THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.

Go down 
+8
Squidmaster
Count Adhemar
Panic_Puppet
deep-sea-captain
Skizzik_NZ
Martinman
Dogmar
Dethdispenser
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Dethdispenser
Kabalite Warrior
Dethdispenser

Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. Empty
PostSubject: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeMon May 05 2014, 21:53

This is an exert from the new White Dwarf:

Link deleted

Keyword is Unbound Armies - I am afraid of
Battle-Forged armies - Better get some awesome bonuses
New Allie Matrix
Psycher phase = Fantasy Magic Phase - exactly

What do you guys think?

If the image gets pulled from Imgur let me know: The White Dwarf is being released this week.

Please do not post extracts of GW material as it violates their IP. Cheers - Cavash
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeMon May 05 2014, 22:07

Ouch, just ouch. So we'll be having fantasy-lite, what a joy [/sarcasm]

On a more serious note, the psychic phase will stop the confusion about when to use which psychic power and also people constantly forgetting psychic stuff, so it might not be that bad of an idea.

New Ally matrix could fix things depending on the look of it. I suspect they'll cut away a bit of the battle brothers, for there are many cheesy combinations.

Battle-forged vs. Unbound armies, one can only guess what that means, but "throwing FOC out the window" usually means bad, bad spam. The very bad kind! We might get to benefit from that though, since we can field many cheap units if we want to.
Back to top Go down
Dethdispenser
Kabalite Warrior
Dethdispenser

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeMon May 05 2014, 22:13

I listened to a pod cast and one of the casters was speaking of this.
Forging the narrative time: A small semi-defenseless Tau settlement has a Ork Waagh of thousand orks about to attack them. They suit up what they can to defend the settlement. The Unbound 9 Riptides stood side by side and blasted the Ork Waagh to hell.

On a serious note: Battle-forged better get a massive leg up, over this garbage.
Back to top Go down
Martinman
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeTue May 06 2014, 02:40

I feel like for us, unbounded = Trueborn, Ravager, and Voidraven Spam.
Back to top Go down
Skizzik_NZ
Slave
Skizzik_NZ

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeTue May 06 2014, 06:28

Full reaver mob with jetplanes, why the hell not?
Back to top Go down
http://www.pwnem.com
deep-sea-captain
Hellion
deep-sea-captain

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeTue May 06 2014, 08:02

I like the inclusion of unbound, it adds so much flexibility to narrative gaming (though, we just kind of did what ever we wanted anyway, so...). For pickup games and competetive play, I can't see it ending well, but I also don't think it'll be the standard way of playing in those contexts, they'll just say use the force org. So simple, no need to freak out about anything.
It will also make it a lot easier for new players to get into the game, they can play with what they own and have painted rather than not being able to play at all (more than likely they played with what they had anyway, but now they don't need to feel bad about it or pressure to do otherwise).

I'm iffy about the Psychic phase. I like them being used in context, like shooting your psychic powers in the shooting phase etc. But then again, it could be nice, I'm alright to give it a try and then see if I like it or not.

I like what I've heard about missions. And allies, eh, that doesn't make much of a difference to me anyway so I don't care too much (again with the doing what we wanted to do anyway).
Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeTue May 06 2014, 10:05

Honestly? On the surface this looks horrible. It's a blatant cash-grab, and nothing more, hurrah for moneyhammer. Pick up games will be tricky as you'll run into the guy that gleefully decides it's fun to turn up and plonk down his 3 riptides and a reaver.

Yes, it makes for more options for narrative gameplay and yes, escalation lets you use big things outside of apocalypse, but here's the rub.. you could always do that anyway by discussing it with your opponent and/or arranging games ahead of time. Anyone who wanted to arrange fun/unusual/narrative games already could; all that including them in the core rules accomplishes is to allow people to smugly turn up for club nights with their rulebook-legal army consisting of nothing but a revenant on a skyshield pad, a farseer with fortune, and a farsight bomb.

The new psychic discipline sounds like the biggest cash grab since Scrooge McDuck tripped and fell into his money pit... here's a new lore that can let you summon daemons! Better go out and buy some daemons so you have models to summon! Made pretty obvious by the fact that all psykers can do this one.

Positives - I like the idea of random mission cards, more mission options are always fun. Though I can see objectives that change every turn (as one rumour suggests) potentially becoming frustrating.

Psychic phase streamlines everything nicely as there's so much frustration about remembering blessings/maledictions, the ever-confusing interaction with reserve rolls which the FAQ never cleared up as they're both 'start of turn' actions, and some of the others which have specific timing restrictions. If it's all at once, I wonder if that means you'll be able to cast psychic shooting attacks at one thing, and then be allowed to shoot a different thing in the shooting phase a la fantasy - that makes damage powers a bit more useful and offers them competition against blessings.

Allies matrix - fine with it, just think it needs a few tweaks to remove abusive BB shenanigans rather than a comprehensive overhaul.

I'm interested to see what it's like, and think there's some decent potential, but if the game just devolves into 'put as many models as possible from who cares where onto the table and roll dice at each other' then I won't be a happy man.

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeTue May 06 2014, 10:21

Moved to Warhammer 40,000 Discussion as not specifically DE related - Count Adhemar

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeTue May 06 2014, 11:06

Personally, I quite like some of this.

I'll hold off until I see what the bonuses for using Warbound armies are, but I quite like the idea of Unbound. Ok, it'll mean Riptide/Wraithnight armies, BUT it could also mean Reaver armies! INCUBI armies! Armies that nothing but TALOSES!
Better yet, an army that nothing but a Dual Blaster Pistol Wielding Archon with four Blasterborn in Venom. And just loads of that unit EVERYWHERE.
Ok, there are flaws with many of the above (many flaws), but at the same time I think it gives me hope. Hell, I could simply field the Dark Reaper Temple! It creates an opportunity for variation, and I think might also create a chance to get through some of the harsher "competitive" armies. Everyone has SOMETHING a bit harsh and interesting, and it could lead to more tailoring of lists which I would find interesting.

The Psychic Phase - we have no Psykers. So that's a touch irrelevant then. More powers open to everyone except Nids. And Tau. And Dark Eldar. Whoop?

Tactical Cards things. I like! More variation in missions is a good idea, and indepedent objectives that can change battle for battle I think is very good because it actually adds not only a new dimension, but a new way to win! It could be the break of the annoying gun-line (of course it might not, depending on what the objectives are). I'm optimistic.

Finally - fully compatible with current army books. Good. Very good. it means the changes won;t be as drastic as expected.

I meet this news with my +5 Mace of Optimism, but carefully prepare for the +1 Shield of Regret and Disappointment.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeTue May 06 2014, 22:13

Ok I changed my mind about playing DE, I am just going to run 20 helldrakes, or 20 Storm Ravens, Or 20 flying crescent rolls. Cya guys.

Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2014, 00:15

Its_Rumble wrote:
Ok I changed my mind about playing DE, I am just going to run 20 helldrakes, or 20 Storm Ravens, Or 20 flying crescent rolls. Cya guys.

But we're better looking!

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2014, 02:36

2000 point game

19 ravagers

that is all.

*edit- I think this is the stupidest idea I ever heard... "unbound" armies.
 Rolling Eyes 

ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitimeWed May 07 2014, 04:54

Panic_Puppet wrote:
Honestly? On the surface this looks horrible. It's a blatant cash-grab, and nothing more, hurrah for moneyhammer. Pick up games will be tricky as you'll run into the guy that gleefully decides it's fun to turn up and plonk down his 3 riptides and a reaver.

Yes, it makes for more options for narrative gameplay and yes, escalation lets you use big things outside of apocalypse, but here's the rub.. you could always do that anyway by discussing it with your opponent and/or arranging games ahead of time. Anyone who wanted to arrange fun/unusual/narrative games already could; all that including them in the core rules accomplishes is to allow people to smugly turn up for club nights with their rulebook-legal army consisting of nothing but a revenant on a skyshield pad, a farseer with fortune, and a farsight bomb.

The new psychic discipline sounds like the biggest cash grab since Scrooge McDuck tripped and fell into his money pit... here's a new lore that can let you summon daemons! Better go out and buy some daemons so you have models to summon! Made pretty obvious by the fact that all psykers can do this one.

Positives - I like the idea of random mission cards, more mission options are always fun. Though I can see objectives that change every turn (as one rumour suggests) potentially becoming frustrating.

Psychic phase streamlines everything nicely as there's so much frustration about remembering blessings/maledictions, the ever-confusing interaction with reserve rolls which the FAQ never cleared up as they're both 'start of turn' actions, and some of the others which have specific timing restrictions. If it's all at once, I wonder if that means you'll be able to cast psychic shooting attacks at one thing, and then be allowed to shoot a different thing in the shooting phase a la fantasy - that makes damage powers a bit more useful and offers them competition against blessings.

Allies matrix - fine with it, just think it needs a few tweaks to remove abusive BB shenanigans rather than a comprehensive overhaul.

I'm interested to see what it's like, and think there's some decent potential, but if the game just devolves into 'put as many models as possible from who cares where onto the table and roll dice at each other' then I won't be a happy man.

I agree with you Panic for the most part. Though I'm waiting to hold full judgement on the unbound stuff until I see what the benefits are of running battle forge...I hope is EXTREMELY substantial! Mission cards sound like a ton of fun and creates a game that requires tactical flexibility. Psychic phase sounds awesome to me, and I'm curious about the demonology stuff. Based on White Drawf there sounds like there could be major drawbacks if you use deamonology and you aren't...well a deamon!

Archon Atersol of the Kabal of the Ebbing Sun
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.   Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark City Citizens - GW Forging the Narrative AGAIN.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DISCUSSION

:: Warhammer 40,000 Discussion
-
Jump to: