THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Why are there spirit stones?

Go down 
+4
Khain mor
Cavash
Thor665
40kScribe
8 posters
AuthorMessage
40kScribe
Hellion
40kScribe

Why are there spirit stones? Empty
PostSubject: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28 2014, 04:32

I've noticed that the Dark Eldar models have spirit stones. I like the design and appreciate the opportunity to paint the gems -- but according to the fluff I've read and listen to people speak about, they don't use them!

So why are they on the models? It seems like a paradox to me (still looks nice though).

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28 2014, 05:17

The only spirit stone like things that occur to me are the ones on some of the vehicles - and I always presumed those were a power source design or something.

I can't think of anything that has close to the number or setup of spirit stones Eldar have though. Which model(s) are you referencing?

Back to top Go down
40kScribe
Hellion
40kScribe

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28 2014, 06:15

I think you'd right: they seem to be only on the vehicles. I purchased some Venoms and a Ravager, and there are gems on them

Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28 2014, 16:04

The stones on DE I never really thought were Spirit Stones. I always thought that they'd house their suit's technical systems, like what Craftworlders have, or have activation runes that, when touched, release a lot of stimms into the wearer's veins.

Why are there spirit stones? YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Khain mor
Sybarite
Khain mor

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01 2014, 01:59

they're just gems, think about all other gems on non eldar models. Cavash got the right idea, just partof the armor, weapons, part of the control systems of the raider/ravager.

As you know dark eldar don't use spirit stones, in fact the only true spirit stones that dark eldar carry are broken ones, on the incubi, as decorations. As you may or may not know, the final incubi ritual involves killing an aspect warrior and breaking his gemstone.

You don't even have to paint the lumps on the vehicles like gems, they're just part of the system, of the tech.

The Biggest Kabal ever, be sure to check it out if you haven't, old and new units.
The Biggest Dark Eldar Apocalypse force you'll find on the net.

My Eldar Facebook Page, feel free to join. All Eldar factions allowed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01 2014, 11:16

Ravagers do not have gems AFAIK. Dont have them with me, but I dont recall them... Venoms do, because they are originally a Harlequin vehicle of Eldar design and actually use spirit stones IMHO. As for RWF, seriously dont know... I paint them as a "Darklight Energy Node".
Back to top Go down
Khain mor
Sybarite
Khain mor

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06 2014, 06:13

aurynn wrote:
Venoms do, because they are originally a Harlequin vehicle of Eldar design and actually use spirit stones IMHO. As for RWF, seriously dont know... I paint them as a "Darklight Energy Node".

No there are 3 types of venoms actually, dark eldar, made from "normal" metal,etc... and then you have the harlequin one and the corsair one. 3 types all with different weapon options, the last 2 are wraithconstructs.

The dark eldar venoms has different type of exhaust and engines, it's also a bit bigger than the harlequin & corsair venom who are based on the vyper design

The Biggest Kabal ever, be sure to check it out if you haven't, old and new units.
The Biggest Dark Eldar Apocalypse force you'll find on the net.

My Eldar Facebook Page, feel free to join. All Eldar factions allowed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06 2014, 11:28

I stand corrected. Thanks! This actually answers my question about DE using metals! Is it confirmed somewhere in the fluff? I mean the fact that our Venoms are Metal?

And if they are bigger, why cant they carry 6 passengers...  Sad 
Back to top Go down
Fidra
Hellion
Fidra

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06 2014, 14:47

aurynn wrote:
I stand corrected. Thanks! This actually answers my question about DE using metals! Is it confirmed somewhere in the fluff? I mean the fact that our Venoms are Metal?

And if they are bigger, why cant they carry 6 passengers...  Sad 

I'm almost certain I read something about handfuls of asteroid belts near Commorragh that are used for mining alloys needed for various industries, pretty sure it was Path of the Renegade. It's probably a rather alien metal that's been engineered in bizarre ways (ghostplate, for instance, is merely plated armour with pocketed gas and a miniature forcefield).

Incidentally I hadn't thought of the energy-gem-node idea but I like it tremendously.
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06 2014, 14:59

Fidra wrote:
Incidentally I hadn't thought of the energy-gem-node idea but I like it tremendously.

Oooor... a shield (FlickerField) emmiter. Because it is strange to have hull-mounted energy nodes... OMG... How nerdy that sounds... ROFL
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06 2014, 15:42

aurynn wrote:
Because it is strange to have hull-mounted energy nodes...

Because dark eldar are known for the ability to build logical and resilient structures Razz
Back to top Go down
40kScribe
Hellion
40kScribe

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06 2014, 15:51

I wonder if they couldn't be used to capture souls to torture, feed off of and perhaps even feed Slaanesh? I remember the designers talking on YouTube about how the souls of the Dark Eldar are like buckets of what with a hole at the bottom, needing to be refilled constantly as they're consumed by.. Slaanesh? Can't remember exactly

Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06 2014, 16:00

I wouldn't say that they have to be metal, but could be whatever material the manufacturer can get their hands on.

If every Archon is different and every Kabal has its own quirks then why assume that they all have equipment made from the same materials?
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 09 2014, 12:36

Venoms have round thingies on their wings that are shaped the same as the round thingies on CWE vehicles, but those aren't necessarily spirt stones. Sometimes you see them painted like gems, while other times they're the same colour as the hull, even in different parts of the same model. If I recall correctly, when not painted as gems they're supposed to be blisters containing sensors and such. If painted as gems on DE vehicles they could just be decorations, or perhaps the emitters for the flickerfield.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are there spirit stones?   Why are there spirit stones? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why are there spirit stones?
Page 1 of 1