THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?

Go down 
+4
Timatron
Azdrubael
Thor665
iscratchmyasssometimes
8 posters
AuthorMessage
iscratchmyasssometimes
Slave

How to beat Riptide spam and taudar? Empty
PostSubject: How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?   How to beat Riptide spam and taudar? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16 2014, 00:58

Alright, let me start off by stating that I'm extremely new. I have extremely limited knowledge of WH40k.

My friend (the only person I have played against so far) plays ultra competitive Tau riptide spam lists and Taudar (tons of jetbikes + jetseer and wraithknights).

Lately it has just been whoever goes first wins (so much dakka that whoever goes second has like 3 units to use). I have not been using reserves - should I be? And if so, how much? I'm wondering how I beat his lists. What do I put into reserves and what kind of army should I be building or aiming for to compete with his list? I'm open to allying with just about anyone and I can get whatever models you say I need.

The models I currently have are as follows:
5 Venoms
2 Raiders
3 Ravagers
2 Ravenwing Jetfighters
40 Warriors
40 Wyches
4 Haemonculi
1 Archon

^^ That's it. Like I said, I'm open to just about anything. Also, if I'm in the wrong forum can someone please point me in the right direction? If you suggest something, can you please briefly explain the tactica behind them? Thanks guys, I'm hoping you can make this young Archon a better general.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?   How to beat Riptide spam and taudar? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16 2014, 06:37

Sounds like you're perfectly good at beating his lists if you go first. So the problem is when you go second you eat Tau shooting and die. Sounds like you need to analyze what you can do to minimize the impact of his 1st turn of shooting more than worry about anything else, yeah?

Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?   How to beat Riptide spam and taudar? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16 2014, 07:11

How much terrain you are using ? How many los blocking terrain pieces ?

Your problem goes down to deployment, and deployment goes down to terrain.
Back to top Go down
Timatron
Sybarite
Timatron

PostSubject: Re: How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?   How to beat Riptide spam and taudar? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16 2014, 20:38

Can't see how you're getting the alpha strike put on you so hard, do you use Nightshields?
Back to top Go down
sephiroth081184
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?   How to beat Riptide spam and taudar? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17 2014, 01:06

If your games are won by whoever goes first, you maximize your odds of going first, get baron and Vect. Heck why not ally in Coteaz;)

Back to top Go down
iscratchmyasssometimes
Slave

PostSubject: Re: How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?   How to beat Riptide spam and taudar? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17 2014, 01:35

Azdrubael wrote:
How much terrain you are using ? How many los blocking terrain pieces ?

Your problem goes down to deployment, and deployment goes down to terrain.

Well this week we didn't use any LOS blocking terrain. The terrain was all trees and hills. The Tau player set up the terrain prior to my arrival and I just agreed to it. I guess I should be more particular about setting up my battleground.

@Timatron - Yes, I have NS on everything I take. Upon looking at it more closely, I deployed too close to him. He deployed in a gunline and I do the same. After watching some batreps I see that I shouldn't be doing that.

@seph - Thanks for the suggestions, looks like it's back to the drawing boards for some more tweaks! Maybe even some beast packs to divert fire from the fire powa?
Back to top Go down
Dark_Kindred
Kabalite Warrior
Dark_Kindred

PostSubject: Re: How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?   How to beat Riptide spam and taudar? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2014, 05:12

iscratchmyasssometimes wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like it's back to the drawing boards for some more tweaks!  Maybe even some beast packs to divert fire from the fire powa?

Or an Imperial Bastion to give LoS blockering terrain and 3+ cover saves?
*End Sales Pitch*

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?   How to beat Riptide spam and taudar? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2014, 05:13

A bit off topic and im just asking out of curiosity as its not really any of my business, but are you both bringing competitive lists to each friendly game where the initial random dice more or less determines the outcome of the game? Is that fun?

Im new to the game aswell and havent played against such a tau list before but i would reckon any assault units would get ripped to shreds in any overwatch because of the Supporting Fire rule. I can just imagine msu armies with lots of poison dakka working best.
Back to top Go down
Braden Campbell
Kabalite Warrior
Braden Campbell

PostSubject: Re: How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?   How to beat Riptide spam and taudar? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2014, 13:28

I was surprised this week to learn that the riptide is in fact a "monsterous creature" , rather than a "vehicle". Therefore, it can be poisoned to death by a mobile splinter units such as Venoms... Or even Deepstriking Scourges!

Live and learn...
Back to top Go down
Rancid blade
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?   How to beat Riptide spam and taudar? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 19 2014, 18:29

Here's what I've done to beat Riptides and Eldar...

Riptides: take 6-7 venoms and blast 'em. It'll take a few turns, but they end up dropping like a squad of terminators...Force them to roll enough saves and they'll go down. Make sure you use night shields and keep the venoms 36" to keep out of the majority of tau gun range. Dropping in scourges will not work.

Eldar (aka Wave Serpents): Take a massive beast pack and spread out. Don't give them anywhere to hide. With a large enough beast pack you can assault the wave serpents and pop them. The Baron will pop one a turn on his own, so a multi charge should work. Also, take three ravagers, all three should be able to pop a wave serpent a turn...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?   How to beat Riptide spam and taudar? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to beat Riptide spam and taudar?
Page 1 of 1