THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lululu_42
Kabalite Warrior
lululu_42

lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules. Empty
PostSubject: lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules.   lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27 2014, 05:48

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I at one point near the end of 6th edition was working on my own 40k rules since I felt that 40k as a game wasn't the game it should be so I took it upon my self to try and fix those issues. 7th came out and it still didn't fix all the issues I have with 40k so I am releasing what rules I had written but I have been unable to test (unfortunately I have been unable to get around to it.). So on that note here are the rules I had written I hope that people will try them out if they are interested and want to give constructive criticism.

This is basically a Alpha test of the rules or a rough draft. My goal was to make the game feel a bit more dynamic without changing the core of the game. My goal wasn't to completely change everything but be able to change enough to the game to make it feel harsher, faster(I may have not accomplished that.), and more strategical (in my mind); again without changing the core of the game to the point it feels like a different game. This is what I feel GW has been struggling with all these editions and have somewhat failed. Although I do give them props for a willingness to change things around (as i would assume) for experimenting to see what people like.

So feel free to print out these rules to have a test with a good friend and post any odd issues or rule issues that you feel need to be brought up. I also encourage anything that you feel is overpowered because of these rules to be posted here as well. Thanks.

I will update this first post with each new version of the rules as often as I can and don't be discouraged if your clam of a problem isn't fixed it just means ether I haven't figured out how to fix it or I don't think there is a problem and your wrong. Very Happy

As for posting issues please let me know what two armies are being played (you don't need to posts the lists) and how many points.

Last updated August 26. 2014
Spoiler:

Space Elves get a pass.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules.   lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28 2014, 23:12

Are you suggesting infantry should be allowed to run 6" making a 1' long move easy? That seems insane for CC special characters. And Terminators O.o
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules.   lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29 2014, 10:12

To be honest, most of the rules you've written here seem to be trying to make the game streamlined and I don't mean that in a good way. It looks like you're trying to simplify right down to the level where most games will be set up identically. Everything is based on set ranges (so dice rolling for charge, etc). I mean look at your objective deployment rules. It basically says every game will have the objectives set in exactly the same places.
The randomness is one of the things I love in the game. Each game is set up different, and some aspects such as charge ranges can turn on you with a twist of luck. I LIKE that stuff. This seems more......well, I'll come out and say it, like you're trying to remove the fun aspects in favour of the competitive - a simple set of basic rules to a set formula. I know the Fun vs. Competitive argument has gone on and on, but I'm firmly on the Fun side, and I don't think these rules add to that in any way, I think they take from it by being to rigid in many regards.

In my opinion.

P.S. Please lets not use this as an excuse to starta Fun vs. Competitive argument. That will take this thread off topic.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules.   lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29 2014, 12:24

Squidmaster wrote:

P.S. Please lets not use this as an excuse to starta  Fun vs. Competitive argument. That will take this thread off topic.

But... but... -puts Tau codex down- WHY NOT?!
Back to top Go down
lululu_42
Kabalite Warrior
lululu_42

PostSubject: Re: lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules.   lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29 2014, 22:25

Squidmaster wrote:
To be honest, most of the rules you've written here seem to be trying to make the game streamlined and I don't mean that in a good way. It looks like you're trying to simplify right down to the level where most games will be set up identically. Everything is based on set ranges (so dice rolling for charge, etc). I mean look at your objective deployment rules. It basically says every game will have the objectives set in exactly the same places.
The randomness is one of the things I love in the game. Each game is set up different, and some aspects such as charge ranges can turn on you with a twist of luck. I LIKE that stuff. This seems more......well, I'll come out and say it, like you're trying to remove the fun aspects in favor of the competitive - a simple set of basic rules to a set formula. I know the Fun vs. Competitive argument has gone on and on, but I'm firmly on the Fun side, and I don't think these rules add to that in any way, I think they take from it by being to rigid in many regards.

In my opinion.

I understand that these rules won't be for everyone and I know I won't be able to appease everyone also. I have never been a fan of the lets randomize everything mechanic. There are places and times to use role a d6 to see what happens and times when roiling a d6 to see what happens is dumb.

For example rolling a d6 to see if you hit makes sense rolling to see how far you run is kinda of dumb.
If you don't agree that's fine also.

I also want people to realize this is basically a first draft and I plan to revise and revise over time. Streamlined rules don't mean its designed to be competitive and having charts upon charts upon random charts doesn't mean the game is casual. Games need to have a strong foundation in which to start building and this is the foundation for these rules. I may need to tweak and or redo the foundation but a person must start somewhere and since I haven't been able to test these rules myself I had posted them here in hopes maybe a couple of players where bored and wanted to give them a try.

I will keep in mind about your concerns on whether or not these rules are too streamlined or too random. Thanks.

Space Elves get a pass.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules.   lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

lululu_42's Homebrew 40k Rules.
Page 1 of 1