THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Wracks in red?

Go down 
+2
Count Adhemar
Zenotaph
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03 2014, 14:23

Hey guys,
I have a package of wracks, for quite some time now, but never modeled, or painted them.
The reason is quite simple: I don't like that pale skin, dark skirt and the black mask...
But yesterday, for some unknown reason, called too much beer, I had an idea.
Paint the skin bloody red, like freshly skinned. The skirt would be dark grey, washed black,
and the helmet would be silver metallic, also washed a bit black. Weapons and tools are standard metallic.

What do you think? Could this work? And when not, why?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03 2014, 14:42

If you could make the Wracks skin look something like this I think it would look amazing!

Wracks in red? Khymera1

Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03 2014, 14:52

That's exactly the thing, I thought of. My problem is, when it comes to detail painting, I have ten thumbs.
My idea was to paint it in a pale red, then wash it red, let it dry, then wash it red again, if needed.
Back to top Go down
Alpharius
Slave

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2014, 09:10

sounds like it will work out and look cool.
my wracks skin are painted blue/grey because my 2 brothers collect tau (no better use for tau than to be our slaves  Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2014, 10:35

This is a good way to make Wracks stand out and bring out their disturbing details. I have seen several truly amazing flayed Wrack models, so painting up your squad like that sounds great. I would suggest trying out the new GW Blood for the Blood God tehnical paint - first paint them darker red, then layer the technical paint over it - it gives it a great glossy dark red effect.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2014, 16:30

Quote :
My idea was to paint it in a pale red, then wash it red, let it dry, then wash it red again, if needed.

You should probably use gloss varnish afterwards to provide shiny effect of pouring blood and liquids.
Drybrushing with lighter color will work as well. As well as adding some pure white spots where it suppose to catch light.

ITs a wet surface after all.
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2014, 17:11

I use the gloss after using the purity seal. Adding pure white spots is difficult with my fingers,
but I'll do my best. Maybe, I can begin this weekend. Also want to finish another warrior squad.

edit: Btw, thanks for the input and your suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2014, 17:23

You can just practice before screwing miniatures.

Wracks in red? D3239a347045

Train until you hit just the right spot, and the dot is exactly that, dot.

Then parallel lines of roughly the same width.

Wracks in red? A0ca86aeb7e7

The point of the exercise is to find the right techique, where those fine dots and lines happens most naturally. This means change your innate techique and try to evole a new one.

There is a proverb in russian which translates roughly as "steady hand". It implies that you grow used to some activity and can do with more skill if you are constantly doing it for the long time. Point is, your not obliged to do steadiing of hand on miniatures, you can practice using exercises.
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2014, 19:03

Hm, I think, we got a little misunderstanding here. You see, I'm kind of an electronics technician,
so I'm used to handle really little parts, like SMD-resistors, or IC's. I even solder them with just bare eyesight.
I just seem to be unable to handle a brush. I cover that with my own painting scheme, which mainly uses washes,
just small points of highlighting and that kind of thingies. But, that aside, I'm still practicing.
Joke is, with the exact exercises, you advised me with. Problem is, it just don't work.  confused 
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04 2014, 20:22

Is the problem with not getting a fine enough point or getting too much paint in the brush? I find that is one thing that is really common to everyone that is starting out painting, and I am not sure how else to fix the latter but with practice and taking only a little bit of paint each time (I try to use about a third of the bristle length, myself).

With the brush point itself, after washing it out, I usually re-shape the bristles into a fine point with my lips, I've seen other people doing it with the palette as well.
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05 2014, 01:45

My suggestion for that sort of flayed skin thing is as follows....

Paint it all in a dark purple dry brush heavy with a light purple (maybe follow up with a light drybrush of almost white) then just coat the thing in blood for the blood god. It will look like muscles and you will get that bloody feel. possibly go over first in a red glaze and then blood for the blood god but you would have to play around with it a bit. and make sure its not too glossy or else it will look weird sitting next to a bunch of matte.

http://chestofcolors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/how-to-paint-chaos-steeds-skin-2.jpg
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05 2014, 09:40

Siticus the Ancient wrote:
Is the problem with not getting a fine enough point or getting too much paint in the brush? I find that is one thing that is really common to everyone that is starting out painting, and I am not sure how else to fix the latter but with practice and taking only a little bit of paint each time (I try to use about a third of the bristle length, myself).

With the brush point itself, after washing it out, I usually re-shape the bristles into a fine point with my lips, I've seen other people doing it with the palette as well.

Neither. I just can't hit the right spots. It's like the bristles are joking with me...
Reshaping the brush with the lips is common use here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wracks in red? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wracks in red?   Wracks in red? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wracks in red?
Page 1 of 1