THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!

Go down 
+27
lelith
ligolski
PainReaver
Poziom
Silverglade
Taffy10
Brom
DingK
MyNameDidntFit
Cavash
Creeping Darkness
Skari
Panic_Puppet
Azdrubael
Skulnbonz
Bibitybopitybacon
1++
Laughingcarp
Barking Agatha
Dogmar
Axel115
Devilogical
Zenotaph
Siticus the Ancient
Deamon
Count Adhemar
Mushkilla
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! Empty
PostSubject: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 13:14

So one of the 7th edition changes that really jumped out at me (when i was browsing the new rule book), was the change to jink, and how it's a real boon to our vehicles.

You now declare whether a vehicle is jinking in the enemy shooting phase, before to hit dice are rolled, it grants you 4+ cover, and means your vehicle can only fire snapshots next turn.

Meaning even if we go second we can now benefit from 4+ cover without depending on terrain (combined with night fight for 2-3+). The optional nature of jink also means if we get shot at by cover ignoring weapons, we can just opt to not jink (meaning on the off chance the vehicle survives it won't have to snapfire).

With the new vehicle damage chart and our transports only explode on a 6 (rather than 5-6). All in all making our vehicles a little bit more survivable.

Unfortunately the passengers still take S4 hits when vehicles explode.

So far things are not looking too bad for us in 7th. Thoughts? Very Happy

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 13:28

There's an ongoing thread here where we're discussing the impact of 7e.

Deamon
Sybarite
Deamon

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 13:30

The only downside for me really is that Flickerfield is now almost mandatory... but in a world of Tau and Eldar it already was (for me) so the new jinx just gives me more option and may help my incubi/Grotestques/Wyches transport to survive when I turboboost them all in my opponents face.
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 13:49

I can see the new Jink certainly benefiting those scenarios where you go second, but intended to do nothing but flat out in enemy's face in the first turn anyway. Otherwise, I guess it gives more value back to Flickerfield again, which I always took anyway - in my opinion, it's far better to phase out of reality for that one shot rather than just move a bit faster and hope the enemy has a bad aim.

Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 14:23

Mushkilla wrote:
You now declare whether a vehicle is jinking in the enemy shooting phase, before to hit dice are rolled, it grants you 4+ cover, and means your vehicle can only fire snapshots next turn.

Are jetbikes included? Or is it just a vehicle rule?

Sybarite
Devilogical

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 14:41

Zenotaph wrote:
Mushkilla wrote:

Are jetbikes included? Or is it just a vehicle rule?

Yeah. Jetbikes are here too.

Succubus Ariel the Vengefull of the Wych cult Blade Denied to her sister, archon Elieae after the conquering Low Commoragh Dark spire.
Back to top Go down
Axel115
Hellion
Axel115

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 15:02

Do we know if the Flat Out cover save is a Jink save?
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 15:36

There is no flat-out coversave any more, just jink, regardless of movement speed. See the other thread for more info.
Back to top Go down
Barking Agatha
Wych
Barking Agatha

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 17:00

Mushkilla wrote:
Meaning even if we go second we can now benefit from 4+ cover without depending on terrain (combined with night fight for 2-3+).

Night fighting only gives Stealth now, so it will only ever be 3+.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 17:06

Barking Agatha wrote:
Mushkilla wrote:
Meaning even if we go second we can now benefit from 4+ cover without depending on terrain (combined with night fight for 2-3+).

Night fighting only gives Stealth now, so it will only ever be 3+.

Good catch. Still I feel 4+ jink on turn 1 will help our assault troops.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Barking Agatha
Wych
Barking Agatha

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 18:42

Mushkilla wrote:
Good catch. Still I feel 4+ jink on turn 1 will help our assault troops.

Are you kidding? There's a very good chance now that wyches can ride on a raider and not necessarily die. Even if the raider gets shot down, most of the time they can just get off. They're still in a lot of trouble, but as a step forward it's great!
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 19:22

Barking Agatha wrote:
Are you kidding? There's a very good chance now that wyches can ride on a raider and not necessarily die. Even if the raider gets shot down, most of the time they can just get off. They're still in a lot of trouble, but as a step forward it's great!

Yeah overall I think the vehicle changes give us a much better chance of getting to the enemy in one piece. Sure we might only be able to snap shot, but that's not the end of the world for a lot our assault troops. Still assault doesn't pull any punches, and didn't get any easier.

Another interesting thing is that units that have gone to ground can't fire overwatch. Where are our terrorfexes?

EDIT: definitely a buff to coven units as it's a lot harder for them to lose their mobility turn 1.

Back to top Go down
Laughingcarp
Wych
Laughingcarp

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 22:25

So for vehicles it's technically better than going flat-out for us in 6th, as we get to snap-shot on top of the 4+ save.

But for jetbikes, I'm curious how you feel about it Mush?
I see it as potentially a non-issue, even though it feels like a nerf. We'll have to wait and see what skilled-rider gives.
But if you're moving your 36" turbo-boost to do a bladevane, odds are (hopefully) decent you can end up out of LoS or at least out of range of most of the scary. So Jink will be less of a "need". But if you're hoping to get in and use those blasters/heat lances next turn, then suddenly you're a lot more exposed, and FORCED to choose between defensive action now or hoping to survive for offensive action later.

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeFri May 23 2014, 22:58

Laughingcarp wrote:
But for jetbikes, I'm curious how you feel about it Mush?
I see it as potentially a non-issue, even though it feels like a nerf. We'll have to wait and see what skilled-rider gives.

Skilled rider gives you +1 to jink and ignore dangerous terrain. So reavers have 3+ jink.

Laughingcarp wrote:
But if you're moving your 36" turbo-boost to do a bladevane, odds are (hopefully) decent you can end up out of LoS or at least out of range of most of the scary. So Jink will be less of a "need". But if you're hoping to get in and use those blasters/heat lances next turn, then suddenly you're a lot more exposed, and FORCED to choose between defensive action now or hoping to survive for offensive action later.

Yeah I would go as far as saying I wouldn't bother with heatlances/blasters. Your main damage will be from bladevaning and assault. Are reavers worse than before? No not really. Going after vehicles was always the riskiest thing to do with reavers as often it could leave you exposed. Vehicles also got tougher, and reavers relied on getting pens to kill. In that regard the change to jink is a real edge, being able to start on the table, go second and be able to benefit from a 3+ cover save (2+ with night fight) is massive both tactically and strategically. Being able to get a 3+ against overwatch (if you can use jink against overwatch), or on a turn where you finish combat on your turn is also great.

Then there's one of the more interesting buffs, is reavers can score, and deny (although they can't deny objects from troops). Making them now one of our most mobile and durable scoring units. Their mobility and survivability is going to make them fantastic in the new missions (which are all about being mobile).

In short i'll be saving 45 points by not buying blasters. I'll still run 9 with a champion, and probably experiment with grav talons/caltrops.

Another huge boost to reavers, is that battle brothers now benefit from reserve manipulation of allies, so autarchs are going to be awesome for manipulating reserves (they will also add punch to the reavers in assault).

Yeah things are looking awesome. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeSat May 24 2014, 01:18

So no bonus to moving Flat Out but can still snap fire isn't too bad, just means my gunboat warriors will now be swapped for Wracks and Grotesques as I still want to do max damage on T2. All comes down to list building and practice now.

I do like the part about going to ground cannot overwatch. Another advantage if a T2 assault raid and maybe our pinning weapons becomes a little more useful.....Mandrakes anyone. Also TGL w/ Aethers on our Raiders could be useful too

Sybarite
Deamon

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeSat May 24 2014, 01:47

I'm going to experiment with Webway portal. With the no more than 50% in reserve rule gone, the WWP may be the tool we need to get some of our AT in range to deal with those mechanical gunlines.
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeSat May 24 2014, 02:12

Any word if assault from reserve is allowed?

Wych
Laughingcarp

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeSat May 24 2014, 03:02

There is word, 1++, and that word is No =(
But again take that with a grain of salt, release day isn't quite upon us yet.

And Mush, fair enough.
Though are you certain Skilled Rider isn't going to change?

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeSat May 24 2014, 03:05

I really want to put d-scythe Wraith Guard into a raider and turbo boost it into someone's deployment zone just to see the look on their face...  the jink rule and new damage chart made the raider better but templates hitting all embarked units hurts big time..

EDIT: Someone told me if you turbo boost you get +1 to your jink save.. any idea if this is true?
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeSat May 24 2014, 03:18

last edition. Not true this one.

Devilogical
Sybarite
Devilogical

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeSat May 24 2014, 07:13

Bibitybopitybacon wrote:
I really want to put d-scythe Wraith Guard into a raider and turbo boost it into someone's deployment zone just to see the look on their face...  the jink rule and new damage chart made the raider better but templates hitting all embarked units hurts big time..

EDIT: Someone told me if you turbo boost you get +1 to your jink save.. any idea if this is true?

Sounds not bad, but u have to rely on a flickrefield then. Cuz if u jink - passangers will snap shot too

Succubus Ariel the Vengefull of the Wych cult Blade Denied to her sister, archon Elieae after the conquering Low Commoragh Dark spire.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeSat May 24 2014, 07:18

You might wanna consider Grisly Trophies on a Raiders now, more wrecks and new rules will force lot more ld checks.

Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeSat May 24 2014, 21:19

I think there's an issue here which actually makes me think that 7th ed. Jink is terrible. It means that people can threaten us out of action, as a splinter-raider/ravager has to jink even before it gets hit.

As an example: IG heavy weapons team moves up to get a firing lane, and snap-fires with 3 lascannons at a splinter-raider. Only a small chance they hit, but if they do and we declare not to jink, chances are the raider is going down in a fireball. If it's a risk we cannot afford to take, we jink, and the gunboat is effectively useless for a turn.

It's more useful on -empty- transports, which can still score. But I can see it being used against skimmer armies quite heavily.

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeSun May 25 2014, 00:11

Buy flickerfields.

Skari
Wych
Skari

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitimeSun May 25 2014, 03:19

I am a huge fan of jink. I think its a great way to keep the vehicles alive longer to score later in the game. MSU is back in force and we've got what it takes. Reavers will be great at soaking up hits on a turn 1 night fight, use them as bait. Raiders not getting alpha striked as easily, or even better being able to get a save is siezed on... Or even against D weapons that don't roll a 6.

Youtube Channel
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!   7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

7th edition Jink rule and why it's awesome!
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: