THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Shiny Nuln Oil

Go down 
+2
aurynn
thesaltedwound
6 posters
AuthorMessage
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

Shiny Nuln Oil Empty
PostSubject: Shiny Nuln Oil   Shiny Nuln Oil I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 19:01

I'd post a pic, but the light is terrible now, what with it being the evening and all my lights being basically fireflies in jars.

Anyway, I was trying to create a black for my (old) incubi that actually looks black instead of just looking unfinished. I washed nuln oil over eshin grey and for some reason it's dried really shiny.

What did I do wrong? I don't actually hate it, but I want the unit to be consistent, so if you guys could tell me how to either do this again or avoid it completely, I'd be very grateful.
Back to top Go down
http://Www.bakeframes.bigcartel.com
aurynn
Incubi

Shiny Nuln Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiny Nuln Oil   Shiny Nuln Oil I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 19:06

Thats strange... washes dont do shiny surfaces... I would test on a piece of sprue nuln oil and some other wash you have. If nuln oil comes out shiny and the other doesnt, there is somthing wrong with Nuln oil. You might also try the eshin grey and some other similar colour if the shine comes from the eshin. Replace the bad colour if you find it.

Also... Did you shake the colours well enough?

You might mitigate it by using matt varnish on the shiny models.
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

Shiny Nuln Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiny Nuln Oil   Shiny Nuln Oil I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 19:23

Yeah that's what I thought... I actually don't mind the effect, but I know it shouldn't have happened so I worry that I'll have one model like that and the others looking different.

I shake like I'm making a martini Wink

Good idea about testing the pots, I'll try it. Thanks!

Aeterna
Kabalite Warrior
Aeterna

Shiny Nuln Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiny Nuln Oil   Shiny Nuln Oil I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 19:34

Not sure your habits and panting style but if you used metallic paint with the brush or rinse some of it may have carried over.

"Hear our call children of the void, listen to the screams of your brothers and sisters, see the raining ash from your home. Do you have what it takes to stand back up, or will you fall like so many before you."
                                                                                                      -  Zorev Norterus, Archon of the Immortal Eclipse
                Kabal of the Immortal Eclipse | Coven of the Shadow Flesh | Cult of the Black Rage
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

Shiny Nuln Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiny Nuln Oil   Shiny Nuln Oil I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 21:01

My panting style? Quick heavy breaths, I keep my tongue in but stick out my chin a little.

No metals on my DE though, but good thought. Something I'll watch out for in future. The shininess is more like the model looking wet or glossy than metallic shine.

Also, you raise an important point, and I will start a plog one of these days.

Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

Shiny Nuln Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiny Nuln Oil   Shiny Nuln Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 06:35

Army Painter Anti shine.

Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

Shiny Nuln Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiny Nuln Oil   Shiny Nuln Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 12:30

Its_Rumble wrote:
Army Painter Anti shine.

Badazzle Detergent!

Anyways, it helps to put white sides up on all sides of the model. Maybe a Papair box? (Paper)
Back to top Go down
LSK
Kabalite Warrior
LSK

Shiny Nuln Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiny Nuln Oil   Shiny Nuln Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 14:20

@thesaltedwound: I use almost the same technique to paint black as you do:
base : eshin grey, some quick highlights with and lighter grey, and then instead of Nuln Oil wash, I use a mix of : 40% water + 40% acrylic mat medium + 20% Abaddon Black
You can also increase the quantity of black for a deeper effect.

It is something like a glaze, it covers much more than a GW wash, but the edges are still appearing through it. Depending on the medium you use, the finish will be mat or glossy.

thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

Shiny Nuln Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiny Nuln Oil   Shiny Nuln Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 15:29

Sounds good, thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try when I can get hold of some AMM. Where do you get yours?

LSK
Kabalite Warrior
LSK

Shiny Nuln Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiny Nuln Oil   Shiny Nuln Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 15:59

I use this one from Liquitex: http://www.liquitex.com/mattemedium/
You can find it in any good craft shop.

Shiny Nuln Oil Lx5104

It exists in several different size of bottle.
Be careful, the gloss and satin bottles look like the same.

The mix of "water + medium" should have the consistence of milk.

aurynn
Incubi

Shiny Nuln Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiny Nuln Oil   Shiny Nuln Oil I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 16:38

I buy the acrylic mediums i artistic store. The staff there is usually well versed and can advise. Not me tioning it is usually high quality stuff and cheaper...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shiny Nuln Oil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiny Nuln Oil   Shiny Nuln Oil I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shiny Nuln Oil
Page 1 of 1