THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep

Go down 
+5
SERAFF
Amornar
1++
Unorthodoxy
Skari
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Skari
Wych
Skari

Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep Empty
PostSubject: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21 2014, 01:46

Miniwargamer Jay and I run into each other at a gas station... what could possibly go wrong? ! Batrep time! Enjoy:
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21 2014, 05:47

Enhanced Aethersails for the win. I've recently included them in my force and it has provided very good effect.

As Jay learned, the speed of the Dark eldar is a weapon unto itself. The idea of whittling doesnt really happen in Dark Eldar assault armies that use the Sails because theres simply no time to do it and nowhere to hide from us. The hits come so fast and hard that it is very difficult for an enemy to extricate themselves from it or to whittle it beforeheand.

Letting you go first, I felt, was a mistake on a lot of levels. Given the choice to do it again, I suspect he won't. I was pretty surprised he did that. Just the nature of the majority of Maelstrom missions screams for you to go first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21 2014, 08:30

Both are great batreps! This is a great idea Skari and I'd love to see more cross-promotional batreps. It's awesome to see the same game portrayed in two unique styles. Bravo!
Back to top Go down
Amornar
Kabalite Warrior
Amornar

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21 2014, 13:48

Amazing report as always Skari! I always look forward to each new battle for the Dark Olympiad. I was also really impressed with advanced sails....makes me think about changing my list around. Do you have any hopes or fears about the new book supposedly coming in a few months?
Back to top Go down
SERAFF
Sybarite
SERAFF

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21 2014, 17:14

Nice game. I didn't expect to see Jay in you battle report, all stars in one video!
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21 2014, 20:25

Unorthodoxy wrote:
Letting you go first, I felt, was a mistake on a lot of levels. Given the choice to do it again, I suspect he won't.  I was pretty surprised he did that.  Just the nature of the majority of Maelstrom missions screams for you to go first.
Very much this - as soon as I saw that and saw what the two armies were I was like...oh, well... Suspect 

The after report with the admission of not knowing or playing DE much really explained a lot.
I hear that 'you're so fast, I wasn't ready for it' comment all the time.
The closing the gauntlet comment was very apropos.
Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus
Erebus

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21 2014, 21:11

To be fair to Jay, there is not much he could have done had he gone first. Letting Skari go first was the sensible option at that point given how each had deployed. Going second wasn't the problem, deploying first and going second was.
Back to top Go down
Razorfate
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21 2014, 21:38

Great batrep. Looking forward for a rematch.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22 2014, 07:31

Erebus wrote:
To be fair to Jay, there is not much he could have done had he gone first. Letting Skari go first was the sensible option at that point given how each had deployed. Going second wasn't the problem, deploying first and going second was.
I disagree - he was an assault based Ork army with limited shooting and mobility. Now, just in a general sense I disagree with his list build, but with that list it was important for him to claim the center board as soon as possible in order to advance his goal of being in a position to claim objectives and force the combat.

I'll agree that trying to run down a fast skimmer army with foot Orks and some walkers is hardly a matchup to strive for (unless you're the DE side of the equation) but once you are in that situation the only logical goal is to position yourself so that you can force the enemy to close with you, or you can be in a position where they cannot evade you.

No matter whether he chose to go first or second, the DE were going to get a free round of shooting at him.
For some reason he decided to give them two.
He should have at least taken the extra movement phase.
Back to top Go down
Rakenior
Slave
Rakenior

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22 2014, 19:03

I watched the battle from both players perspectives (i.e. both videos) and thought they were both great.

I hope you continue to produce them for some time to come!

On a completely different note; what's a Brit doing in Canada any way?  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22 2014, 20:33

Erebus wrote:

Going second was bad. Going completely strong side without mobility was also bad. So I think he did not give his best game here.
Back to top Go down
Skari
Wych
Skari

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26 2014, 13:45

lots of great comments here!

I feel like the first thing that sealed the deal was his deployment, cornering in one flank, I was able to envelop him easily. And moving the warboses unit solo up the flank with no support was huge as well, instead of sending the morkanaught or the deffdread up there to assist. The going second or first was less of an issue iMO.
Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26 2014, 23:18

Deployment as aforementioned for sure but ugh... Orks really REALLY benefit from going first in most cases.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29 2014, 01:20

I agree with Unorthodoxy here.

I mean, if I wanted I could say his list build was the primary mistake and that the deployment was less of an issue and I would also be speaking a likely truth. But that doesn't really make the lack of going first not an issue. Choosing to go second *did* negatively effect his chances of winning, especially considering the design concept behind his army in the first place. He was playing a smash mouth army versus a mobile shooting one and decided not to advance. That seems prima facie for an unwise value call to me.
Back to top Go down
Skari
Wych
Skari

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14 2014, 05:53

The tactical choices we make sure do affect the game regardless of list choice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep   Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Miniwargamer Jay and his Orks vs Skari and his Dark Eldar! Video Batrep
Page 1 of 1