THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?

Go down 
+6
Phototoxin
Smurfy
howardmonsoonmoon
Lightcavalier
Thor665
Dez
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Dez
Kabalite Warrior
Dez

Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? Empty
PostSubject: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13 2011, 17:20

Hey All,

I'm going to be running 2 units of 5 Scourges, and I was wondering if you all felt it was worth the 10 points to gain 1 leadership for the squad. Do you think the squad should have no Solarite, as they will die fast once they come to your opponents attention?

Thanks!

Dez
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13 2011, 17:42

I tend to believe, that barring getting him for wargear purposes, there's little value to the Solarite.

Let's be honest, by the time you're making the roll with a unit of 5 - you've already lost 2-3 guys. If you have special weapons in the squad - then you've had to debate putting wounds on them, or the Solarite. The only purpose of the SOlarite in a 5 man squad is to...protect the special weapons via a better leadership. So, by the time you're taking leadership, either he's dead or one of the weapons you bought him to save is dead because you wanted to protect the Ld. Meh.

Back to top Go down
Dez
Kabalite Warrior
Dez

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13 2011, 17:53

That's what I was thinking in a squad so small, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

Thanks Thor665!
Back to top Go down
Lightcavalier
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14 2011, 02:02

I take him for the blast pistol...and really only the blast pistol
Back to top Go down
howardmonsoonmoon
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31 2011, 17:32

I am just sticking together my second box of scourges and i am thinking the same thing. The first box got the two haywire and so what to give the second box ??? i think i am going for heat lances as i have had a good time with the ones on my reavers. I was therefore thinking about a solarite with a blast pistol.

This is my thinking, the heatlance scourges have a greater suicide element to them, i could even deep strike them so would having the blast pistol be worth it. I mean then at least i could up the odds of making sure i kill what i aim at and so there sacrifice isnt in vain if i all goes pete tong???

Back to top Go down
Smurfy
Kabalite Warrior
Smurfy

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31 2011, 19:48

Actually, IMO, Heat Lance Scourges are somewhat less suicidal than Reavers since if you feel lucky or have no tanks to shoot at, the Scourges are optimal staying @ 18" whereas the Reavers need to get to 12" to get a good shooting phase off vs. Infantry. On the Anti-Tank account, both are pushing it getting into 9" and then the Reavers have a slight edge with being able to go back out to 15" but, has anyone got this distance down in their head yet? lol
Back to top Go down
Phototoxin
Kabalite Warrior
Phototoxin

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03 2011, 11:29

Thor665 wrote:
I tend to believe, that barring getting him for wargear purposes, there's little value to the Solarite.

Let's be honest, by the time you're making the roll with a unit of 5 - you've already lost 2-3 guys. If you have special weapons in the squad - then you've had to debate putting wounds on them, or the Solarite. The only purpose of the SOlarite in a 5 man squad is to...protect the special weapons via a better leadership. So, by the time you're taking leadership, either he's dead or one of the weapons you bought him to save is dead because you wanted to protect the Ld. Meh.

Excatly - unless you're taking scourges for melee purposes (not exactly the most optimal configuration although i have tried it in 3rd edition) then he's a bit useless.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joerogers.info
Aroshamash
Sybarite
Aroshamash

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03 2011, 13:05

howardmonsoonmoon wrote:
I am just sticking together my second box of scourges and i am thinking the same thing. The first box got the two haywire and so what to give the second box ??? i think i am going for heat lances as i have had a good time with the ones on my reavers. I was therefore thinking about a solarite with a blast pistol.

If you've got a Talos box, use the haywire blasters from that, converting them to use the haywire barrel, and the body of one of the other heavy weapons. It's what I plan to do.

edit: just realised that if you've got a second box, you've got more haywire blasters. Disregard this comment...

Sybarite
Raneth

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03 2011, 21:24

Smurfy wrote:
Actually, IMO, Heat Lance Scourges are somewhat less suicidal than Reavers since if you feel lucky or have no tanks to shoot at, the Scourges are optimal staying @ 18" whereas the Reavers need to get to 12" to get a good shooting phase off vs. Infantry.

This would make sense if the Reavers weren't Eldar Jetbikes. Razz

Smurfy
Kabalite Warrior
Smurfy

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 02:44

Um it still makes sense seeing as you only get 6 shots @ 18" with 6 Reavers (4 (4x1 shots) Rifles, 2 Heat Lances) whereas you get 11 (3 (3x3 shots) Carbines, 2 Heat Lances) with 5 Scourges? Equal points would put the Scourges clearly ahead with 4 (4x3 shots) Carbines and 2 Heat Lances... Basketball
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 04:54

I think Raneth's point is that, as eldar jetbikes, if Reavers shoot from 18" then they end up 24" away - also, they can shoot at 12" and end up 18"

Back to top Go down
Grumpy Kwi
Nightmare Doll on the Loose
Grumpy Kwi

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 19:25

I remember the time I ran a solarite in my large scourge squad, they got shot at the first turn, took casualties and had to take a morale check. I remember thinking, "haha! that is the reason for taking one". I then preceded to roll thinking thank god I had a solarite and then rolled a "10".

I dunno, when I fail a check it isn't usually by just 1 point - after that I never took a solarite again using small squads and just letting the basic stats alone. Solarite, no thank you.

"is that it ?" ....
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 19:35

I too suffer from Boxcaritis when taking leadership tests. I mixed on taking the Solarite. In a ten man unit I would take one every time. In a five man unit I would if there really wasn't anywhere to blow the 10 points on. (not that I ever have ten points to blow!)

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?   Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are Solarites worth the Leadership Boost?
Page 1 of 1