THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Tempted by Tyranids

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ollelta
Kabalite Warrior
Ollelta

Tempted by Tyranids Empty
PostSubject: Tempted by Tyranids   Tempted by Tyranids I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 19 2013, 23:22

Well, I'm edging towards a nid army with the apparent upcoming update (and surprised there hasn't been more discussion about it, or did I miss a thread?). Bought myself a Hive guard to test out a colour scheme on, which seems to be vaguely working. Was wondering if any veteran nid players (or skaven posing as) had any general hopes for the new release, what you think needs fixing or updating, and what might constitute a solid starting point for a collection? All speculation is appreciated!

Apologies for the terrible lighting in the pic, the carapace is stagadon green with a wash of skaveblight, but the colour balance on my lap-top is all over the place.

Tempted by Tyranids 20131219_230532
Back to top Go down
helvexis
Sybarite
helvexis

PostSubject: Re: Tempted by Tyranids   Tempted by Tyranids I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 19 2013, 23:50

i really like how it looks

as for nid tacticas igh lots of changes for me to play them
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: Tempted by Tyranids   Tempted by Tyranids I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20 2013, 00:58

My Skavenids have taken a sabbatical whilst my sexy pirate girls DE proxy army develops, so my advice isn't top tier:
I am not enjoying competitive play at the moment, and there is only one competitive theme for Tyranids at the moment: multiple Tervigons, with minimal Termagants to unlock them, and 1-2 Dakkaflyrants for anti-air. This is a competitive list, but I find the prospect of 30 list gaunts and average 66 spawned to be tiresome to play with or against!
Even the units that were golden or highly rated in 5th or early 6th such as Hive guard, Ymgarls, Zoeys and the Heavy MCs have been so thoroughly nerfed by Tau shooting, Eldar tricks, and ally/data/D-weapons as to be for fun lists only.

My advice: unless GW drop the ball even worse than they did with the last 'Nid codex, the new Tyranids will have all sorts of new tricks, mechanic breakers and units, so any advice until then is moot! There will always be Termagants and Genestealers, as they are iconic; the Trygon/Mawloc and Terv/Tyrann kits are new and good sellers. If you buy those now, you won't have wasted your money come the new 'dex.

The best advice I can give is to join http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/
An excellent, friendly, well moderated forum, high standards similar to this one. See you there!
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Tempted by Tyranids   Tempted by Tyranids I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20 2013, 01:28

Ollelta wrote:
Well, I'm edging towards a nid army with the apparent upcoming update (and surprised there hasn't been more discussion about it, or did I miss a thread?). Bought myself a Hive guard to test out a colour scheme on, which seems to be vaguely working. Was wondering if any veteran nid players (or skaven posing as) had any general hopes for the new release, what you think needs fixing or updating, and what might constitute a solid starting point for a collection? All speculation is appreciated!

Apologies for the terrible lighting in the pic, the carapace is stagadon green with a wash of skaveblight, but the colour balance on my lap-top is all over the place.

Nice to see some new 'Nids, always a fun army to model and play. Lighting aside in your pic, I think your colour scheme looks good, and you have some very nice highlighting and effects going on, so I would say good job all around.

As for discussion, I think that there is more than enough going on elsewhere that people here are content to wait until the actual new 'dex drops. Most of what is being said elsewhere is blind speculation, wishlisting or guesswork based on scraps of leaked pictures. Nobody knows what they are talking about, that's the only certainty so far.

There are many things that could be done with the existing codex. Some simple tweaking here and there and some standardisation would go a long way towards creating a unique and balanced army similar to DE. However, with the changes we have seen with recent codexes, Tau and Eldar especially, and the neglect that has been shown to 'Nids over the past 3 years, I think that there will be some very significant changes and new toys come our way and as CommanderSasha said, any talk of what needs fixing is moot.

Some units that never received models are supposedly gone altogether, as well.

I would also highly recommend Warpshadow as another forum to check out, http://www.warpshadow.com/ . It's a smaller community, but very friendly and also extremely well-maintained.

Cheers.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Ollelta
Kabalite Warrior
Ollelta

PostSubject: Re: Tempted by Tyranids   Tempted by Tyranids I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20 2013, 09:38

Cheers for the replies guys, all sounds pretty encouraging. I'm more of a modeller than a gamer really, though I'm getting more into playing recently, but the models are always the first attraction and the tyranids have some stunners. Thanks for the comments on the paint job, all encouragement is appreciated.

commandersasha wrote:
multiple Tervigons, with minimal Termagants to unlock them, and 1-2 Dakkaflyrants for anti-air. This is a competitive list, but I find the prospect of 30 list gaunts and average 66 spawned to be tiresome to play with or against!

I had heared that this was the case a while back, and it didn't appeal to me either. Was pretty much what was holding me back from taking the plunge into collecting any army. Will certainly be an interesting read when the dex drops.

Gobsmakked wrote:
As for discussion, I think that there is more than enough going on elsewhere that people here are content to wait

Yeah, all of that escalation stuff has kinda passed me by. I'm quite happy to potter about at 1000 points frankly, so d weapons and titans don't really come into it..

I'll check out the suggested forums later when I'm not at work,
Cheers

*Update* Here's the finished model:

Tempted by Tyranids HiveGuardF_zps6ca81e03

Tempted by Tyranids HiveGuardR_zps9a97f10f
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tempted by Tyranids   Tempted by Tyranids I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tempted by Tyranids
Page 1 of 1