THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Painting kabal of the black heart

Go down 
+2
Klaivex Charondyr
SWandDE
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SWandDE
Slave
SWandDE

Painting kabal of the black heart Empty
PostSubject: Painting kabal of the black heart   Painting kabal of the black heart I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 23 2014, 16:13

Hey guys, I am planning on starting a DE army in parallel to my space wolf army and would like to paint them in the style of the kabal of the black heart. With that in mind, I have assumed, based on looking at the models and paints, that the armour is incubi darkness, washed with green shade, followed by a thickish line highlight of kalabite green and then an edge highlight of syrabite green? Am I right about this? How are the eyes painted? I am currently recovering from a broken hand from rugby so I have plenty of time to mull over a scheme!
Back to top Go down
SWandDE
Slave
SWandDE

PostSubject: Re: Painting kabal of the black heart   Painting kabal of the black heart I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27 2014, 14:14

Anyone?
Back to top Go down
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
Klaivex Charondyr

PostSubject: Re: Painting kabal of the black heart   Painting kabal of the black heart I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27 2014, 14:44

Try this
Back to top Go down
SWandDE
Slave
SWandDE

PostSubject: Re: Painting kabal of the black heart   Painting kabal of the black heart I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27 2014, 17:56

Which obviously I have done? It comes up with not great tutorials, or ones that reference the previous white dwarf painting tutorial that was off because of bad colour mixing: my main question was about whether the base coat and highlight coloursthat I suggested were accurate and If DE painters had had good results a certain way/had advice?
Back to top Go down
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
Klaivex Charondyr

PostSubject: Re: Painting kabal of the black heart   Painting kabal of the black heart I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27 2014, 20:40

Actually I consider myself not as a very good painter (although the guys I do comissions for tell me otherwise) and the Tutorials presented achieve pretty solid results. The first one even tells you every single color used.
Dont want to sound rude but if you are above that level, you should have no issues anyways. If you are not, its solid advice.
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Painting kabal of the black heart   Painting kabal of the black heart I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 27 2014, 21:20

You know, the "hands and eyes" are the deciding factor IMHO. When you are trying to get above the "tabletop paint" level, you need to start considering the absolute details of painting, like different basing coats. Dillution mediums. Using GW or Vallejo or other paint brands, etc. Even the water matters.

For example. I started with GW paints, but found them unsuitable for my style - feathering. So I started to use Vallejo. Brushes - started with Army Painter, ended with DaVinci. Have about 15 brushes overall of different quality, some kolinsky, some synthetic, etc.

All this makes a difference but is HUGELY influenced by what your hands prefer to do and can do and what your eyes perceive as good or perfect. :-)

Lastly - tutorials need to be perceived as an advice. In almost every tutorial there is something that you can use or consider to perfect your style. When you learn the basics (tabletop level), you need to start building your own style. And the fastest and wisest way to do that is learning from examples and mistakes of others IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Painting kabal of the black heart   Painting kabal of the black heart I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 28 2014, 04:48

I prefer army painter and valejo over GW brand. I don't know much you paint but that seems to be close to right. You can even just bring them up from white with a 60/40 or so mix of Dark Green and Black made into a wash. Apply about 5 coats of this across all of the armor region until its a really nice satin look and the edges might be a little lighter. (darker than the highlights). then go over those with the layers you suggested. should be gravy.

Slave
Lord Abraxsas

PostSubject: Re: Painting kabal of the black heart   Painting kabal of the black heart I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 28 2014, 10:49

there is a very good recipe for a very good black from Picta Mortis. He posted it on Dakka Dakka, you can start from here and substitute ulthan grey with green.
Picta Mortis on Dakka Dakka wrote:
As for painting Black, I will try explain as best I can - Once the model has given a black spray undercoat I drybrush the entire figure multiple times with a mixture of Abaddon Black and Ulthaun Grey progressively adding more grey to each successive dry brush until the final one is pure Uthaun Grey. Then I go back with a watered down Abaddon Black and neaten things up, generally only leaving the places where the light would catch the model with grey showing.

this , imo is a very good starting.The rest is Trying , Trying, Trying :3 Experience it's best teacher

Edit: Even a good search can always help study -> http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2418-help-with-kabal-of-the-black-heart-color-scheme
Back to top Go down
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Painting kabal of the black heart   Painting kabal of the black heart I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29 2014, 12:04

I got some advice from a GW employee at my local store when i started mine.

For doing my blackheart scheme I paint in eschin grey and then wash twice with Coelia greenshade. It gives a greenish tinge to the black, so the green edging isn't so severe of a difference.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting kabal of the black heart   Painting kabal of the black heart I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting kabal of the black heart
Page 1 of 1