THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?

Go down 
+6
lelith
1++
The PayneTrayn
Unholyllama
@miral
Archon2589
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Archon2589
Hellion
Archon2589

Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? Empty
PostSubject: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07 2014, 16:49

So right now I have a Haemonculus and Urien Rakarth, and I'm thinking about buying an Archon and build an army around them. My big question is what is Urien supposed to do in it and which unit should he join ? Should I put him inside a big unit of 9 Wracks in a raider ? Or should I run him with Grotesques ? Also, if the latter option is the best in your opinion, what do you use as proxy for grotesques ? Plus, is it better to put him in the main detachment and put the Haemonculus in the allied coven detachment to have access to the coven artifacts ?
Back to top Go down
@miral
Kabalite Warrior
@miral

PostSubject: Re: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07 2014, 16:58

Grots are converted most of the time from parts of the talos and most commonly rat ogres. Here is a link to an old thread on that: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t1599-undertaking-a-new-counts-as-grotesque-project

I think both options to field him are good, I personally would go with grots. They have a similar role, tough with instakill attacks. Maybe field him with the first formation from the supplement!
Back to top Go down
Unholyllama
Sybarite
Unholyllama

PostSubject: Re: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07 2014, 17:18

In the old book, I would run him in an aethersails raider with 3 Grots. Somewhat a suicidal unit but he boosted them nicely and did great against most opponents/characters.

Now though, I think he's still decent but nowhere near as good as he was. However, given how grots got better, the unit as a whole is pretty solid still. The changes to the clonefield is better in a general sense but not necessarily in a challenge as before. Having IWND instead of just auto-gaining a wound also hurts.

That said - I haven't ran Urien yet in the new book but plan to in my next game to see just how different the unit has changed.
Back to top Go down
The PayneTrayn
Hellion
The PayneTrayn

PostSubject: Re: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08 2014, 00:23

What's Urien's warlord trait in the supplement? I don't access to it, and I didn't see what it was on the other thread. That might make a difference in how to run him.
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08 2014, 07:29

4++ Clonefield with 4+ FnP and being T5 he'll be getting that FnP roll virtually all the time. Possible wounds soak for Grots perhaps....

Sybarite
lelith

PostSubject: Re: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08 2014, 12:00

1++ wrote:
4++ Clonefield with 4+ FnP and being T5 he'll be getting that FnP roll virtually all the time. Possible wounds soak for Grots perhaps....

That and Father of Pain.

El_Jairo
Kabalite Warrior
El_Jairo

PostSubject: Re: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2014, 02:09

lelith wrote:
1++ wrote:

That and Father of Pain.
For sure, only for this my eye was caught by him. He really seems like being the centre of the moshpit Laughing
He is a certain way of early access to Furious Charge on multiple units. And he costs less than 2 Heamonculi...

And yes, he might be useful at soaking wounds, as he has It will not die USR. Not as good as it was before but still, he can regenerate.
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20 2014, 12:39

Sorry to kind of resurrect this thread, but the question written above, about Urien's Warlord Trait in the Supplement, hasn't been answered yet. What's you guys' take on this? If he kept his Fear thing, it would be a waste in my opinion, as almost everyone from the Coven will have it very quickly anyway.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20 2014, 14:02

Kinnay wrote:
Sorry to kind of resurrect this thread, but the question written above, about Urien's Warlord Trait in the Supplement, hasn't been answered yet. What's you guys' take on this? If he kept his Fear thing, it would be a waste in my opinion, as almost everyone from the Coven will have it very quickly anyway.

His Warlord Trait is fixed (Ancient Evil) and does not change when taken from the Covens book.

Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20 2014, 14:21

1) Take a Grotesquerie with 1 Haemonculus with Syndrq, and both units with Raiders
2) Take Urien and a unit of Clawed Fiends from the primary detachment
3) Deploy Urien in one of the Grotesquerie Raider, with the unit of Grotesques. Then, Deploy both Raiders within 12" togheter. In this way, both Grots Units start the game in fearless mode.
Deploy the Haem with Syndrq in Clawed Fiends units, and choose Fleet with the relic.

Now, you have 2 Units of Fearless Grots on Raider AND a Fearless, fast unit of Clawed Fiends who doesn't lost Fleet.
Haem doesn't really make theme slow. Is easy keeping 2" in this unit, even if Haem move 6" and the other Fiends 12"

It work, that's my experience Smile
Back to top Go down
El_Jairo
Kabalite Warrior
El_Jairo

PostSubject: Re: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21 2014, 16:53

Cerve wrote:
Haem doesn't really make theme slow. Is easy keeping 2" in this unit, even if Haem move 6" and the other Fiends 12"

It works, that's my experience Smile
I wouldn't say the Heamy doesn't slow the unit down as he isn't a beast and that is what makes that unit unique imo. They ignore difficult and dangerous terrain, which the Heamy can't.
So their threat range goes down by at least 2" but more realistically it will be more if they need to navigate terrain in the movement phase. The fact that the Heamy only moves 6" does hamper to unit quite a lot, even if you deploy him in the front, you still need some Clawed Fiends to slow down to allow him to remain in unit coherency. 1 in the first turn and after that it can become quite dramatic as you always take models away for casualties at the front, you might end up loosing more range.

The fact that the Heamy bring fearless is quite huge so I can imagine that you would be gladly giving up some manoeuvrability in return to know that this unit will need to be taken out until the last model.
Sadly his Maser of Pain is quite useless if you only field Fiends. I would include some Beast Masters to bring the cost down, still benefit from T5 and FnP from the MoP, so buffing the unit's survivability in turn 1-2.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21 2014, 17:44

El_Jairo wrote:
Cerve wrote:

It works, that's my experience Smile
I wouldn't say the Heamy doesn't slow the unit down as he isn't a beast and that is what makes that unit unique imo. They ignore difficult and dangerous terrain, which the Heamy can't.
So their threat range goes down by at least 2" but more realistically it will be more if they need to navigate terrain in the movement phase. The fact that the Heamy only moves 6" does hamper to unit quite a lot, even if you deploy him in the front, you still need some Clawed Fiends to slow down to allow him to remain in unit coherency. 1 in the first turn and after that it can become quite dramatic as you always take models away for casualties at the front, you might end up loosing more range.

The fact that the Heamy bring fearless is quite huge so I can imagine that you would be gladly giving up some manoeuvrability in return to know that this unit will need to be taken out until the last model.
Sadly his Maser of Pain is quite useless if you only field Fiends. I would include some Beast Masters to bring the cost down, still benefit from T5 and FnP from the MoP, so buffing the unit's survivability in turn 1-2.

Simply, Haem roll 2D6 for Terrain, Clawed none. Just keep the coherency Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?   Urien Rakarth - How to use him ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Urien Rakarth - How to use him ?
Page 1 of 1