
SERAFF

High majority toughness and instant death Empty
PostSubject: High majority toughness and instant death   High majority toughness and instant death I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 28 2013, 09:35

In my last game I faced with a situation, which is not clearly described in the rulebook.
My Haemunculus ran in a squad of grots, so his toughness was 5 because of majority. Then the squad was shot by a lascannon and the Haemy was the closest model. He took a wound but my opponent argued that the model should be insta-killed, because its own toughness is 4.

Is that really so, that we use majority toughness just for a to wound roll and the instant death rule works as normal? And where could I find the written confirmation of this?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: High majority toughness and instant death   High majority toughness and instant death I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 28 2013, 09:41

Majority Toughness is used to determine the value needed To Wound as you are firing at a unit rather than individual models within that unit. It does not change the Instant Death threshold for a model, which is always based on that model's own Toughness. This is not specifically written out in the rules but the Majority Toughness section applies only to the To Wound roll. After that you move onto wound allocation, saving throws, instant death etc.

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: High majority toughness and instant death   High majority toughness and instant death I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 28 2013, 15:35

I second the Count.

Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: High majority toughness and instant death   High majority toughness and instant death I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 28 2013, 17:24

It's how I'd play it as well. Try thinking of the distinction as the unit takes the hits, but the model takes the saves.

Wych
Creeping Darkness

PostSubject: Re: High majority toughness and instant death   High majority toughness and instant death I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 29 2013, 00:52

Agree with the Count.

Think of it the other way round; if a Haemonculus has joined a squad of Kabalites or Wyches he is rolling with majority Toughness of 3. If instant death applied on the majority, he'd be removed by a single S6 wound.

So while it would be a hilarious way to get rid of high toughness characters and Eldar Guardian weapons platforms, common sense prevails and a model's own toughness is used for instant death purposes.

Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
SERAFF
Sybarite
SERAFF

PostSubject: Re: High majority toughness and instant death   High majority toughness and instant death I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 29 2013, 07:49

Thanks for the replies guys! There are many examples when there is no logic in the Warhammer rules, but here is an irrational exception from this trend.

PostSubject: Re: High majority toughness and instant death   High majority toughness and instant death I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High majority toughness and instant death
Page 1 of 1