THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

My First Army

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
missmarrion
Slave
missmarrion

My First Army Empty
PostSubject: My First Army   My First Army I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02 2014, 04:43

Hello all, so I'm quite new to the playing aspect of Warhammer, but I have been painting these Dark Eldars for a while now. Seeing that I'm almost done painting, I wanted to get a jump start on learning what I really need to build a badass army.

So this is what I have so far:
10 Wyches
10 Warriors
5 Scourges
5 Hellions
1 Venom
5 Wracks
Lelith
Haemonculi

Now my MAIN question is, are there any other units that I should get? Now, I'm sure a raider (or 2) is probably needed for mobility, but those things are huge & it's pretty intimidating when I think of painting it.

Advice & comments are greatly appreciated. cheers Thanks!
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

My First Army Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Army   My First Army I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02 2014, 09:37

Hey,

I'm far from an expert, but some comments for you-
I guess you know you're short on transport vehicles. Also, something to think about is were you want your Warlord(assuming Lelith) to go. DE transports are only  5/10, so if you want HQs to be riding your squads will have to be smaller.

I would also recommend some AT. Ravagers are the standard, but I have such bad luck with Ravager shots I've decided to start using a Razorwing instead. Also, a Razorwing fits more into the Wych vibe you seem to have.
Reaver jetbikes could also be useful, again they're "wychy" and will give your force some high speed movement.

How have you equipped your squads? Do the Kabalites have Splintercannons and/or Blaster? What are the Scourge packing? Do the Wracks have a Liqufier? Depending on how you modeled your current squads could affect what unit you need to purchase next.

But definitely transports first. Even another Venom before your first Raider.
Back to top Go down
missmarrion
Slave
missmarrion

My First Army Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Army   My First Army I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02 2014, 16:19

Thanks flakmonkey!

Honestly, when I first started I just put whatever weapons looked cool on my guys. It was only recently that I found out the weapons had certain abilities (thanks to the gameswork shop guys.) And to be completely honest, I'm not entirely too sure what is best for my units.

This is what I know at the moment:

Wyches - I have all "special" close combat weapons (yet, I know in the codex that I'm only allowed 2 for every five models.) I also have a Hekatrix with an agoniser.

Warriors - I believe I have them equipped with splinter cannons (I got them off ebay.)

Scourges - 1 with haywire blaster, 1 with a heat lance. Also a Solarite with an agoniser & blast piston.

Wracks - I haven't finished with these guys but yes I do plan of giving them liquifers, but I think only its only 1 for every 5 models (right?)

I do plan on getting a few more venoms here soon, so that would work & the razorwings sounds promising.

What do you think of my set-up so far? I'm quite new & I've been hanging out at gw to get a better understanding of the game play, so any help is great help.

Much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

My First Army Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Army   My First Army I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02 2014, 17:33

Don't worry about the wych weapons. You can just call them basically equipped Wyches once you've filled your quota of specials that you want.
Close combat solarithe sounds like a badass! He's expensive points wise, and scourges wouldn't usually get into fights, but then if you're getting close to vehicles to heatlance them, could be useful.
Apart from transports, I couldn't recommend Reaver Jetbikes more. I love them, model and game wise.
Good luck!

Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer
Unorthodoxy

My First Army Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Army   My First Army I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02 2014, 18:10

missmarrion wrote:
Hello all, so I'm quite new to the playing aspect of Warhammer, but I have been painting these Dark Eldars for a while now. Seeing that I'm almost done painting, I wanted to get a jump start on learning what I really need to build a badass army.

So this is what I have so far:
10 Wyches
10 Warriors
5 Scourges
5 Hellions
1 Venom
5 Wracks
Lelith
Haemonculi

Now my MAIN question is, are there any other units that I should get? Now, I'm sure a raider (or 2) is probably needed for mobility, but those things are huge & it's pretty intimidating when I think of painting it

Advice & comments are greatly appreciated. cheers Thanks!

~~~
If you base paint the Raiders on the sprue, it's usually pretty fast to paint and touch up tanks. But that's besides the point and assumes you have an airbrush which you may not or use Colored Primers from companies like Army Builder (expensive but a massive time saver).

I have found that most Dark Eldar lists ULTIMATELY end up with 2 venoms no matter how you slice it so make that the very NEXT purchase. They're just good weapon systems. Perfect for Trueborn operations (which is what I would turn the Kabalite Warriors into). Also decent for use as a Wyche transport though I would argue, Trueborn with Haywire is a better all around idea.

Get more Wracks. Best Troops choice I know of in the codex and very solid for the points. Heartier than the rest of their kin, poisoned weapons, carry liquifiers and hex rifles... Whats not to like? It's a very intimidating package and Pain Tokens can be given to them rather quickly from Urien Rakarth, from the Talos and from their own kills.

That's where i would start as far as purchases.

http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

My First Army Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Army   My First Army I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03 2014, 01:15

Form your wargear selections, it is obvious your picking best looking stuff (I made a similar Solarite but with the spear and pistol. Unfortunately he got broken down and the pieces used on more useful models, the head went to my Archon, and the spear went to an Autarch)
But I think at some point to play effectively you need to balance that "coolness" factor against practicality. At least, that's what I've learnt.
So in the current set up, your Solarite is worth 67 points, and the whole unit is 177. It's not the best to have so many points concentrated in a 1 wound character generally, especially as they're not primarily a combat unit. But it does look cool.
I've never used Hellions, so all I can say is when I bought my hellions I made them into Beastmasters and bought some chaos warhounds to stand in as Kymerae.
Haemonculus are solid, cheap HQs, even with just a Liqufier and Venom blade(and put him in a raider with your wracks so you can double liqufiy units)

"Whereas the duty of the Imperial Commander is either to seize or defend territory, the Dark Eldar make war only to steal. If, as a by-product of this, the are able to indulge their vile passion for murder, torture and other decadent acts, then they will joyfully do so, but this is not their primary goal"
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

My First Army Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Army   My First Army I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03 2014, 07:47

The coolness/practicality struggle is real. Why not model the solarithe with a shardcarbine on a shoulder strap, or some other inventive thing, so he can be a regular points guy who still looks awesome. Just remember to not use his special gear in games where you haven't paid the points!

missmarrion
Slave
missmarrion

My First Army Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Army   My First Army I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03 2014, 16:59

Yeah, at first I was just putting on whatever looked the coolest, but after some time at gw they informed me that certain weapons have greater value and effectiveness than others. Im beginning to understand the point values of the weapons and units as I'm reading through the codex but game play is a bit of a struggle for me. But thats nothing some practice wont help. I can probably see myself switching up the weapons once I start playing. Thanks guys!

On another note: I have 2 more venoms (and maybe a raider) coming in! And yes Unorthodoxy, I plan on getting at least another set of wracks. They just look so bad ass! afro
Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer
Unorthodoxy

My First Army Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Army   My First Army I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04 2014, 01:38

They do look so bad ass. You're absolutely correct. They also perform their jobs well which is the added bonus.

http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

My First Army Empty
PostSubject: Re: My First Army   My First Army I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My First Army
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-