THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions

Go down 
+3
krayd
Bedlam55
Count Adhemar
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions Empty
PostSubject: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 30 2017, 13:05

As 8e has been out for a couple of weeks now (and we've had the leaked rules for a bit longer than that), I thought it was a good time to start putting together a list of questions that people feel need answering by GW. This can be about 40K in general and/or specific armies.

I'll start the ball rolling:

Q: Are Venoms and Ravagers intended to have the Hovering rule that Raiders have?

Q: Is it the intent that non-Ynnari Aeldari units, other than <HAEMONCULUS COVEN> units, Urien Rakarth, Drazhar, Mandrakes and the Avatar of Khaine, cannot be in the same army as any Ynnari units other than Yvraine, the Visarch and the Yncarne?

FAQ 2/7/17
Page 76
– Army of the Reborn
Replace this paragraph with the following:
‘With the exception of <Haemonculus Coven> units, Urien Rakarth, Drazhar, Mandrakes and the Avatar of Khaine, any Aeldari unit can also be Ynnari. Any unit that is gains the Ynnari keyword. These cannot use any of the following abilities, and are not considered to have them: Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Rising Crescendo, Power from Pain. Instead, Ynnari Infantry and Ynnari Biker
units gain the Strength from Death ability, as described below. If your army is Battle-forged, Ynnari units can only be included in Detachments in which all units have the Ynnari keyword .’

Q: Can Ynnari Psykers take powers from the Revenant Discipline?

Q: Is the Stinger Pistol supposed to have the same profile as the Splinter Pistol whilst costing 7 points more?

FAQ 2/7/17
Page 120
– Stinger pistol
Change the Abilities text to read:
‘This weapon wounds on a 2+, unless it is targeting a Vehicle, in which case it wounds on a 6+.’

Q: Acothysts have access to weapons from the Tools of Torment list, which specifies that they replace a ranged weapon. Acothysts have no ranged weapons. Can they simply buy a weapon from the Tools of Torment list at the usual points cost?

Q: How exactly are cluster caltrops supposed to work? Do you roll for them when an enemy unit within 1" of your reavers attempts to fall back, or do you roll for them when the reavers themselves fall back? Do you get one roll per reaver equipped with caltrops?

Q: Does the +1 WS modifier from the Serpentin combat drug cancel out the -1 to hit modifier that the Succubus has when fighting with the archite glaive?

Q: Do weapons that hit automatically still hit automatically when firing overwatch?

Q: The rules for the Void Mine never specify that the targeted unit must have been moved over in the preceding movement phase. Can a Void Mine target a unit it has moved over in any turn?

Q:Are Hellions and Scourges supposed to be able to board a transport without any transport capacity penalties?

FAQ 2/7/17
Pages 56 and 57
– Raiders and Venoms, Transport
Add the following sentence to both units’ datasheets:
‘This model cannot transport Hellions or Scourges.’

Q: To clarify, can I pay, points wise, for 10 wyches and a succubus and get the 10 wych in a squad bonus to their equipment but I can leave one wych out of the game to make room for my Succubus on a raider?

Q: Can Coven Raiders and Venoms be buffed by Haemonculi to increase their Toughness? Likewise, can Wych Raiders re-roll 1's to hit (CC) with a succubus nearby?

Q: How are Combat Drugs supposed to work? After I decide drugs for 6 units do I get free reign? or does the rule of 6 start back over?

Q: Is the Leadership penalty from a hit from a Phantasm Grenade Launcher considered to be a modifier to a Morale test (and therefore applied after any re-rolls)?

Q: In tournament settings, am I allowed to change the Combat Drugs on my units from game to game?

Last edited by Count Adhemar on Sun Jul 02 2017, 22:34; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bedlam55
Hellion
Bedlam55

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02 2017, 03:29

Q: Can Ynnari Psykers take powers from the Revenant Discipline?

A: Only Yvraine and The Yncarne have access to the Revenant Discipline in there entries. (I keep looking hoping I'm reading this wrongly or have missed it somewhere) - I hope this gets FAQ soon because Yvraine cannot ride a Jetbike and I don't have Yncarne yet.

Last edited by Bedlam55 on Sun Jul 02 2017, 09:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02 2017, 03:41

Q: How exactly are cluster caltrops supposed to work? Do you roll for them when an enemy unit within 1" of your reavers attempts to fall back, or do you roll for them when the reavers themselves fall back? Do you get one roll per reaver equipped with caltrops?
Back to top Go down
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02 2017, 03:45

Q: Does the +1 WS modifier from the Serpentin combat drug cancel out the -1 to hit modifier that the Succubus has when fighting with the archite glaive?
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02 2017, 03:47

Most of these are clear RAW... Not sure what exactly this thread is for.

Things like hover and the acothyst tools of torment I get asking but the revenant discipline is black and white.

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02 2017, 03:58

Q: Do weapons that hit automatically still hit automatically when firing overwatch?

* Yes, I know that Reecius said that they do, but I'd rather see an actual official statement from GW on the matter.
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych
TheBaconPope

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02 2017, 04:15

Q: The rules for the Void Mine never specify that the targeted unit must have been moved over in the preceding movement phase. Can a Void Mine target a unit it has moved over in any turn?

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02 2017, 08:56

Massaen wrote:

Things like hover and the acothyst tools of torment I get asking but the revenant discipline is black and white.

Some are clear RAW but that doesn't mean they're not mistakes or omissions (eg, Raiders have Hover but Ravagers don't despite being literally the same model with some extra bits).

So this is a chance to discover if a) they are mistakes and b) does GW care to remedy them?

Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02 2017, 13:12

Count Adhemar wrote:
Q: Is it the intent that non-Ynnari Aeldari units, other than <HAEMONCULUS COVEN> units, Urien Rakarth, Drazhar, Mandrakes and the Avatar of Khaine, cannot be in the same army as any Ynnari units other than Yvraine, the Visarch and the Yncarne?
I am totally confused by that question. Both in terms of what it is actually asking, and why anyone might read in a potential issue there.

Is it suggesting that Aeldari units (minus the exceptions listed) can't be in a Ynnari army for some reason, even though there is a rule explaining how they are included?

For the thread like this to be useful, I would suggest breaking into three sections - genuinely common questions (e.g. Does +1 WS counteract the Archite Glaive penalty for the Succubus?), potential errata (e.g. Stinger Pistol identical profile to Splinter Pistol) and edge case rulings (e.g. Voidraven bombing units it flew over in previous turns).

That way if someone from GW does read our FAQ they hopefully wont be looking at the first few questions, rolling their eyes, and ignoring the rest.

Back to top Go down
Barrywise
Wych
Barrywise

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02 2017, 16:09

Count Adhemar wrote:
Massaen wrote:

Some are clear RAW but that doesn't mean they're not mistakes or omissions (eg, Raiders have Hover but Ravagers don't despite being literally the same model with some extra bits).

So this is a chance to discover if a) they are mistakes and b) does GW care to remedy them?

I've always thought of FAQ's as the bridge between the designer's thoughts and the players. The designer has a rule in their mind, their RAI. and they attempt to write it, without any loop holes as the RAW. The problem is, because everyone can have their own interpretation of the rules, there is a gap between the RAI of the designer and what the players think the RAI are supposed to be. Thus, I think this thread is very necessary, even for the inane questions that might make sense for you, might not make sense for a newer player.

and as much as I'd hate to be that person, it still needs to be asked...

Q:Are Hellions and Scourges supposed to be able to board a transport without any transport capacity penalties?

Q: To clarify, I can pay, points wise, for 10 wyches and a succubus and get the 10 wych in a squad bonus to their equipment but I can leave one wych out of the game to make room for my Succubus on a raider?

Q: Coven Raiders and Venoms can be buffed by Haemonculi to increase their Toughness? Likewise, Wych Raiders can reroll 1's to hit (CC) with a succubus nearby?

Q: How are drugs supposed to work? After I decide drugs for 6 units do I get free reign? or does the rule of 6 start back over?

Q: Is the PGL a modifier?

Q: In tournament settings, am I allowed to changes the drugs on my units from game to game? (I feel like this would be up to the host, maybe this is a bad question)
Back to top Go down
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02 2017, 19:04

Massive FAQ dump today. Answers a *few* questions - still leaves a lot of stuff unanswered.

Two items of note:

- Stinger pistols wound on 2+
- Raiders cannot carry Hellions or Scourges.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/02/warhammer-40000-faq-now-available-july2gw-homepage-post-1/
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02 2017, 22:08

Kantalla wrote:
Count Adhemar wrote:
I am totally confused by that question. Both in terms of what it is actually asking, and why anyone might read in a potential issue there.

Is it suggesting that Aeldari units (minus the exceptions listed) can't be in a Ynnari army for some reason, even though there is a rule explaining how they are included?

No, it's suggesting that they cannot be in the same army as any Ynnari units without themselves being Ynnari, because that is what the rule, as written, says. Fortunately, it's now been addressed in the FAQ.

Page 76
– Army of the Reborn
Replace this paragraph with the following:
‘With the exception of <Haemonculus Coven> units, Urien Rakarth, Drazhar, Mandrakes and the Avatar of Khaine, any Aeldari unit can also be Ynnari. Any unit that is gains the Ynnari keyword. These cannot use any of the following abilities, and are not considered to have them: Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Rising Crescendo, Power from Pain. Instead, Ynnari Infantry and Ynnari Biker units gain the Strength from Death ability, as described below. If your army is Battle-forged, Ynnari units can only be included in Detachments in which all units have the Ynnari keyword .’

So we've gone from having to have an entirely Ynnari army if we want to have any Ynnari at all, to only having to have each detachment be Ynnari, and being allowed to have non-Ynnari detachments in the same army. We can also include Coven units etc in other detachments in the same army.

Barrywise
Wych
Barrywise

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 20 2017, 17:21

Sorry to bother you Count, But I'd like to amend my previous question about how Drugs work.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t15991-over-6-combat-drug-units#192993

I think changing the question to just "how does determining Combat Drug bonuses work?" leaves the question more open for GW to respond to, rather than specifying the "have 6 been taken?" question.

Edit: I've posted the link to their facebook page asking for clarification. I'll update if they respond.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21 2017, 09:47

I think the original question is much more likely to get an answer.

I also think anyone reading that thread is going to think we're all mental! Very Happy

Barrywise
Wych
Barrywise

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21 2017, 15:18

Haha fair enough! Thanks Count.

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions   8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

8th Edition Frequently Asked Questions
Page 1 of 1