THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Liquid green stuff

Go down 
+3
Local_Ork
SirTainly
Mr Believer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

Liquid green stuff Empty
PostSubject: Liquid green stuff   Liquid green stuff I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03 2011, 15:54

I went in to my local store to buy some liquid green stuff the day after it had come out, but they'd sold out of all of it already! Does anyone have any, and if so is it any good? I was hoping it wouldn't just be good for filling in gaps, because I'd like to maybe dribble some and let it harden so it looks like oozing liquid, and perhaps coat roughly filed areas to leave a smoother, more natural finish, but is it suitable for either of those?

Sybarite
SirTainly

Liquid green stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid green stuff   Liquid green stuff I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 00:38

Yes it's very good. It's like a thick paint, that can be thinned with water if necessary. Brushes can be cleaned with water after using it too. When it dries it tend to flatten out so not so great for the dribbling ooze.
Back to top Go down
http://fortwargame.blogspot.com/
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

Liquid green stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid green stuff   Liquid green stuff I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 07:56

NCODB from Da Waaaagh wrote:

Went in to my local GW last weekend to pick up a copy of Dreadfleet, and was quite surprised to find this new product appear out of nowhere:

Liquid green stuff LiqGrnStuff

No, it's not an April Fools joke, it's actually real.

Before buying it, i asked the staff how it works, how quickly it sets, and what sort of consistancy it has. These are what I was told, and what I found when i tried it for myself:

- It can be applied by whatever you chose, but the example they showed me in the White Dwarf was by paint brush, which worried me as i didn't know if it would ruin it, but it's apparantly water solluable, so should be fine. I used a sculpting tool at first when testing it, then an old paint brush, and that didn't seem to bad as long as you wash it immediately after - just like using paint. I found that using the brush gave me more control when applying it, but smoothing it out after application with a sculpting tool made all the difference when applied thickly.

- It begins to cure a couple of minutes after application, but it isn't fully set for a couple of hours, maybe more. When i was testing it, i let it set for 24 hours before working with it further. Very thin sections seem a little brittle, but you get the same with very thin greenstuff layers anyways.

- Consistancy wise, the staff weren't quite sure how to describe it, until one of them said it was very similar to toothpaste. When I tested it out, that seemed accurate enough, however there seemed to be some extremely fine particles within the fluid, giving it an almost fine gritty feel. I found it's pretty good for filling gaps, particularly if you use a tissue or sculpting tool to flatten it out and file or sandpaper it smooth. Surprisingly, it sands down quite nicely once it's fully cured.

I've done some testing on a 1:650 scale Original Series USS Enterprise, and a beakie Rhino, and so far i've had some good results. The Enterprise had small overlapping on some sections of hull, which was easily filled and filled down. However the Rhino's deeper crevasses, particularly those running along the length of the chassis on the top on either side next to the exhausts, seem to be much harder to fill, even with careful positioning to try and minimise any gaps. It does shrink a little when it dries, but it only seems to happen when you slap it on thickly, so multiple coats may be a good idea if you're filling large sections. :sowhat It's time consuming for large areas that need filling and filing, but the end results seem absolutely worth it. :biggrin

I have no idea what this stuff is made of, but some people on other forums have speculated that it is merely coloured PVA glue. The consistancy, and the grit within it, doesn't convince me it's simply PVA in a pot, but it doesn't seem to be epoxy.

I feel that it makes a very good gap filler, but there's no way it will ever replace actual epoxy putty if you want to sculpt details - It's not solid enough to sculpt detail in to while it's still wet, and when it dries, it becomes a little gritty until it's fully settled, which will ruin any details you want to imprint. One potential use i've thought of though is making molds for certain details. For example, some people make custom purity seals, make a mold out of greenstuff, and use that time and time again to make as many of these additional details as they like. Though it might be hard to use it to make full pieces, like molds of heads or weapons, it may be possible to use for things such as purity seals, chapter symbols, glyphs, etc. Make sure you use a release agent over what you want to mold, otherwise it will stick, just like actual molding materials. I'm yet to try this out myself, but if/when I do, i'll be sure to share the results. Smile

In the end, I am quite impressed with this product for what it was intended for - Gap filler. However, for actual sculpting, it'd be best to stick to actual Green Stuff or similar sculpting medium. Finally, it has potential as a molding agent, but in my opinion it'd be best to stick to actual molding materials if you wish to do large objects.

Final recommendation - Get some! You won't regret it! :thumbs
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

Liquid green stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid green stuff   Liquid green stuff I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 11:24

Thanks for reposting that Local Ork, that answers every question I had!

Kabalite Warrior
Urien Rakarth

Liquid green stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid green stuff   Liquid green stuff I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 12:43

If you want to try something else that costs a lot less for a lot more, try Milliput. It's similar to green stuff but also water soluble so you can use it for gap filling and because it's not in a "liquid" state it'll keep for a long time!
Back to top Go down
http://6inchmove.wordpress.com
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

Liquid green stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid green stuff   Liquid green stuff I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 13:13

Yeah, miliput (for that application cheapest "grey-yellow") is AWESOME. Trust wannabe-sculptor Wink

Also epoxy glues are good, if You pick fiberless (sometimes manufacturers add carbon fiber, especially to non-transparent ones) then You can sculp it pretty well (I made welded metal plates that way for my Orks)
Back to top Go down
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

Liquid green stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid green stuff   Liquid green stuff I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 01:31

I saw that this was coming out, I immediately thought they just did a milliput mix into a pot.

My biggest concern is the pots are terrible for having stuff dry around the hinges and top of the pot. What happens when you greenstuff closed your greenstuff pot?

I'm going to try one pot and see how it works out, and judge in a couple months time.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

Liquid green stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid green stuff   Liquid green stuff I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 02:05

Actually new GW pots seems pretty airtight. Maybe this is not Reaper "bottle" but pretty close to PP stuff. Should be OK.
Back to top Go down
Hydra
Kabalite Warrior
Hydra

Liquid green stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid green stuff   Liquid green stuff I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 09:48

And, for even longer fun with it, keep it in the fridge (next to Greenstuff and all the other putties you use...)

Hive Fleet Hydra

Kabal of the Poisoned Fang
Back to top Go down
http://h-archive.blogspot.de/
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

Liquid green stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid green stuff   Liquid green stuff I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 10:24

I hope they use good emulsifier for that. Otherwise You can have ice + green precipitation if it freeze (I keep my putties next to rock-hard parts of dead bodies. Animals parts, mind you, animal...).

However in fridge with +0 °C, +32 °F or +273 K (liquid) it should be ok.
Back to top Go down
abjectus
Kabalite Warrior

Liquid green stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid green stuff   Liquid green stuff I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 12:32

or +492 °R, the least used of all.

I thought liquid greenstuff was a prewatered down miliput, then I thought about it. The premixed miliput would harden in container because it doesn't dry. It has a chemical reaction between the two parts. Miliput is still a cheaper alternative, just don't try mixing a bunch and saving it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Liquid green stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Liquid green stuff   Liquid green stuff I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Liquid green stuff
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-