THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Orbital Strike with Corsairs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Starkadder
Kabalite Warrior
Starkadder

Orbital Strike with Corsairs Empty
PostSubject: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03 2014, 11:14

Hi all,

So a few things struck me about 7th edition.  The first was the improved jink save, the second was the removal of the reserves limit and the third was the improvements to deep strike.

With this in mind I want to build an army around a Corsair Prince's ability to force night fighting for a turn, with an autarch and the Duke for reserves and deepstrike manipulation.

Here's the battleplan:

1. Start with min units on the board (preferably hidden) enough to make sure I'm not tabled (include the Corsair Prince).

2. Turn two, deep strike EVERYTHING possible into the enemy ranks. This is done via duke S's rule and also the 3x deep strike the Prince confers.

Possible units to do this with: Kabalites in Raiders with SR, Corsair Guardians with 2x SC and 2x Melta, Scourges with Heatlances (+ablative others), Talos (benefiting from the Prince's ability?), and then some meaty assault units on raiders - 9x wyches plus Autarch (or something similar).

3. Hopefully get a DE flier or two on.

3. Shooting phase the Kabbies let rip into anything soft, Corsairs/Scourges blast vehicles and Corsair Prince brings down nightfight.  This grants the Raiders all a nice 3+ jink for the turn.

The fliers who have arrived missile spam (with the pinning missiles) into as many units as possible.  This combined with torture launchers (can't recall their name) on the Raiders should hopefully leave at least some units pinned ready for a charge next turn - no overwatch.

4. Opponent faces target saturation in his own lines.  Do you shoot the Kabbies in Raiders or the assault units who will be charging next turn?  Hopefully some of his units are snap firing due to GtG and any nasty vehicles have been haywire/fusion gunned to death.

This seems relatively fluffy (I love the idea of the lights going down just as DE launch their strike) and would bother most armies.

Main danger is being tabled turn one... hiding units should help with this.  Maybe some wracks somewhere.

I haven't costed it up, but I'd like to know your thoughts.  Has anyone had any success with something like this?

Also - can the Corsair Prince's ability allow me to DS Talos?

Kabalite Warrior
Starkadder

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2014, 14:42

bump

Especially looking for some advice on anyone with experience of the Prince's Deep Strike rule. In the wording it says it applies to:

"any three units of the owning player's choice, chosen as part of the force organisation chart for the army'

I'm not entirely sure how this would be interpreted in 7th. Does it apply only to the 'force org' of the Prince? Is it to any 'combined arms' detachment?

Wych
Skari

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09 2014, 00:26

I like your ideas. Thanks for sharing. I have some corsairs, and have always wanted to play them, but I have not yet, so my tactical input is nought. Although, I do have the same thought process as yourself. Have you played any games?

Youtube Channel
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
Starkadder
Kabalite Warrior
Starkadder

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 09 2014, 13:10

Skari wrote:
I like your ideas. Thanks for sharing. I have some corsairs, and have always wanted to play them, but I have not yet, so my tactical input is nought. Although, I do have the same thought process as yourself. Have you played any games?

Hi Skari, I played my first game of 7th (and first with Corsairs) yesterday.

Full illutrated battle report can be found here: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t9488-void-pirate-corsair-orbital-strike-force-v-dark-angels

Hopefully this is helpful!

Wych
Crazy_Ivan

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12 2014, 18:19

I just started a corsair detachment before 7th came out.

I think a better use of the prince would be to turn on night fighting, giving reavers a 2+ jink and all vehicles a 3+ jink regardless of their distance from the enemy.
Back to top Go down
LSK
Kabalite Warrior
LSK

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12 2014, 06:43

Hi all deepstrikers,
I was interrested in the null deployment (cf. unorthodoxy thread in tactical section) with my sliscus list, but did not try it yet.
Corsairs look really cool and appealing for such a strategy. But was the Corsair list updated for 7th ? I found it in IA 11 (doom of mymeara stuff), but it's still 5th ed or did I miss something?

NB: my playgroup is a bit reluctant to let me play with FW / outdated army lists.

Starkadder
Kabalite Warrior
Starkadder

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 16:24

LSK wrote:
Hi all deepstrikers,
I was interrested in the null deployment (cf. unorthodoxy thread in tactical section) with my sliscus list, but did not try it yet.
Corsairs look really cool and appealing for such a strategy. But was the Corsair list updated for 7th ? I found it in IA 11 (doom of mymeara stuff), but it's still 5th ed or did I miss something?

NB: my playgroup is a bit reluctant to let me play with FW / outdated army lists.

Hi LSK, sorry for the delay. I think the IA 11 rules are the most up-to-date out there..? I will double check and get back to you.

Kabalite Warrior
LSK

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 16:59

Thanks Starkadder.
New DE codex may improve your strat a lot:
Raiders could get 3+ jink ( if the new night shield is confirmed) all the time (not only night fight)
Torment Grenade Launchers could improve the Raiders with additional damage.
Scourges could have access to more heavy/special weapons (see that on Saturday, 4 Heat Lances or 4 HW blasters)

thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 21:47

I love this idea. I'm upset I've only just seen it, I'd try. After the new book, I think I will, but I'm not going to have time to write a list and get a game in before that.

Starkadder
Kabalite Warrior
Starkadder

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01 2014, 00:06

Funny you should mention that LSK: I just rewrote this to include the rumours.

Have a look below.

http://bit.ly/1wVN4KK

Kabalite Warrior
LSK

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01 2014, 16:22

I've just read it.
My decision is now irrevocable: if the new codex is total crap, i'll start a corsair army :p (at least for fun)

Starkadder
Kabalite Warrior
Starkadder

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01 2014, 20:08

Interestingly, it looks like the best build for 7th Ed will come from this startegy. A DE lord dropping in with some Wraithguard is very nasty...

Grots are shaping up to be pretty monstrous too from the rumours I am seeing!

I'll stick a battle report up from when I used this list in the next day or so...

PostSubject: Re: Orbital Strike with Corsairs   Orbital Strike with Corsairs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Orbital Strike with Corsairs
Page 1 of 1