THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

WraithGuards in Raiders?

Go down 
+16
Vael Galizur
Dat_Other_Guy
Hijallo
aurynn
urden93
Skari
FishDeadDaemon
lelith
Silverglade
Gherma
orestes85
Count Adhemar
Bibitybopitybacon
ligolski
Mr Believer
LoneKabalite
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LoneKabalite
Slave
LoneKabalite

WraithGuards in Raiders? Empty
PostSubject: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeMon May 26 2014, 11:17

With the new edition i've been playing with the idea of putting wraithguards with d-scythes in raiders (as allies now can travel in each others transport and u can fire any template weapon anywhere from a open topped vehicle).

This would make a truly nasty surprise and even if the raider goes Boom! the wraithguards can take the hit and are just happy to be half-way across the battlefield.

Are there any problems with this tactic that i have overlooked?
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeMon May 26 2014, 16:45

Aside from having to start outside the vehicle, no, there are no real problems with this. Your opponent will do everything they can to stop you though, so expect drop pods and the like coming down to go straight for this unit if they have first turn.

Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeMon May 26 2014, 17:36

I think D-scythe WG in a raider is waste, put them in a wave serpent. HOWEVER, I think Axe-Shield WG would be great in a raider as this allows you to assault out of them!

Archon Atersol of the Kabal of the Ebbing Sun
Back to top Go down
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeMon May 26 2014, 18:27

ligolski wrote:
I think D-scythe WG in a raider is waste, put them in a wave serpent. HOWEVER, I think Axe-Shield WG would be great in a raider as this allows you to assault out of them!
Yep! Elder now have an assault transport! Banshees everywhere cry out in joy as opposed to agonized death rattles of the last few editions.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeMon May 26 2014, 18:54

Bibitybopitybacon wrote:
ligolski wrote:
Yep! Elder now have an assault transport! Banshees everywhere cry out in joy as opposed to agonized death rattles of the last few editions.

Banshees sadly still suffer from the same frailty that we do and you don't see Wyches getting into combat from Raiders that easily!

orestes85
Hellion
orestes85

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeMon May 26 2014, 19:01

I'm looking forward to Wraithblades assaulting out of Raiders. I wish I could have my Archon with them, then it would be unstoppable.

I've just got to figure out what unit takes the dedicated transport and then ends up having to footslog. I don't like running Warriors outside of raiders/venoms because they get ripped up by everything. Maybe I'll do 3 wracks and a hexrifle and hide them in cover?

Back to top Go down
Gherma
Kabalite Warrior
Gherma

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27 2014, 20:52

I've never used wraithguard or wraithblades but I'm very interested in the new combination wraith+raider. What's the best weaponry we can give to wraith units riding a raider in your opinion? Cannons, Flamers or Axes?

Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeSat May 31 2014, 16:50

orestes85 wrote:
I'm looking forward to Wraithblades assaulting out of Raiders.  I wish I could have my Archon with them, then it would be unstoppable.  

I've just got to figure out what unit takes the dedicated transport and then ends up having to footslog.  I don't like running Warriors outside of raiders/venoms because they get ripped up by everything.  Maybe I'll do 3 wracks and a hexrifle and hide them in cover?

that's easy.

Buy the wave serpent for the wraithguard, and then switch. I.e. your wyches/kabalites go in the waveserpent.
Back to top Go down
lelith
Sybarite
lelith

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2014, 03:57

Interesting. I'm also considering this tactics these days: A Raider with five Wraithguards (remember its transport capacity is 10, in contrast to 12 of Wave Serpent, so we cannot bring HQ here).

I'm gonna use the unit in the similar way to use my Wracks in 6th Ed:
(i) Raider approaching an enemy as close as possible
(ii) disembarking and surrounding (called 'hak-ik-jin' or the crane wing formation in my country)
(iii) flame shower with D-Scythe/Liquifier Gun
(iv) and charge

Would you give me suggestions please?
Other better options? Wraithcannon, or Ghostaxe and Forceshield?
Back to top Go down
FishDeadDaemon
Slave
FishDeadDaemon

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12 2014, 13:14

lelith wrote:
Interesting. I'm also considering this tactics these days: A Raider with five Wraithguards (remember its transport capacity is 10, in contrast to 12 of Wave Serpent, so we cannot bring HQ here).

(ii) disembarking and surrounding (called 'hak-ik-jin' or the crane wing formation in my country)
(iv) and charge

Or you could;

-(i) Tank shock the unit you intend to flame, getting them closer together
-(ii) Don't bother disembarking, just flame them from the raider edge of your choice, multiply that by 5, and you're done.
Back to top Go down
lelith
Sybarite
lelith

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12 2014, 16:33

FishDeadDaemon wrote:
lelith wrote:

(iv) and charge

Or you could;

-(i) Tank shock the unit you intend to flame, getting them closer together
-(ii) Don't bother disembarking, just flame them from the raider edge of your choice, multiply that by 5, and you're done.

That seems cleverer. Thanks!

Skari
Wych
Skari

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 13 2014, 00:57

I think a unit of banshies with an attached phantasm archon for grenades will be very welcome for them. The 4+ armour will be great!

Youtube Channel
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
FishDeadDaemon
Slave
FishDeadDaemon

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 13 2014, 01:27

The thing I found with my limited experience is that ultimately you're -trying- to bait them into assaulting the raider or the unit to make them risk your D3 per Wraithguard flamer hit. In my opinion, leaving a half-intact unit in CC range of your raider is dangerous bait for them. If they continue to shoot it, they risk you getting away with either no hits due to jinking, or at the worst a wounded unit of wraithguard on the ground in wreckage with overwatch. If they charge the raider they're getting 5-15 hits with no armor save and then only at best sinking the ship. If they do nothing, you can move on and continue to harass units with a sudo-'torrent' flamer.

However, I'd still upgrade the raider. Shadow + Flickers and maybe aetherer sails are a must.
Back to top Go down
urden93
Kabalite Warrior
urden93

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28 2014, 22:43

wraiths in raiders are hard :/ 5 of them takes up all the spot no spiritseer no archon no autarch to screw around, maybe in a tantalus, but nonetheless wraithblades hit like hell if they survive the shooting Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28 2014, 23:15

Nightshields for assault raider? Waste of pts IMHO. You WANT him to be close. FF - a necessity. :-)
Back to top Go down
urden93
Kabalite Warrior
urden93

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29 2014, 10:41

yeah plain 60 point raider max 5 point for snares or aethersails and lets swoop ahead Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29 2014, 10:47

Dont forget the ShockProw so you can tankshock units from cover if the INI is worth it. But that may not be the case for WB or D-Scythe WG. Not sure on the ini and equip of WB.
Back to top Go down
Hijallo
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 30 2014, 18:54

I don't think that Wraithblades without a friendly Spiritseer to provide them buffs are worth it. May be SS can ride in a nearby vehicle, get out and cast his 12" bubble of joy...

Cannons would be better with Wave Serpent and Seer or two attached. They provide re-rolls (Which isn't even a psychic power), and one can dedicate himself to Telepathy, possible getting Shroud/Invisibility, while another one gets 2 rolls and primaris power of Battle.

For the loadout, i'd definitely pick the axes for Inv save and ap2. They can take the hits.
Back to top Go down
urden93
Kabalite Warrior
urden93

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31 2014, 10:19

Tantalus Very Happy a darn expansive wraithtransport 16 slot so it carries like 6-7 and plenty ICs like Archons and Spiritseers to wreck faces
Back to top Go down
Hijallo
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05 2014, 13:04

It's a Forgeworld model, which are banned in most tournaments. And if FW is allowed, your best bet would be Pulse Laser Hornets (but i'm not saying that Tantalii cannot complement Hornets).

If we get those in our new codex, this trick might be actually quite useful.
Back to top Go down
Dat_Other_Guy
Hellion
Dat_Other_Guy

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20 2014, 02:15

Skari wrote:
I think a unit of banshies with an attached phantasm archon for grenades will be very welcome for them. The 4+ armour will be great!

Yup especially when your opponent will be going dead last and taking those huskblade and ap3 fun stuff. Although it could be expensive, id just bring a tantalus with blasterborn and shoot everything to hell. Especially 3 5-man squads with blasters that'd just obliterate anything in its path
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25 2014, 04:17

Can't you just take an empty Raider as a fast attack choice and then have the Wraithblades jump in it, so you don't have to worry about footslogging Kabalites or Wyches or having to put them in a Wave Serpent? Wouldn't Kabalites and Wyches be wasted in a Wave Serpent since it's not open topped and they can't shoot or assault out of it? I know you can have empty Venoms as fast attack choices, and you could have Spiritseers hop in one of them to follow the Wraithblade Raider and maybe a Wave Serpent with Wraithguard or two.

(The User Formerly Known as Drago)
> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
http://vynettedantes.deviantart.com/
ShadowcatX
Hellion
ShadowcatX

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25 2014, 13:10

Yes, you can, but if you'll notice the dates on these posts they predate our new codex.

Kabalite Warrior
Vael Galizur

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25 2014, 21:35

Ah, I saw that, but I thought we could take empty vehicles prior to the new codex.

(The User Formerly Known as Drago)
> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
http://vynettedantes.deviantart.com/
ShadowcatX
Hellion
ShadowcatX

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25 2014, 22:31

Nope, that's only allowed in codexes post space wolves (as far as I know).

PostSubject: Re: WraithGuards in Raiders?   WraithGuards in Raiders? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WraithGuards in Raiders?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next