THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Some possums wander by mistake

Go down 
+6
Rathian
Count Adhemar
spellcheck2001
Calyptra
The_Burning_Eye
punk possum
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

Some possums wander by mistake Empty
PostSubject: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeFri May 15 2015, 23:51

Hi all
So I should admit up front I'm an addict. I just don't seem to be able to get enough plastic, resin, metal to ever fully satiate my compulsion to paint, kitbash, convert or just horde.
Right now that's out of the way currently I'm on a pretty heavy Dark Elder compulsion but I'm also notoriously fickle. So this is my topic of many things Very Happy
Why start this now? Well its my sons birthday soon and he likes Space Wolves now having a Dad that is a gamer means that the poor chap is doomed to get gamer type things for his Birthdays and Christmas. Any hoo this year he is getting a Blood claw pack for his space wolves so I've been sneakily building space wolves when he is in bed and now I've got to the painting them bit.
The first two are done
Some possums wander by mistake 006_3
Some possums wander by mistake 008_3
I was quite pleased with this chaps power axe:
Some possums wander by mistake 009_1

So I've got the other 8 to do whilst he sleeps and I'm hoping to get an old Logan Grimnar (I just don't like the new santa sleigh version) done for him too.
Back to top Go down
punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeMon May 18 2015, 19:07

So the little chap has been to sleep a few times since Saturday so I've got a few more wolves of Fenris done.
Some possums wander by mistake 006_4
Some possums wander by mistake 003_8
Some possums wander by mistake 002_9
So that puts me at half way...
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeTue May 19 2015, 13:35

If I could offer a little bit of constructive criticism?

On the whole I think these guys look great, but their eyes could do with a little work (I know, horrible things to paint). Eyes generally look better and less 'crazy' if you only include a small amount of white. Look at any photo and you'll see that white is generally limited to the very corners, with the majority taken up by the pupil.

It's something I did for years, trying to make the black dot as small as possible and it was only in the last year or so when I read a comment that I realised I was making things worse by trying to make them smaller.

Of course with Space Wolves you can legitimately go for the crazy look...

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeTue May 19 2015, 14:32

Another thing you can do is not use a pure white on the eyes. If you look at a lot of cartoons, you'll notice that they often use an off white or even a yellow for the "whites" of eyes, and it's to avoid that crazy look. (I generally just keep my white paint thin, so it's a bit translucent and doesn't pop too much.)

Having both pupils pointing in the same direction helps too. Smile

I love the title of this thread. Is it a Sisters of Mercy reference?

Back to top Go down
punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeTue May 19 2015, 23:22

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
If I could offer a little bit of constructive criticism?

Yes absolutely, thanks eyes are tricky little blighters, my eye methord is to paint the orb black and then dot the whites in. usually it works ok sometimes well like this Angel of vengeance I did a while back.
Some possums wander by mistake 005-7

However its a method that isn't well suited to rushing a project whilst your son sleeps! Thanks for your suggestions I'll try doing them a bit differently on the next few.

Calyptra wrote:
Another thing you can do is not use a pure white on the eyes. If you look at a lot of cartoons, you'll notice that they often use an off white or even a yellow for the "whites" of eyes, and it's to avoid that crazy look. (I generally just keep my white paint thin, so it's a bit translucent and doesn't pop too much.)

Having both pupils pointing in the same direction helps too. Smile

I love the title of this thread. Is it a Sisters of Mercy reference?

Ah yes the famous multi directional stare of the newly inducted space wolf Embarassed
Thanks for the suggestions on colour, not something I had ever really thought too much about.
And yes you win my eternal respect for spotting the title reference.

Last edited by punk possum on Tue May 19 2015, 23:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : put the photo in i referenced)
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeTue May 19 2015, 23:52

punk possum wrote:

And yes you win my eternal respect for spotting the title reference.

Some friends and I made a road trip from Boston to Philly to see them play back in (I think) '97. I've seen them live a few times since, but I really cherish the memories from seeing them play that first time.

I should have mentioned: there's a lot that I really like about these models. The muted colors work really well, and I like the broad, soft-edged lines in the shading and highlighting; they look like I imagine space vikings should. Mind you, I hate Space Wolves. I think they're just about the dumbest thing GW has ever come up with, and they keep making them stupider with things like Thunderwolves. I have an entire rant about this, which I will spare you; I'm only bringing it up so that you have some context when I say that I like these models.

Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeWed May 20 2015, 20:10

Hey Punk. A quick tip for the eyes that I use (and it looks good too) is to give the area around the white bit a slight wash with nuln oil (just go around the edge of the eye with a very fine paintbrush and a minimal amount of wash, you don't want it to pool, just shade) This deepens the look of the eye socket and also dulls down the outer white part of the eye a little. The effect is very good and so simple to achieve. Give it a try and see what you think.

Vlka Fenryka!

SC jocolor

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeThu May 21 2015, 00:46

Calyptra wrote:

Some friends and I made a road trip from Boston to Philly to see them play back in (I think) '97. I've seen them live a few times since, but I really cherish the memories from seeing them play that first time.
Wow that's some dedication its what 300ish miles each way? I've see the sisters a fair few times, but never anything to match that trip! I feel a bit conflicted about Space wolves, my first power armoured army was space wolves but back then all that meant was they were grey with a yellow wolf head on their shoulder so I have a bit of a soft spot for them but I'm not totally sold on some elements that have been added in over the years. My son though loves them and thinks thunderwolves are fantastic and he adores the company of heroes thing.

Spellcheck, thanks for the tip I'll give it a go, I got a lovely Windsor and newton series7 000 brush for my birthday so now I know what to use it for Very Happy
Sadly I didn't read spellchecks tip earlier so today I cracked on whilst the little fella was at school and I was on my day off. I got these chaps done which was nice
   Some possums wander by mistake 004_4
hope the eyes are better opinions anyone?
Some possums wander by mistake 005_5
As for this chap well I guess an augmetic is in his future (also a cunning way of only doing one eye Very Happy  )
Right that's it for now as ever C&C welcome (and any cunning tips) thanks for checking in.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeThu May 21 2015, 08:30

Those eyes definitely look better in my opinion! The squad is coming together nicely, can't wait to see them all together!

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeThu May 21 2015, 10:14

For eyes I tend to paint the white and then use the end of a cocktail stick/toothpick to dot in the colour as I find a brush can be very tricky for something so small and precise.

punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeThu May 21 2015, 23:14

Thanks all,
I now have a veritable smorgasbord of eye ideas to try out!
TBE Thanks I haven't painted any thing in power armour for a fair while now and I'm kinda enjoying it, I'm also looking forward to getting them all done and handed over I just hope the boy likes them!
Back to top Go down
punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeSat May 23 2015, 23:08

There was the dull crack as the stormfang's ablartive atmosphere shields contacted the upper troposphere of Lv817 on its decent to the surface and the war that raged there. Inside its troop hold the blood claws fidgeted one looked over at his brother next to him, both had only recently started their journey to become star warriors of the Allfather but both had changed radically, now gene bulked, taller and faster than they had once been they still had a long way till they were fully remade in the Allfathers image both were eager to prove their worth. "These pistols are truly the weapons of the gods don't you think" said one his lime stiffened red hair almost a match for the eager fire in his eyes. "Pistols? No it is our blades that set us out as warriors born, only with a blade can we unleash the wrath of Russ and the Allfather." Said his brother "What but what about the awesome power of pew pew?" retorted the first "Nope I like chopping things up I'd throw my pistol away but I know its a sacrilege to dishonour the weapons of the Chapter". "Humm" pondered the flame haired blood claw "wait a moment by the tail of the jorgamunder, I know! How about we well you know swap? I'll take your pistol and dispense righteous fury with it and you can have my Chainsword and smite the impure with it?" the second looked thoughtfully at his compainons sword for a moment there was no doubt it had been kept in pristine condition "Yes by all the winds of the ice plains that sounds like the sort of cunning only Ragnar Blackmane could manage. Let us swap right now and between us we shall teach the heratic the breadth of our cleverness!"  Listening quietly to this exchange was another of the blood claws as the ready lights came on glowing a steady amber he pick up his helmet put it on and as with a snap hiss the pressure seals engaged he looked along the line of his pack none of the other had remembered to bring their helmets fools he thought do they want their stupid heads blown off? he unmaglocked his meltagun from the storage rack as the ready lights turned to green, softly chanting the invocation to the sun wolfs wrath he blink clicked the targeting runes up on the right eye lens. The ready lights turned red the ramp slammed down raising a bllowing cloud of dust as one the blood claws surged up from the restraint thrones and pounded down the assault ramp some howling to release the excitement. As the final member of the pack ran down the ramp he gave a sudden shout "Ouch that really really hurt, Some begger's just shot me right in the eye!" the melta gunner just shook his head sadly He wanted to say told you so but now didn't seem like quite the right moment.
   Some possums wander by mistake 004_5
Some possums wander by mistake 003_10
Some possums wander by mistake 005_6

And finally the Packs family portrait
Some possums wander by mistake 006_5
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeWed May 27 2015, 18:27

Looking good mate!

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
Rathian
Kabalite Warrior
Rathian

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeThu May 28 2015, 14:15

Lovely paint jobs there! Great to see Smile

Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeSun May 31 2015, 23:33

Thank you all for your kind words.
This particular distraction is now at an end. I'm glad to report that the boy was very happy with his new squad, on the flip side his brother felt that maybe I would like to paint Ungrim iron fist for his dwarf army! I have accepted the commission in exchange for washing my car and mowing the lawn. So next on the distraction list is a stunty hero. Who knows maybe I'll get round to doing so thing for myself sooner or later that isn't Dark kin related...
Back to top Go down
punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29 2015, 23:29

So Its been a while since I did anything much. But I'm in full on get some 40K stuff done mode!
I'm trying to get an Angels of Vengeance (a Dark angel successor chapter) Lions Blade strike force together to compliment my raven wing biker-rama.
This means I need 3 tactical Squads, 1 assault squad and 1 devastator squad with either a company master or a chaplain. As it stands I've 2 tactical squads and that's it. I can split one of the tac squads into 2 5 man squads for the purposes of the formation minimums so I'm looking to do 1 Dev squad 1 assault squad and a company master/chaplain. I've started with the Dev's.
    Some possums wander by mistake 005
Some possums wander by mistake 003
The new Devastator box is really nice with plenty of MKVI options which makes me happy.
There are 2 of each weapon options and the sergeant gets a whole bunch of options. On the down side it only comes with ultramarine decals now, fine if you want smurfs less fine if you want anything else. Fortunately I bought some Angels of Vengeance decals when they were still available.
Back to top Go down
punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04 2015, 22:00

So I've got another DEv done 3 down 2 to go, and then every thing else...
Some possums wander by mistake 001

So what do you think? let me know I'm always open to suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Calindor
Hellion
Calindor

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05 2015, 09:23

I think they look very good. I would change nothing
Back to top Go down
punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07 2015, 23:54

Calindor wrote:
I think they look very good. I would change nothing

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like them. Hope you like this next lot too!
So a bit more progress from the possum workshop
1st the second las cannon dev.
Some possums wander by mistake 002_2
I did rush this one a bit but I think I've mostly got away with it...

next the sarge
Some possums wander by mistake 002_1
Now him I was pleased with, I think I might have been a bit heavy handed with the groin guards highlights but this is version 3 and they were all much the same so I decided that enough was enough and in the plastic its not nearly so glaring.
And finally they squad shot,
 Some possums wander by mistake 001_1
As I said earlier the new devs box is really rather nice overall and I have noticed that there are 6 sets of legs on the sprue and I have spare bodies from my upcoming assault dudes so with all the weapon options in the box I can easily make up another devastator with either a grav cannon a plasma cannon, a multi melta or a heavy bolter so that's nice!
As always I love to know what my fellow denizens think till next time
Back to top Go down
punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12 2015, 00:12

So the Angels of vengeance recruitment drive continues, Next up is an assault squad.
The new assault squad box is also really jolly nice and overall a big improvement over the old one just putting Ultramarine decals in the boxes seems to be a thing now. I guess the hope is you'll rush out and buy the chapter specific decal sets if your doing a non codex faction, not so cool if your a black Templars, white scar or salamander player but hopefully they will get something soon or buy the Forge World sheets...
Any how on to my dudes
 Some possums wander by mistake 025
And another brother of the 7th squad 3rd company
Some possums wander by mistake 001_2
2 down 3 to go...
Back to top Go down
punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17 2015, 02:09

Well a few days on and the squad is complete.
Some possums wander by mistake 002_4
Some possums wander by mistake 001_4
Some possums wander by mistake 001_3

I'm starting to really like how this force is shaping up, it'll be a very solid partner for my existing Ravenwing, but what makes me happiest of all is I'm pretty pleased with how they look.
Please let me know, what do you think?
Have I finally got painting black right?
Have you any suggestions on how to improve?
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17 2015, 09:03

You have nailed the black. I really struggle to paint it but your method is great. They are looking really good. I like the orange stripe on their helmets. It adds a real nice spot colour to the models and makes them pop.

SC jocolor

Back to top Go down
punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18 2015, 01:43

spellcheck2001 wrote:
You have nailed the black. I really struggle to paint it but your method is great. They are looking really good. I like the orange stripe on their helmets. It adds a real nice spot colour to the models and makes them pop.

SC jocolor

Thank you so much, you'll forgive me if I don't quite believe you about struggling to paint black, you are without a doubt one of my true hobby inspirations. What you have done with your carnival is one of the reasons I didn't abandon GW altogether following my snit over Age of Sigmar.
Still on the off chance that I can help out a hero, the black is actually jolly easy.
I spent years making it much more complicated than it needs to be.
Its just Abbadon black with a reasonably thick eshin grey line highlight followed by fenrisian grey the trick seems to be to be sparing with the fenrisian grey only going for sharp edges and I've tried to be consistent with my imaginary light source. That's it.
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18 2015, 09:20

Age of Sigmar can die in a fire and then sink into the swamp. (I think my own snit isn't over yet.)

I have some trouble with black too. I'm gradually learning that with black, less is more. Which is difficult for me, because I have always maintained that more is more.

Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18 2015, 10:14

punk possum wrote:
spellcheck2001 wrote:

SC jocolor

Thank you so much, you'll forgive me if I don't quite believe you about struggling to paint black, you are without a doubt one of my true hobby inspirations. What you have done with your carnival is one of the reasons I didn't abandon GW altogether following my snit over Age of Sigmar.
Still on the off chance that I can help out a hero, the black is actually jolly easy.
I spent years making it much more complicated than it needs to be.
Its just Abbadon black with a reasonably thick eshin grey line highlight followed by fenrisian grey the trick seems to be to be sparing with the fenrisian grey only going for sharp edges and I've tried to be consistent with my imaginary light source. That's it.      

I........ Wow thanks dude. I am humbled and touched by your words. I am sad that AOS had such a negative impact for you but I am super chuffed that you managed to stick through it and are still in the hobby. I find that it is actually the modelling and fluff that keeps me in this game. A lot of the time all the super powered crap and broken formations are just not fun to play against, and the whole imbalance is incredibly frustrating. However I always go back to my hobby desk and remember why I am really still in this game, for the friends I play with who make the game manageable and enjoyable, to the creativity and customisation the model range & background offers. I will always hobby no matter what GW does to this game, but I know If I had been a WFB player and had that happen to my game I would not be pleased in the slightest.

Your black method is simple but very effective, and you execute it with skill, which is why it looks awesome. I really do struggle with black, but I will try your method and see how I go Smile

SC jocolor

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some possums wander by mistake   Some possums wander by mistake I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some possums wander by mistake
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next