THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!

Go down 
5 posters

Who wins Game #1?
Yeeman's DE/Eldar
Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! Voteba1387%Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! Voteba15
 87% [ 13 ]
John McCool's Blitz Brigade Orks
Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! Voteba1313%Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! Voteba15
 13% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
SCP Yeeman
Sybarite

Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! Empty
PostSubject: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20 2015, 05:35

So last weekend I went to the Battle for the Mountain GT in Denver, CO held by 11th Co. Podcast member Kevin McDermott.  He ran this as an LVO primer event so all of the missions and rules are all LVO based.  I will post my opponents lists and mine and allow you guys to vote to see who wins!  There was great competition and my first game was no exception!  I will add a Battle report every few days.  

Right now will be the poll and I will post my list vs my opponents and allow you guys to cast your votes.  I even have pictures for most of my games!

Yeeman's List

Dark Eldar CAD

Succubus w/ Glaive, Parasite's Kiss, Haywire
x3 Grotesques, Raider
x3 Grotesques, Raider
x5 Warriors, Venom
x5 Warriors, Venom
x5 Warriors, Venom
Razorwing w/ Lances, Cannon
Razorwing w/ Lances, Cannon
Raider, Lance

Eldar Allies

Autarch, Fusion Gun, Soulshrive, Banshee Mask
x7 Fire Dragons
x10 Guardians, Lance Platform, Serpent w/ Scatter Laser, Cannon
Wraithknight

My opponent, John McCool's Orks

Ork Blitz Brigade Formation
Battle Wagon, Ram
Battle Wagon, Ram
Battle Wagon, Ram
Battle Wagon, Ram
Battle Wagon, Ram

Warboss, Lucky Stick, Mega Armor, Power Klaw
Mad Dok Grotssnik

x16 Boyz, Nob w/ Klaw
x16 Ard Boyz, Nob w/ Klaw

x15 Tankbustas
x15 Tankbustas
x15 Tankbustas

Mission: Emperor's Will
Deployment: Dawn of War

First Turn: Yeeman
Night Fight: No
Warlord: Reroll Reserves

Battle Report coming soon!  Vote on the poll!

Last edited by SCP Yeeman on Thu Mar 05 2015, 02:25; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23 2015, 19:24

I really like your list.

I am looking forwards to your report

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 02:46

Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! 10269551_654364662181_8305850629434547339_n

Here is a pic of my army on an old display board.  The newer one could not travel with me to CO, but I am hoping that will change for the Bugeater GT in June!

Ok so game 1 vs John McCool's Orks.  Going in I had not played John before but had seen him play a few games and knew he was a top notch player.  Plus, he had a CRAP load of rokkits!

DE Turn 1:

DE Maelstorm: Kill Unit, 3 Units in Backfield with zero Opponents
Ork Maelstorm: Kill unit, units in No Man's Land

Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! 10980753_654365834831_1898503239050047364_n

John decides to Scout up his Battlewagons 12'' at the start of the game.  This was a very curious decision as I had first turn charges everywhere!  He tells me later on  in turn 1 that he thought no Turn 1 charges were allowed, but I had to explain to him that only the Scouting or Infiltrating units cannot charge that turn.

I move up and disembark both Grotesque squads an run my Knight into the side of another.  My Autarch is in front of Mad Dok's ride, and the other Grotesque and Knight have a Rokkit squad in front of them.

I shoot and destroy Mad Dok's ride with the Bright Lance from the Guardians for First Blood.  The WK misses and I prepare to charge.

I attempt to charge the Succusbus and fail the 4'' charge (needed a 6 because of terrain).  I make the WK and the Autarch into Mad Dok.  The Autarch's squad sweeps Mad Dok (who I thought was fearless or could not be swept, but my opponent said he could be).  The WK glances on HoW and whiffs on all of his attacks... Against AV 10, being str. 10... Terrible...

Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! 10251906_654365814871_3312545605209345931_n

Orks Turn 1

John shoots to little avail other than a 5 wounds off of the Wraithknight, but he did shoot his entire army at it!   He keeps his guys inside as they cannot assault and want the protection of the Wagon.  He does retreat a bit away from the Grotesques and the Knight.

No pictures as it was a pretty uneventful turn.

DE get both Maelstorm, Orks get 1

DE 2-1 Maelstorm

DE Turn 2

DE Maelstorm- Kill a unit, No Man's Land
Orks Maelstorm- Kill a unit, No Man's Land

Both Razorwings come in on opposite sides to get side shots on the wagons. Serpent moves up to get side armor on the far Wagon with the Autarch.  Looking back, I should have done a different one, but it worked out.  The Succubus moves towards the other Rokkit Wagon.

Shooting sees the Wagon destroyed and kills about 6 of them in the blast.  The Razorwings don't do anything to the Wagons and the WK fails to do any damage.  

Assault sees the Autarch and Grots make their charge and sweep the Rokkits.  The Succubus fails their 6'' charge (needed an 8!).  I don't try the WK because he needed an 11 against a backfield Rokkit Wagon.

Ork Turn 2

Orks move up the Wagons and disembark the Warboss and Boyz and the last wagon of Rokkits.  The other backfield Wagon shuffle to shoot the WK.  He sets his squads up for a huge multi-charge.  I allow him to disembark the way he wants even though his Boyz are clearly within an inch but I let it go and allow him to.

Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! 10931508_654365789921_3010747267811300345_n

Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! 1507727_654365754991_195001739965153626_n

Shooting takes down the Wraithknight and the other shooting does nothing.

Charges see the Rokkits multicharge the Grotesques, Serpent, and empty Raider.  Boyz+Boss charge the Front Venom and make it with their reroll.  In CC, the Grotesques kill all but 2 of the Rokkits!  They then whiff on the Raider.  They proceed to kill themselves from the failed morale check.  Boyz + Boss easily dominate the Venom and 1 dies from the Explosion.

Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! 10407725_654365695111_8232663098941017493_n

DE kill a unit but middle is contested.
Orks kill a unit but middle is contested.

DE 3-2 Maelstorm

DE Turn 3

DE Maelstorm- Kill a unit, 3 backfield and zero enemy
Ork Maelstorm- Kill a unit, 3 backfield and zero enemy

By this time, my opponent has 1 complete wagon with 15 Rokkits, 2 empty Wagons, and the Warboss with a handful of Boyz.  I am feeling very confident as I have lost next to nothing!

Dragons come on and Flat Out! to the backfield of the Orks.  Both planes turn and go towards the backfield Wagon as well.   I shuffle the Venoms to maximize damage while preventing a multicharge.

Shooting sees nothing happen to either Wagons but I do thin the boyz down while the Boss makes many Luckystikkk 2+ rerolls.  (That thing is good!)  I mess up and don't shoot things in the right order as I could have shot the Dessies at the Boss but don't.  I also think the Stikk is only allowed 3 rerolls for the turn not 3 failed.  So I should have read it and known it but that's on me.

Assault sees the Autarch and friends blow up the Warboss Wagon.  The Succubus and Grots join in and wreck the other.

Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! 11011432_654365670161_8602692834085100625_n

Ork Turn 3

I have no more pictures as we were running low on time.

Warboss and Boyz set up to charge the Warriors and a Venom while moving towards the Guardians on my Emperor's Will objective.  Rokkits chill in the back.

Shooting, the Rokkits cause a Razorwing to Jink but only pull 1 glance as I Jink the Pen away.

Boss and Boyz make the multicharge and kill the Warriors, blow the Venom an kill all 5 guys in the Venom!  

DE kill a unit but Warboss contest backfield.
Orks kill a unit but don't have 3 units and DE contest backfield!

DE 4-3 Maelstorm

DE Turn 4

DE Maelstorm- Kill a unit, 3 units in backfield
Ork Maelstorm- 3 units in backfield, No Man's land

I know going in I need to achieve both Maelstorm and I can seal the game as Ill have Linebreaker and First Blood. But my opponent can't achieve his two so I know I win the Maelstorm.

Dragons move to blast the Wagon and to claim Line Breaker.  Succubus and Grotesques move to grab his Emperor's Will.  I shuffle Venom and forget to move the Guardians a few inches away! Both Razorwings fly off.  I also move my last Venom away from my Emperor's Will instead of in Flat Out range!

Shooting kills the Wagon and many many Rokkits.  They become pinned.  I also thin down a few more boyz but nothing on the Boss.

No assaults.

Orks Turn 4

This is the last turn of the game.

Orks Waagh! and grab a 6'' move, a 6'' run, and then rolls an 11 on the charge!  23'' inches into my Guardians.  They get slaughtered and he is now on my objective!  Ahh!  I don't know what happened, I thought I was safe, but it turns out miracles can happen.  He really only needed 21'' but rolled expertly and got there!  I totally missed the opportunity to move them or to contest with more units.

Game is called.  My opponent ends the game with a Warboss, 3 Boyz, and 5 Rokkits left!

DE killed a unit but Warboss contests!
Orks did not achieve either Maelstorm.

DE wins Maelstorm 5-3!

We tie Primary, I pull ahead on Maelstorm, and I have First Blood, and Line Breaker.
My opponent has Line Breaker.

DE win 5-1!

Post Game Analysis:
Wow!  What a close game!  That charge at the end really makes we glad I try so darn hard for maelstrom!  I thought I was safe, but John was keeping the Waagh! in his back pocket!  Thankfully I had Maelstorm and the Tertiary points!  Winning 5-1 isn't a huge win but it gets me off to a good start.

Scouting those Wagons definitely did my opponent in I believe.  My first turn could have and should have been much more devastating!  With the Grotesques and Succubus failing a 6''' charge and the WK totally whiffing 5 attacks hitting on 3's is terrible luck!  However, I was rewarded with the victory.

I really felt rusty and got too comfortable at the end and lazy with my movements and I thought I had It in the bag.  Whats good is that this was the first game and it really made me stay sharp for the rest of the tournament.  

MVP unit:  Autarch and Grotesques-  They did great destroying 2 Wagons and a crap load of Boyz, Rokkits, and Mad Dok himself!

Thanks for reading and please give comments or criticisms as you see fit!  My phone isn't the best so the quality of photos is not very clear.  I did what  I could.  Hope you enjoyed!

Next game up vs Astra Militarum!  Stay tuned for preview and list comparisons!
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 09:26

The Dok is indeed fearless, so shouldn't have been swept, but that's on your opponent to know. Bringing him to make a unit fearless seems to me to be the main reason to take him (I know that's why I do it), so to forget that was remiss of him. Da Lucky Stikk does in fact allow you as many rerolls to hit, wound or save as you like in a turn, but if any three are failed the model is removed as a casualty. In other words, yes, it is that good!

Going into the game I thought your opponent could have made it close, as he had a lot of armour 14 which I thought you might struggle to put down with a relatively small number of lances, but scouting those wagons was a really bad move. With the new Waaagh rules and boarding planks, it's very possible to get a second turn charge off with orks - he should really have moved them normally, shot all the rokkits off, then got out and charged. Multi-charging so much stuff was very dangerous too, orks really need the extra attacks from charging to actually win a fight, or at least to do enough damage to win it in subsequent rounds. Waving goodbye to Furious Charge doesn't help either. Anyway, well played, congratulations on the win! Those Grotesques were devastating!

Sybarite
Sigmaril

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 11:45

Quote :
Going in I had not played John before but had seen him play a few games and knew he was a top notch player.
I guess he was nervous, then? Because from reading this report, "top notch" is close to the bottom of the list of things I would call him...
Back to top Go down
SCP Yeeman
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 17:09

Sigmaril wrote:
Quote :
Going in I had not played John before but had seen him play a few games and knew he was a top notch player.
I guess he was nervous, then? Because from reading this report, "top notch" is close to the bottom of the list of things I would call him...

I had seen him beat multiple competent players in my area. And he did tell me he was not experienced with the new DE book. Not knowing you can charge on Turn 1 was a huge blunder and lost him the game.

You are correct in saying he does not appear to be top notch and this battle report does not show it, but he would finish 4-2 at this tournament and last week finished 4-2 I believe at LVO with the same list.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 21:12

Good report Yeeman.

I should have remembered to take pictures at the LVO.
Will try at gottacon.

I absolutely love your list.  I have only played the grots a few times with the new book, but they worked great and I love them. After this tournament I will likely add them to my army again.  I really want to try the grotesquery formation.

What are your opinions on WWP grots? Worth it? I think raiders are probably better, but there is something to be said about having a unit of 5 grots with abby w/agoniser dropped backfield

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 22:39

Thanks! I remember in the beginning of most games but as the games go on, I forget because our rounds were only 2hrs 15mins long! So we had to move and most of them are in my opponents turn.

Appreciate the comment on the list. I changed it last minute to include 2 Grotesque squads instead of just 1. I want to try and fit the Grotesquerie in but having the Haemonculus tax is making it hard. I throw the Sump and Scissorhands on him or a Portal, but the points for him are rough to find. I could really use Fleet from the Grot Formation because I fail a ton of short charges in this tournament and it pissed me off!

I have tried WWPing 6 Grots in and it worked ok. But I found myself walking them quite a bit to block lanes and forcing my opponent to deal with them. They would often be in CC by turn 2 or 3 because some of my opponents would Drop Pod in or have some assault unit to challenge me.

I definitely see merit in it because armies like AM or Tau can be a pain as you are just walking into a gunline or trying to fly paper mache airplanes at them. DSing in front of them and forcing fire is a nice tactic, but other fast armies can avoid them when you drop which forces them to walk anyway. Plus the earliest they enter CC on your choosing is turn 3, which can be rough for a 400+pts unit.

I prefer the Raiders because it gives them extra protection and I am fast enough to put them where needed. Terrain plays a huge factor, but they have both worked out for me. Helps a lot when you go first too! I originally had them with Sails, but found that extra 6'' often put them in more trouble rather then ensuring a charge.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 22:57

You liking the soulshrive for the autarch so far?

It looks very useful for a combat unit

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 23:10

He was very consistent getting up to Strength 5-7 consistently in games. Getting to 4 or 5 is the key early. Its tough wounding on 5's and then having the opponent have an invulnerable save and making it. But getting up early helps him and the unit stay up and perform and makes them very scary. He'll have 5 attacks on the charge, WS 6, master-crafted (forgot to mention that in other thread), and then wounding on 2s or 3s is very nasty and scary!

The succubus actually under performed for me, but I used her more as bait usually for Warlord and people took it. Having Grotesques with an AP 2 weapon makes them able to harm anything in the game, plus each of my HQs have Haywire Grenades so they can threaten walkers as well.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 23:20

Doesn't the fusion gun take one of his weapons so he does not gain the bonus attack for being double armed?

Just curious at in my list I have 4 points to spend and would add a scorpion chainsword to my autarch so he is st4 the next round

Looking forwards to your other reports

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26 2015, 05:52

The Fusion Gun is a "Take 2" area for autarch. Does not replace and he still has the pistol and the sword, both 1 handed so he is good to go for the 5 attacks as far as I know.

Chainsword is always an option for him. Cheap and actually pretty darn good.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02 2015, 05:49

The raider for the fire dragon is awesome.

Played that at gottacon this weekend.  I usually deep struck in the raider. Sometimes the wave serpent was better, but overall the raider is so much more useful for them

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09 2015, 04:24

Imagine Fire Dragons on a Raider with a WWP Archon with a Blaster. Kekekeke.

Good job though, capitalizing on his mistake definately swayed the game in your favor.
Back to top Go down
SCP Yeeman
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09 2015, 04:37

I was using these games at the tournament to see if a WWP was necessary. Turns out all tournament long, they misshaped once (I needed to stick the DS or auto mishap). I don't think they need a WWP because they can always get out 6'' and Battle Focus D6 more if they have to get out and kill something.

Plus, I need the Grotesques to have a character with them and shelling out another 100pts for an HQ would have been tough!

Appreciate the comments!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!   Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yeeman goes to Battle for the Mountain GT! Game 1 Posted!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Realspace Raids
-
Jump to: