THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Ravagers or Vypers?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Drk_Oblitr8r
Hellion
Drk_Oblitr8r

Ravagers  or Vypers? Empty
PostSubject: Ravagers or Vypers?   Ravagers  or Vypers? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 23 2014, 12:49

I've been trying to decide which to go with for the better part of the week. A Ravager with 3 Disintegrator Cannons with Flickerfields or two Vypers in a squadron with Scatter Lasers. I'm tossing up between these two specific builds because they're only 5 points difference between them.

The three Dissies put out 9 S5 AP2 shots while the two Scatters only put out a single less shot at S6. The AP isn't as low which that means it's not as effective against 2+ and doesn't get +1 to the damage result. But it's more likely to wound, glance or pen things.

Two Vypers also have an extra Hullpoint over a Ravager, but when the squadron lose two hullpoints it has only half as many shots as when it started. Where as a Ravager would only lose shots if it's suffered weapon destroyed prior to being completely destroyed. On being completely destroyed, the Vyper squadron can't be purely destroyed on a single "Explodes!" result, though a Ravager with Flickerfields is less likely to be penned and suffer the result in the first place by having additional AV and a 5++.

They're both fast open topped and skimmers, so they're equally as fast and the speed they travel doesn't negatively effect how they can fire. They're both aimed at mowing down the smaller stuff that Splinter weapons probably shouldn't be firing at (They make Gretchin as tough as Wraithknights), and stripping hull points from other light vehicles. They both also have a 36" range as well. The squadron is 5 points more than the Ravager though.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Ravagers or Vypers?   Ravagers  or Vypers? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 23 2014, 17:54

What is the rest of the army, and what weaknesses do you need filled?
Because, as discussed, they're both pretty close, so the question starts to become what holes need filling.
To my mind questions like 'battle forged' start to come to the forefront.

Basically I would say, that if your goal is to kill infantry the Dissie Ravager is superior, and if your goal is more all purpose than the Vypers are superior (as they excel more at killing vehicles and MCs than the Dissie Rav will.

Back to top Go down
Drk_Oblitr8r
Hellion
Drk_Oblitr8r

PostSubject: Re: Ravagers or Vypers?   Ravagers  or Vypers? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 25 2014, 10:42

This is what my list is currently looking like, it's currently battle forged with a single detachment for each. I'm still trying to find the right place for my Farseer to be, and I may have just realised my Archon's unit is 420 so I'm thinking of reducing that somehow. Otherwise I think at the moment I have anti infantry down. I think what I'm missing most is some sort of long range anti tank, though I've been doing ok running up and slapping them with Wyches.

I could maybe shuffle some points and go for three Vypers, or drop a squad WRJBs to fit both the Vypers and a Ravager.

HQ
Archon - Huskblade, Venomblade, Combat Drugs, Shadowfield, Soultrap 150

Haemonculus - Liquifier 60

Elite
5x Incubi - Klaivex - Onslaught 140
Raider - Dark Lance, Flickerfield 70

Troop
5x Wyches - Haywire Grenades
Venom - 2nd Splinter Cannon 125

Fast Attack
6x Reavers- 2x Blasters 162

Allied HQ
Farseer - Singing Spear, Eldar Jetbike 120

Allied Troops
3x Windrider Jetbikes - Shuriken Cannon 61
3x Windrider Jetbikes - Shuriken Cannon 61

1327/1500
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Ravagers or Vypers?   Ravagers  or Vypers? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31 2014, 12:58

You cant have 2 scatters on a vyper. Only shuricannon on the second mount. The maximum range of the ShuriCannon is 24'' which means that Vypers are usually in a much more dangerous place and can be damaged by S4+

I tried vypers and they are really underperforming compared to Lance ravager. Not sure about Dissie Ravager, but I guess it will be similar due to range and armour. The only use I found for them was in Corsairs list, where I DSed them to the rear armour. But DSing is only possible through Corsair Prince ability.

War Walkers are much better weapons platform from an Eldar DEX IMHO. Have Battle Focus, Invul, Scout and Fleet... And better weapons loadout. AND you can hide them into CC if the need arises.

Also you need 2 troops in allied detachment so dropping one would give you unbound army, which is not really accepted by everyone. Not mentioning that battleforged armies do have good bonuses.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ravagers or Vypers?   Ravagers  or Vypers? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ravagers or Vypers?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-