THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
brother-kormak
Slave
brother-kormak

Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. Empty
PostSubject: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14 2014, 02:51

Greetings all..

I am starting back into the hobby and have picked a great time to creep back in. One of the local gaming shops have decided to run a 40k campaign. It is a small force start and it is supposed to build up to 2000 pts by the end.

As such my fellows, I am looking for a small list ,500 ish points, I am and old player and I get caught up in the fluff, so if my choices look odd or non competitive that would be why. Hence, I come here to seek the advice of the more cutthroat and competitive of you ! Please lend me a hand or scalpel to trim this into a better list..

As it stands, I am going for a Wych Cult, without further ado !

Succubus- agonizer, blast pistol, haywire grens

Hekatrix w/ 8 wyches- haywire, agonizer, blast pistol,

Raider - night shields, flikerfields, splinter racks

Overall i am 21 points over the 500 limit..

Comments, suggestions, thoughts ??
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

PostSubject: Re: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14 2014, 03:04

I don't see how you're 21 points over the 500 point limit.

You also might check this thread I started the other day: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t8488-advice-on-starting-a-cult

I only count 330 points in your list, but there are still some things you'll probably wanna ditch. Blast Pistols aren't that useful unfortunately, and you already have haywire grenades, which tend to be more effective anyway.

Also splinter racks, while they work with pistols, only work while you're on the boat. And if you're in range to fire your pistols, you should be charging.

Have fun with it though!

Slave
brother-kormak

PostSubject: Re: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15 2014, 02:36

Thanks for the linkage man !

I will follow that with interest !
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15 2014, 05:55

brother-kormak wrote:
Comments, suggestions, thoughts ??
Well, as noted, you're not at 500 points (my count had you at 336)

Also, you don't have a legal force org there - as you are obligated to take 2 Troop selections, and here you only have one. So...I'd advocate you to spend those excess points taking more Troops. And clearly it's not a typo as if I double your Troop selection it's 567, so I don't know where you're getting your 521 from.

But, let's look this over;

brother-kormak wrote:
Succubus- agonizer, blast pistol, haywire grens
This is okay, though at 500 points the blast pistol is a bit of a luxury item. I'd probably drop it, and stick to using the HWGs if your wyches need to put a hurting on some mech. Also, frankly, nowadays the power lance or the venom blade are probably the overall better selection for Wyches over the Aggie. Don't get me wrong, I love the Aggie, but it's not what it once was and 500 points is tight enough that 'good enough' is pretty solid if it saves you 15 points.

brother-kormak wrote:
Hekatrix w/ 8 wyches- haywire, agonizer, blast pistol,
Blast pistol, indulgence, second verse same as the first.

Also, with Wyches being your prime thing, I'd probably consider investing in a PGL for the Hekatrix - it will really adjust the amount of damage you take from overwatch. It's probably not a 'must have' but it's a consideration.

brother-kormak wrote:
Raider - night shields, flikerfields, splinter racks
Splinter racks on a boat with Wyches... pale  Let's not do that, please? That's a very expensive upgrade that, if you ever use it, it means you are deciding *not* to assault with your Wyches. And if there's something your Wyches shouldn't assault then you've functionally lost the game already. Wyches can't play a shooting role, don't try to obligate them too.

I also, frankly, think you should only take one of the defensive upgrades just to save on points. The Raider is your only long range anti-tank, yes, but you just can't justify tossing 30 points of upgrades into something that is still just a 10/10/10 open topped vehicle - it's not wise.

If you drop the blast pistols and 2 of the 3 Raider upgrades you have enough spare points to duplicate your Wych unit and add an extra wych to one and still have some extra points, and that's without trying to save points by swapping Aggies for v.blades. Just spitballing out the ideas here, but certainly a pair of wych laden raiders is much better for you overall.

Back to top Go down
brother-kormak
Slave
brother-kormak

PostSubject: Re: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15 2014, 13:03

Alrighty, i will go back and re write things. I will pay much closer attention to you fellow Archons.
Back to top Go down
brother-kormak
Slave
brother-kormak

PostSubject: Re: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15 2014, 15:11

Wych list

500 pt

Succubus
-venom blade
-haywires

Wyches
-9 wyches
--- haywires
-Hekatrix
--phantasm
--venom blade
----Raider
----dark lance
---- night shield
----flickerfield

Wyches
-9 wyches
--- haywires
-Hekatrix
--phantasm
--venom blade
----Raider
----dark lance
---- night shield
----flickerfield

What do ya think ??
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

PostSubject: Re: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16 2014, 16:13

It's a solid start, and you can tweak it to fit your own style with venoms and smaller dquads later. I mimic Thor though. You'd literally be better off dropping off one defensive upgrade from each boat, and probably adding a wych to one squad and another upgrade elsewhere.

Slave
brother-kormak

PostSubject: Re: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16 2014, 17:49

Okay, will do.. Should i juggle points for another Succubus ? Have one in each squad ?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16 2014, 18:14

Why would you want to do that?

Back to top Go down
brother-kormak
Slave
brother-kormak

PostSubject: Re: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16 2014, 19:23

Didnt say i wanted too, was just curious if adding another venom blade would be worth it.

Sorry to sound like an idiot, i appreciate the help and patience..
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16 2014, 19:42

I would say adding a Succubus for some extra venom blades is probably unoptimal since you would need to take away that many points in Wyches, and I bet the Wyches, overall, would cause more damage against most targets.

I don't think you sound like an idiot at all, I was just curious as to the thought process. I like to try to teach the mindset of listbuilding rather than simply building a list.

Back to top Go down
brother-kormak
Slave
brother-kormak

PostSubject: Re: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16 2014, 23:52

I will sit down tonite and re write the list..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..   Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting again, 500-ish point list for a growing campaign..
Page 1 of 1